Why have the Bills not been more successful? (Poll to end all Polls!)

FireChans

Why have the Bills not been more successful?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Question above

• The Chiefs standing their way (Mahomes/Reid)
    • The Bills getting in their own way (coaching, FO management)
    • Bad luck (injuries, bad draft luck)

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

It was horrible defense. But do you really think, say, Trevor Lawrence or Tua would've pulled that off? I highly doubt it. Beyond the Bills charity, the 13 seconds disaster still required a high level of execution from the Chiefs and an innate understanding of how to quickly identify and attack the weakness in coverage (specifically the positioning of Levi Wallace) by 2 All Pro players in Mahomes and Kelce. 

Strongly disagree. With our defensive alignment I think there's 25+ QBs that could've pulled off the 13 second drive. I'll grant that maybe McD would've called different plays if it wasn't Mahomes back there, but that's impossible to know. 

It's part of what makes 13 seconds just that galling. It's one thing to lose to Mahomes when he pulls magic out of his butt. It's another to literally hand him free plays on a silver platter. I think the average TBD poster could've made the first throw to Tyreek. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, BBFL said:

Yes. 100%. They’ve shown they have a place in this league and can pass the ball. Especially Tua lol what a sh-t example… the guy’s bread and butter is 5-15 yard passes. 😂🤦‍♂️

If you really believe that the majority of QBs can’t make a wide open throw when the defense is 10-15 yards off, again, I don’t know what to tel you…

Zach Wilson could make them. Justin Fields, Daniel Jones, Ridder, Bryce Young, Minshew, Dobbs, Pickett, Trubisky, Rudolph, PJ Walker, Tyler Huntley, Mac Jones… All those “bottom feeder” QBs. 

And as we all know, Tua has been an extremely clutch QB who always comes through with the game on the line 🤷. To make a blanket statement such as yours and then apply it to the situation that occurred late in that game, with a trip to the AFC Championship on the line, is ridiculous. It's not a question of whether all those guys can make those throws, it's whether they would have executed in that moment.

I am in no way absolving McDermott for his abject failure in that game, but let's pump the brakes on the hyperbole. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, buffblue said:

And as we all know, Tua has been an extremely clutch QB who always comes through with the game on the line 🤷. To make a blanket statement such as yours and then apply it to the situation that occurred late in that game, with a trip to the AFC Championship on the line, is ridiculous. It's not a question of whether all those guys can make those throws, it's whether they would have executed in that moment.

I am in no way absolving McDermott for his abject failure in that game, but let's pump the brakes on the hyperbole. 

It’s a blanket statement? I didn’t know me being direct with the words that most QBs can make that throw, then providing context as to how the two you listed could also be blank… Which ever you are referring to. 

Both QBs you stated had multiple game winning drives in their career for pretty sub-par teams. On further depth, talking about a clutch factor Trevor Lawrence, for as underwhelming as I feel, has had a major post-season game where he was clutch… Had to be clutch that whole comeback against the Chargers who were blowing them out @ Half time. 

So what is it? You have to be clutch to complete wide open passes now because of the game context you’re playing in? Keep raising the criteria until you’re right I guess. 

I see it like this: clutch to make a contested throw, clutch to make a rope through coverage, clutch to make a throw that has placement where only the receiver can get it… sure. I never know you had to be clutch to complete wide open gimmes with coverage playing 10+ yards off… Irrespective of what game you’re playing in. You’re not talking about throws where they have to be a TD and they’re 10 yards off playing the EZ. 

I get it. You want the narrative to be that it was, Mahomes, one of the greatest and the greatest who could only do and make those throws as a reason why we lost.. Reality is the majority of QBs in decent collegiate programs and the NFL make those throws. 

14 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

its a healthy mix of all 3 to be honest.

Exactly. All of the above is the correct answer. Now, how would you rank them is a fair question, but it will be a different answer every year. We had the 13 second debacle which was clearly self-inflicted. The last 2 years we were devastated by injuries which were probably the main reason, at least in my mind. 

Oh, and the Chiefs are REALLY good, and they are beating everyone else too. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Exactly. All of the above is the correct answer. Now, how would you rank them is a fair question, but it will be a different answer every year. We had the 13 second debacle which was clearly self-inflicted. The last 2 years we were devastated by injuries which were probably the main reason, at least in my mind. 

Oh, and the Chiefs are REALLY good, and they are beating everyone else too. 

Yep, I agree.

The Chiefs with the #2 defense overall beat the Ravens who had the #1 in points allowed, and #6 in yards allowed in Baltimore by 10-17. What happened to that MVP in this game?

KC beat Miami who had the #2 in points, and #3 in yards offense in the WC round 7-26. 

KC beat the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo 24-27 by a missed FG

Devastated by injuries is the proper term as that Buffalo team went into a gunfight with the Chiefs and ran out of bullets. What McD did with this defense this season was amazing to get by with so many on crutches. 

And that 13-second guy is gone!  That Buffalo defense this season played so aggressively well at times this season despite losing their all-pro CB, LBer. Look how well Edmunds's replacement played and ...

Bills head coach Sean McDermott has RULED OUT WR Gabe Davis (knee), CB Christian Benford (knee), LB Baylon Spector (back) and S Taylor Rapp (calf) for Sunday's AFC Divisional game against the Chiefs.

The other players on the team's injury report, including LB Terrel Bernard, CB Taron Johnson, CB Rasul Douglas and P Sam Martin will either practice today or will be held out of practice and be game time decisions.

Bernard hasn't been able to practice Wednesday or Thursday, but he "has a chance at this point" to play, according to McDermott.

The Bills are set to practice Friday afternoon with the full injury report to be updated after that.

Post-practice update at 3:30 p.m.

Bernard, Johnson, Douglas and Martin are all listed as QUESTIONABLE

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

You want the narrative to be that it was, Mahomes, one of the greatest and the greatest who could only do and make those throws as a reason why we lost.

My previous post about calming down on the hyperbole obviously went unnoticed. Where the @#$! did I say anything even remotely approaching this?

I think everyone here understands that you're not a fan of Sean McDermott (and I would agree), but there's almost no shred of nuance or objectivity in anything you're saying. You make it sound like the plays made on the final drive were the equivalent of completing a pass in a 7 on 7 drill while wearing shorts in July. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

My previous post about calming down on the hyperbole obviously went unnoticed. Where the @#$! did I say anything even remotely approaching this?

I think everyone here understands that you're not a fan of Sean McDermott (and I would agree), but there's almost no shred of nuance or objectivity in anything you're saying. You make it sound like the plays made on the final drive were the equivalent of completing a pass in a 7 on 7 drill while wearing shorts in July. 

You dismiss a guy who makes a living on quick throws after asking could they. Double down on your first response:

”But do you really think, say, Trevor Lawrence or Tua would've pulled that off? I highly doubt it. Beyond the Bills charity, the 13 seconds disaster still required a high level of execution from the Chiefs and an innate understanding of how to quickly identify and attack the weakness in coverage (specifically the positioning of Levi Wallace) by 2 All Pro players in Mahomes and Kelce.”

How are you not implying he is the only one we lose to when you suggest that Mahomes, being the only QB in the above post, and no other QBs; not even Tua or Lawrence are capable? 

Again, if you don’t believe there’s other QBs who can make a gimme throw, there’s nothing else to say. 

I disagree with your assessment that no one else succeeds in that exact same scenarios. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

its a healthy mix of all 3 to be honest.

@FireChans  and you can give us all the ugly faces you want.. its fact.

YES Bad luck with Injuries have hurt us.

YES Coaching and 

YES Mahomes/Reid has to do with it.

All of this is a no brainer man. 

You asked

"Why have the Bills not been more successful? "

instead of asking

"What one thing has made the bills the least successful" 

There is a big difference... 

Answer is easy. All 3. 

• Angry 1

It's extremely hard to win Championships.  You need to have the talent, the coaching and for everything to go right in a season.  The Bills are a very good team but they haven't been able to put it all together yet.  I disagree with those that think the Bills have the best roster in the AFC and that only injuries or McDermott prevented us from going all the way.  I still think there's work they could do to improve the roster.  McDermott needs to continue to evolve as a coach or they need to eventually move on.  I still think the Bills can be a Super Bowl team with Josh Allen but there's work to do.  Right now they truly feel like a Philip Rivers Chargers or Patrick Ewings Knicks team to me.  Good enough to win their division, get a ticket into the dance and make some noise but haven't been good enough to go the distance and win the whole thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

It's extremely hard to win Championships.  You need to have the talent, the coaching and for everything to go right in a season.  The Bills are a very good team but they haven't been able to put it all together yet.  I disagree with those that think the Bills have the best roster in the AFC and that only injuries or McDermott prevented us from going all the way.  I still think there's work they could do to improve the roster.  McDermott needs to continue to evolve as a coach or they need to eventually move on.  I still think the Bills can be a Super Bowl team with Josh Allen but there's work to do.  Right now they truly feel like a Philip Rivers Chargers or Patrick Ewings Knicks team to me.  Good enough to win their division, get a ticket into the dance and make some noise but haven't been good enough to go the distance and win the whole thing.  

THIS! 

Plus, a whole truckload of luck! 

Did the Buffalo Bills have a CB that allowed only one TD pass this season? And that pass was caught by Kalil Shakir in that playoff game and L"Jarius Sneed is the Chief's DB. That other CB on the Chiefs that they moved up and stole out from Buffalo is pretty darn good also in Trent McDuffie. 

That #2 overall Chiefs defense kept them in the SB until Mahomes could work some magic with Kelce.

If more Bills fans would look at that chart I posted they would see that the Buffalo was the second-best team in the NFL over the last five seasons in wins.

Only KC was better. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

@FireChans  and you can give us all the ugly faces you want.. its fact.

YES Bad luck with Injuries have hurt us.

YES Coaching and 

YES Mahomes/Reid has to do with it.

All of this is a no brainer man. 

You asked

"Why have the Bills not been more successful? "

instead of asking

"What one thing has made the bills the least successful" 

There is a big difference... 

Answer is easy. All 3. 

If the choice is only one, then it’s kinda obvious that I would want you to pick what is the “most important.”

Unless you think it makes sense to say “all three but I’m gonna pick the second most important for some reason.”

• Haha (+1) 1

2023 - Bad luck. It was actually kind of amazing the game was as close as it ended up being considering all of our starting CB and LBers were out or severely limited.
2022 - Bad luck partially. Offensive play calling partially. Allen with the partially torn UCL. Von Miller and White out and limited but sucking up a lot of cap space. Plus all the other BS that happened that season.
2021 - Coaching 100%. Really no other explanation.
2020 - Chiefs were just better than us.
2019 - Coaching a bit. Offense and defense underperformed a bit based on the regular season.

So I guess I'd say 30% bad luck, 40% coaching, 30% just not being as good as the other team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2024 at 11:20 AM, FireChans said:

This is hotly debated but I wanna see the thoughts of TBD. Combination of all three as answers is discouraged.

My thoughts are that I have been enjoying the success, otherwise I wouldn’t bother. So many feeling miserable about the few losses. If it’s not fun why do this 

All of the above.  All the reasons provided in the poll have led to them not getting it done.  Sometimes all at the same time.

3 hours ago, Adam said:

My thoughts are that I have been enjoying the success, otherwise I wouldn’t bother. So many feeling miserable about the few losses. If it’s not fun why do this 

It's partly a habit/addiction.  And with a lot of habits/addictions...we still do them even when they are no longer fun.

43 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

All of the above.  All the reasons provided in the poll have led to them not getting it done.  Sometimes all at the same time.

It's partly a habit/addiction.  And with a lot of habits/addictions...we still do them even when they are no longer fun.

And not saying you shouldn’t. Unlike an addiction, this is a choice. Why pick something not enjoyed, personally I don’t understand it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.