Why have the Bills not been more successful? (Poll to end all Polls!)

FireChans

Why have the Bills not been more successful?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Question above

• The Chiefs standing their way (Mahomes/Reid)
    • The Bills getting in their own way (coaching, FO management)
    • Bad luck (injuries, bad draft luck)

• FireChans changed the title to Why have the Bills not been more successful? (Poll to end all Polls!)

Went with Mahomes/Reid. Although 13 seconds was definitely coaching and the Bills getting in their own way. But with 3 playoff losses to the Chiefs, I think the Mahomes/Reid answer in this poll is the correct one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I hate to say it because it is a loser way to go, but I will chalk it up to bad luck... at least the past 2 seasons.  Last year, they had a lot of adversity with the schedule and a traumatic on-field event.  Injuries too.

This season was especially bad with injuries.  It is understated, but they also had a scheduling disadvantage vs the Chiefs.  They had a short week, Chiefs a long one.  Plus the Chiefs got to rest starters an extra week.

The 13 seconds game was a coaching/program error.  I do think McDermott is a good NFL coach and has his teams motivated and ready to play.  It was proven this season.  Things could have gone south quick at 6-6 and instead the team came to play, and especially when McDermott came under attack.

Overall, I think the Bills can/should beat the Chiefs.  They have done it repeatedly in the regular season.  The last 2 times in the playoffs should have won, and I would err more to the side of coaching than I would the Chiefs being too good in both of those instances.  The Bengals seem to be a worse match up than KC.

So its generally a combination IMO

Lots of luck

bad coaching/execution at a few critical times

The Chiefs/Bengals are good (but the Bills should beat them if healthy and we dont have to postpone games and people dont die on the field)

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

I’d vote all three TBH. 

AFCC: Chiefs

13 seconds: Bills getting in their own way & bad luck

Divisional: Bad luck with the injuries to Bernard & Benford. 

Every answer is right. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Went with Mahomes/Reid. Although 13 seconds was definitely coaching and the Bills getting in their own way. But with 3 playoff losses to the Chiefs, I think the Mahomes/Reid answer in this poll is the correct one.

To me, does 13 seconds even happen if we aren’t playing Mahomes? I don’t know, but my suspicion is no.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

To me, does 13 seconds even happen if we aren’t playing Mahomes? I don’t know, but my suspicion is no.

If they play the way they did on defense to the exact same tee, then yes. Doesn’t matter who was under center. 

• Disagree 1

Just now, FireChans said:

13 seconds should never have happened against anyone. 30 seconds I could understand, and I think the Chiefs had a timeout or two at the time. 13 seconds is not enough time even for Mahomes unless the Bills choke. The Bills 100% ****ed up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I don’t agree. 

That’s fine. I think if you give any QB a 10/15 yard cushion the majority can make the 2 throws needed. Again, that’s just me. 

👍

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

That’s fine. I think if you give any QB a 10/15 yard cushion the majority can make the 2 throws needed. Again, that’s just me. 

👍

I’m talking about the entire game. I don’t think any other QB could’ve outscored Allen that game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Add poll option of Defense for all 3 games we lost in the playoffs against the Chiefs. 

The stat of only forcing KC to punt 4 times in 3 total playoff games is all anyone needs to know or letting KC average 35.7 pts a game. 

Edited by Real McClappy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Biggest reason: Coaching

Second biggest reason: Coaching

The team has enough talent to beat anyone. "Any given Sunday" as they say. When we are in the proper headspace, we absolutely dominate as we should. But that is incredibly inconsistent and unreliable. That is coaching.

Our talent will compete with the best. But when the going gets tough, a bad break always sinks us. Usually in a Situational Football scenario. That is coaching.

I'm am hesitantly optimistic with McD solidifying Brady to give him a full year, and the addition of Babich which should allow McD to go back to being a Head Coach and hopefully working on his own situational football skills.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I hate to say it because it is a loser way to go, but I will chalk it up to bad luck... at least the past 2 seasons.  Last year, they had a lot of adversity with the schedule and a traumatic on-field event.  Injuries too.

This season was especially bad with injuries.  It is understated, but they also had a scheduling disadvantage vs the Chiefs.  They had a short week, Chiefs a long one.  Plus the Chiefs got to rest starters an extra week.

The 13 seconds game was a coaching/program error.  I do think McDermott is a good NFL coach and has his teams motivated and ready to play.  It was proven this season.  Things could have gone south quick at 6-6 and instead the team came to play, and especially when McDermott came under attack.

Overall, I think the Bills can/should beat the Chiefs.  They have done it repeatedly in the regular season.  The last 2 times in the playoffs should have won, and I would err more to the side of coaching than I would the Chiefs being too good in both of those instances.  The Bengals seem to be a worse match up than KC.

So its generally a combination IMO

Lots of luck

bad coaching/execution at a few critical times

The Chiefs/Bengals are good (but the Bills should beat them if healthy and we dont have to postpone games and people dont die on the field)

I thought the Bills playing late Monday that night hurt them as well in the Chiefs game.  When I posted a thread about it though the few responses I got were No

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m talking about the entire game. I don’t think any other QB could’ve outscored Allen that game.

Maybe, you never know. Sometimes the game is just perfectly called for either or both teams. And it was. Who knows who else could have scored that many against us let alone us scoring against their defense and scheme. 

That wasn’t where the game was lost. We’ve seen teams with lesser QB’s than Josh put up high scores and stats against the Chiefs. And regarding where the game was lost: that FG drive, any QBs completing those passes with that much space. 

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Biggest reason: Coaching

Second biggest reason: Coaching

The team has enough talent to beat anyone. "Any given Sunday" as they say. When we are in the proper headspace, we absolutely dominate as we should. But that is incredibly inconsistent and unreliable. That is coaching.

Our talent will compete with the best. But when the going gets tough, a bad break always sinks us. Usually in a Situational Football scenario. That is coaching.

I'm am hesitantly optimistic with McD solidifying Brady to give him a full year, and the addition of Babich which should allow McD to go back to being a Head Coach and hopefully working on his own situational football skills.

No coach in NFL history was coaching up AJ Klein to cover Kelce 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, FireChans said:

No coach in NFL history was coaching up AJ Klein to cover Kelce 

i don't know how many coaches would have fielded Klein to cover kelce when we have a capable second nickel and a benched CB who has shown effective against Kelce.

that was a MAJOR concern for that game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Real McClappy said:

Add poll option of Defense for all 3 games we lost in the playoffs against the Chiefs. 

The stat of only forcing KC to punt 4 times in 3 total playoff games is all anyone needs to know.  Giving up 107 pts for a 35.7 pts per game is our exit reasoning.

AFCC was lost on offense. Didn’t do squat after that 1st quarter until it was too late, a 31-15 hole. Defense played their part in it but you had to match that team offensively as it might have been their best season under Reid. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.