First to third round picks used on every position for every NFL team (past 5 years)

Einstein

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Does trading for Diggs sort of count?  

It does.  I'm sure Beane uses that rationale.   So let's call it one WR pick for the Bills.

But other teams with good QBs are doing more to support them.  KC picked 3 WRs.  The 49ers took 4.  Baltimore took 5. 

14 hours ago, entropyrules said:

Not so sure about Moss...he seemed pretty capable when he played for the Colts. Is it possible the Bills didn't utilize him correctly or they (the Bills) missed because his style of play didn't fit how the Bills run the O?

Moss is an effective enough zone scheme RB. Unfortunately, during his time in Buffalo, the offense tried each year to force zone blocking on a unit that was much better suited to man and pin-and-pull type design. Moss was a potential fit for what McD has always wanted his offense to be (based on coaching hires and my eyeballs), but not what they did well consistently. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Sweats said:

Unfortunately, as much as i like Diggs, we should have made a play for Justin Jefferson....Diggs is getting old and slow....JJ is just hitting his prime.

That's gonna be a pretty massive contract for what it's worth, not that Diggs' wasn't expensive and obviously Jefferson is on a rookie deal, I totally get all that.

You really can't understate what Diggs did for Allen's development though. I know Jefferson started his career strong from the start, but having a true #1 receiver who is an amazing route runner and seems to be a true master of his craft in terms of nuanced body movement and hiding the true route...I think there is at a least a solid debate there because the single most important thing is Allen's development...and I'm someone who has been screaming for years that they are misusing Allen and them expecting to carry the entire offensive load is not ok long term both because he's taking too many hits and a lot because I'm worried he will eventually see that it is not a fair expectation to be placed on him and he could leave.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

That's gonna be a pretty massive contract for what it's worth, not that Diggs' wasn't expensive and obviously Jefferson is on a rookie deal, I totally get all that.

You really can't understate what Diggs did for Allen's development though. I know Jefferson started his career strong from the start, but having a true #1 receiver who is an amazing route runner and seems to be a true master of his craft in terms of nuanced body movement and hiding the true route...I think there is at a least a solid debate there because the single most important thing is Allen's development...and I'm someone who has been screaming for years that they are misusing Allen and them expecting to carry the entire offensive load is not ok long term both because he's taking too many hits and a lot because I'm worried he will eventually see that it is not a fair expectation to be placed on him and he could leave.

I agree with you re. the trade. Of course if they knew for definite what JJ was going to be they'd have picked him. But he was not a sure thing. He was a slot receiver at LSU being projected as a wideout in the NFL. That is why he went where he did and not in the top 10 and the Bills need at the time was absolutely for a sure thing to help elevate Josh. Trade that worked for both. 

On the misuse of Josh some of it is Josh himself though. He has admitted, and it is definitely true when you watch him, that he plays better when the ball is in his hands. I don't think you can ask Josh to just "manage a game" and be a distributor. That isn't when he plays his best. Of course they need to put better weapons around him, no question about that, but I don't think you will ever turn Josh into a cerebral guy who just gets the ball to his playmakers. He is always going to bail pockets too early some times looking for the big play, run when it isn't the wisest decision, hurdle defenders when he could slide etc. I think it is just who he is. 

Wait.  This chart says we’re tied for the fewest DBs taken in the entire league and are well below the league average.  But I read on here 5,637,904 times that drafting DBs is our main priority and all we ever do.

I trust this board so someone better fix that stupid chart.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/13/2024 at 5:49 PM, GunnerBill said:

It goes back further. Buffalo and Tampa have both gone since 2017 without drafting a day 1 or 2 wide receiver. 

It is ridiculous. And Beane should be held to account for it.

You now believe that Beane has more power than McDermott wrt the draft? When did you change your opinion?

On 2/13/2024 at 6:04 PM, Kaenon said:

We did trade a 1st for Diggs though, so we spent a 1st on a WR

Do you think that McDermott did enough to bolster the WR position?

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You now believe that Beane has more power than McDermott wrt the draft? When did you change your opinion?

I have clarified this for you before - Brandon Beane runs the draft. He is in charge of personnel. I have had that confirmed by people who are in the building too. What I do think though is that Sean McDermott is of the two the more powerful personality in the building. It is ultimately his show. If he wanted Beane fired he'd get it. If he wanted to veto a particular draft pick I think he'd have the power to do that. But the reality is that isn't how they operate. He has total faith in Beane to run the personnel side and that is how it works. They collaborate pretty closely and I know McDermott sits in on the meetings where they set their final board prior to the draft. But in terms of running the draft and making the picks it is Brandon's call. If they are close between two players he will ask Sean, he will ask Brian Gaine and Terrence Gray but he ultimately makes the decision. I was told the guy who actually had the most influence on the draft beyond Beane was actually Joe Schoen while he was here not Sean McDermott.

And I think the fact that the Bills drafting patterns so closely reflect the Panthers drafting patterns during the 10 years Beane was in senior front office roles there rather reinforce the view that the draft strategy the Bills execute is Brandon Beane's strategy.  

10 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do you think that McDermott did enough to bolster the WR position?

I don't think the Bills have spent enough draft capital on receiver. But Beane grew up in a Panthers organisation that was famous for undervaluing wide receiver in his time there. Four day 1 or 2 picks on the position in 10 drafts in Carolina. Zero in 6 drafts here. This is not a coincidence. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have clarified this for you before - Brandon Beane runs the draft. He is in charge of personnel. I have had that confirmed by people who are in the building too. What I do think though is that Sean McDermott is of the two the more powerful personality in the building. It is ultimately his show. If he wanted Beane fired he'd get it. If he wanted to veto a particular draft pick I think he'd have the power to do that. But the reality is that isn't how they operate. He has total faith in Beane to run the personnel side and that is how it works. They collaborate pretty closely and I know McDermott sits in on the meetings where they set their final board prior to the draft. But in terms of running the draft and making the picks it is Brandon's call. If they are close between two players he will ask Sean, he will ask Brian Gaine and Terrence Gray but he ultimately makes the decision. I was told the guy who actually had the most influence on the draft beyond Beane was actually Joe Schoen while he was here not Sean McDermott.

And I think the fact that the Bills drafting patterns so closely reflect the Panthers drafting patterns during the 10 years Beane was in senior front office roles there rather reinforce the view that the draft strategy the Bills execute is Brandon Beane's strategy.  

I don't think the Bills have spent enough draft capital on receiver. But Beane grew up in a Panthers organisation that was famous for undervaluing wide receiver in his time there. Four day 1 or 2 picks on the position in 10 drafts in Carolina. Zero in 6 drafts here. This is not a coincidence. 

The above blames Beane and excuses McDermott, but at the same time admits that McDermott is the more powerful of the two.

OK then.

• Disagree 1

Unfortunately, GunnerBill I believe you're right regarding Allen.  He's willing to do the big things and explosive plays to win the game but he's reluctant to do the little things to win games.  I was hoping he would grow up a little and change his approach and mindset regarding playing QB but I don't believe it's happening.  One thing for sure, he needs more WR help.  Not enough playmakers on offense and too many high picks and money spent on defense.  Don't know if it's Beane or McD but collectively they have dropped the ball in getting Allen enough offensive help.  They did the hardest part, getting a franchise QB, and they keep ***** around in getting him help.

Edited by juno999

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

The above blames Beane and excuses McDermott, but at the same time admits that McDermott is the more powerful of the two.

OK then.

McDermott is the more powerful he is ultimately accountable for the successor failure of the Buffalo Bills football team. But I don't think he is directly accountable for individual draft decisions - that is Brandon Beane. 

42 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I really think beane and McDermott were expecting big production from harty and sherfield. Unfortunately, they got nothing. 

Why would they be expecting big production from Harty and Sherfield?

Two undrafted free agents, one of whom is 5'6" tall, who have shown glimpses of talent but never consistent production.

If what you are thinking is true and their plan for this past season (or any season) was to get big production from Harty and Sherfield then these guys are clueless...  It's a lousy plan.  If that's their idea of good enough....it's not even close to good enough.

They should have foreseen years in advance the tight cap coming with Josh on his 2nd contract. They should have drafted a couple/few talented young wrs in the top rounds over those 5 or 6 drafts to develop and have on rookie contracts. Instead they trot out undrafted free agents and hope for the best while constantly building the dline with top picks and expensive fa pickups;  and once again the defense is statistically good but too soft to stop the good qbs when it really matters. It doesn't matter how good your players are when you line up 8 yards off the line on 3rd and 4.  I hear people say it's time for another def line rebuild....

5 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Why would they be expecting big production from Harty and Sherfield?

Two undrafted free agents, one of whom is 5'6" tall, who have shown glimpses of talent but never consistent production.

If what you are thinking is true and their plan for this past season (or any season) was to get big production from Harty and Sherfield then these guys are clueless...  It's a lousy plan.  If that's their idea of good enough....it's not even close to good enough.

They should have foreseen years in advance the tight cap coming with Josh on his 2nd contract. They should have drafted a couple/few talented young wrs in the top rounds over those 5 or 6 drafts to develop and have on rookie contracts. Instead they trot out undrafted free agents and hope for the best while constantly building the dline with top picks and expensive fa pickups;  and once again the defense is statistically good but too soft to stop the good qbs when it really matters. It doesn't matter how good your players are when you line up 8 yards off the line on 3rd and 4.  I hear people say it's time for another def line rebuild....

I definitely think they were expecting more out of them. They were almost complete non factors all year. Sherfield was supposed to be a deep threat and Harty was supposed to be the slot guy. Plus, Gabe was super inconsistent. Honestly, it's kinda surprising Allen put up as many yards as he did 

• Agree 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:15 PM, JimBob2232 said:

You cant hit them all....but I think our hit rate is pretty damn good.

Right? No GM has a 100% success rate. Beane has been really good with the draft. I know you mentioned Elam as possible bust and I'd wager it's too early to definitively make that call. He's had some moments and he dealt with injuries this past season. Maybe there's still something there. 

Up until last year when they took Kincaid, I was really beginning to think they just didn't value offensive prospects as much as defense. I still think they probably end up going somewhere on D in round one but seems like the WR group is a plus this year so I'd like to see Beane dip into it before round four. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.