NFL MVP

Bills!Win!

10 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Do you think Lamar and Allen are held to wildly different standards by the media, yes or no?

I think once the turnover narrative on Allen got out, it’s always what they speak about. “Josh is a great QB, but…” And that second statement is always about his league leading turnovers. Lamar doesn’t turn the ball over at the same rate, so he doesn’t have the same qualifier/naysayers. I also think the media has rode the Allen Bills far heavier than Lamar’s Ravens (and maybe part of that is because he’s been injured) and all the Bills have done in return is come up short time after time. But this wasn’t what you spoke about earlier, regarding skin color. Put Purdy on the Ravens and give him a similar season to Lamar where they were smacking contenders late in the year (and blowing out 9 teams during the regular season). He wins the MVP.

It’s not the color of the player, it’s the circumstances.

EDIT: and for the same characters who continue to disagree, you’re really showing yourself and the backwoods thinking you bring to this board. Keep exposing yourselves.

Edited by Brand J
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

The award goes to the QB with a #1 seed. This isn’t hard to figure out. What happens in previous seasons or the playoffs means nothing. It’s not a conspiracy and there isn’t a “narrative.”

2013 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Manning)
2014 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Rodgers)
2015 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Newton)
2016 MVP  –  QB/#2 Seed (Ryan)
2017 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Brady)
2018 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Mahomes)
2019 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Jackson)
2020 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Rodgers)
2021 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Rodgers)
2022 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Mahomes)
2023 MVP  –  QB/#1 Seed (Jackson)

10 of the last 11. It’s not written in stone, Ryan won it with the #2 seed in 2016 (got help as Brady was suspended for 4 games).

There was another in-season Allen MVP thread where I pointed this out. When I told them that Allen was essentially out of the running in early November I was met with skepticism and disbelief. At this time the Bills were 5-5 and I pointed out that Allen was around +3000 odds. Still not convinced. At no time in the last 3 months did Allen’s odds dip below +1000 (i.e. it wasn’t happening). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, QCity said:

The award goes to the QB with a #1 seed. This isn’t hard to figure out. What happens in previous seasons or the playoffs means nothing. It’s not a conspiracy and there isn’t a “narrative.”

10 of the last 11. It’s not written in stone, Ryan won it with the #2 seed in 2016 (got help as Brady was suspended for 4 games).

There was another in-season Allen MVP thread where I pointed this out. When I told them that Allen was essentially out of the running in early November I was met with skepticism and disbelief. At this time the Bills were 5-5 and I pointed out that Allen was around +3000 odds. Still not convinced. At no time in the last 3 months did Allen’s odds dip below +1000 (i.e. it wasn’t happening). 

Completely agree. The number 1 qualifier is that 1 seed. After that you better have less than 10 ints or a qb rating well above 100.  You could have 50 total tds and close to 5000 yards and it might not matter unless you hit those 3 qualifiers.  Lamar won the mvp with only 29 tds and 3600 yards. Most years those are pedestrian numbers. But he minimized turnovers. 

6 hours ago, QCity said:

Thank you. It has nothing to do with all the other stuff.

If we had beaten the Jets and the Broncos, and had the league’s best record, Josh would have been MVP. 

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Talk about exaggerating.  Sheeeesh

mahomes was so hurt that he ran for 44 yards on 6 carries.  He was so limited that he wasn’t sacked once vs the team that led the league in sacks (kudos to you OL, they played great)

which 4 or your top 5 WRs were you missing?

mvs 72% snap count

moore 56%
Juju 45%
hardman 22%
toney 6%

we were missing multiple all pros and our highest paid defensive players for entire seasons  Our big investment missed entire games.  Entire seasons.  Had injuries that affected players for multiple seasons.  

if love to see how you guys would’ve faired without Chris Jones.  Von miller was coming off an incredible run with the rams and made several HUGE plays vs you guys in 2022 and single handedly ended your last 3 drives. He got hurt a month later and has been gone ever since.  Take Chris jones away…..and your seasons ended similarly.

you guys were definitely a few plays short of making 6 straight Super Bowls. I don’t like KC but I understand football and admire the greatness of the big 3, Reid, Spags and Mahomes.  I think they’ll be fine if Kelce retires and the big 3 return.  

I’m friends with a handful of chiefs fans.  Each of them agree that they’ve been super lucky injury wise.  You disagree and can’t admit that you’ve been lucky with regards to injury  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Mahomes wasn’t as hampered in the Super Bowl, but he’d had two more weeks to heal. He basically didn’t even attempt to run throughout the postseason other than when the game was on the line at the end of the AFCC and SB. In that situation, adrenaline takes over. 

High ankle sprains are no joke and they keep most players out several weeks. When players do play, they rarely produce at their usual level. The Jags lost their last 6 games after Lawrence had a high ankle sprain this year. His completion percentage went way down and his turnovers way up. Roethlisberger struggled mightily when he attempted to play, etc.

As for the WRs in the AFCC, Toney went down early in the game. Hardman a bit later and then Smith-Schuster a bit later. Watson was out the whole game. They were left with MVS, Moore and practice squad guys. KC was also without Sneed and one of their best LBs. 

People can downplay this, but a healthier Buffalo team lost handily to the same Cincinnati team at home a week earlier. 

I don’t agree that losing Chris Jones would cripple KC. They held the Detroit offense to 14 without him this year and have done fine without him in the past. I expect them to let Jones walk this offseason and I predict the D will still be strong. Even if the defense took a step back, Mahomes has been supported by mediocre defense every year til now. 

I don’t disagree that KC’s had mostly good luck with injuries throughout this run. But I wouldn’t say they were lucky last year or in 2020. Although I don’t think Buffalo has been horribly unlucky overall either. Definitely not to the level of what we’ve seen in Baltimore, SF, Tennessee, LAC, etc. 

Edited by SaulGoodman

3 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

But I don’t think Buffalo has been horribly unlucky overall either. Definitely not to the level of what we’ve seen in Baltimore, SF, Tennessee, etc. 

How many other teams have lost a first team all pro on defense to an injury of the severity of an ACL or an achillies rupture 3 seasons in a row? 

I genuinely can't think of any. It hasn't been the volume of injuries necessarily in Buffalo (though we had cluster injuries at linebacker at the end of this season) it has been the severity of them and the critical nature of who they have happened to. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The number 1 qualifier is that 1 seed. 

Which puts the lie to the name of the award. It should be "The quarterback on the highest seeded team." That would also serve to highlight the idiocy of the award. 

The quality of Allen's (or anyone else's) play matters only insofar as it helps his team win the top seed. Stupid award, with its pretense that it recognizes the best player in the league. 

Edited by finn
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, finn said:

Which puts the lie to the name of the award. It should be "The quarterback on the highest seeded team." That would also serve to highlight the idiocy of the award. 

The quality of Allen's (or anyone else's) play matters only insofar as it helps his team win the top seed. Stupid award, with its pretense that it recognizes the best player in the league. 

“The most valuable player shouldn’t be the best and most important player on the team that wins the most!” - you, I guess?

On 2/8/2024 at 10:53 PM, The Wiz said:

Allen finished 5th in MVP voting apparently.

As a side note, man it seems like the people that vote on this are really sick of Mahomes.

Well I known that Thad brown gets a vote and I'll give you 2 cents if you can figure out who he voted for

10 hours ago, Brand J said:

Put Purdy on the Ravens and give him a similar season to Lamar where they were smacking contenders late in the year (and blowing out 9 teams during the regular season). He wins the MVP.

No way Purdy wins the MVP with Lamar's same numbers and team results in Baltimore. The dude had elite numbers in San Francisco and didn't sniff a single first place vote. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

No way Purdy wins the MVP with Lamar's same numbers and team results in Baltimore. The dude had elite numbers in San Francisco and didn't sniff a single first place vote. 

Didn’t have anything to do with the 49ers wilting, especially against those same Ravens, did it? Purdy’s 5 INTs in that game didn’t help his case. Let me ask you this, if the 49ers had beaten down Baltimore and won out the rest of the season, who wins the MVP? I can GUARANTEE you it’d be one of two players from the 49ers and McCaffrey would’ve had an uphill climb to beat out his QB (provided Purdy was solid the rest of the way).

10 hours ago, QCity said:

This was a something has to give year. Every single QB on that list, including Ryan who won it with the 2 seed, had elite stats. This year we were either going to break the mold of a 1 seed QB winning or break the mold of a QB with elite stats winning. If the elite stats QB would have won it would be going to Purdy, Dak or Allen all of whom finished with respectable 1 and 2 seeds. 

The most bizzare thing of all is Jackson getting 49 out of 50 first place votes. I would have hoped he would have won with more like 35 or 40 first place votes. How did nobody submit a single vote for CMC or Hill? Only one vote for Allen? None for Dak or Purdy? All 49 voters came to the same conclusion? The system seems broken.

I'm just waiting for the Bills to finish 13-3 with the best record in the league and for somehow Allen to not win. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

no he didn't

Yeah he had a good season on a great team that had the leagues best D and best special teams which carried him to the 1 seed and an MVP.

Because I know the award goes to the one seed, I was in no way surprised he won it, but I was surprised at 49 out of 50 votes and the backlash that Aaron Schatz received for casting the lone vote for Allen.

Death threats, homophobic slurs and being labeled a racist because he didn’t go along with the group think ? Crazy… congrats to Lamar for winning, he’s an excellent regular season QB but I don’t think anyone can say with a straight face he had an unanimous MVP season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Didn’t have anything to do with the 49ers wilting, especially against those same Ravens, did it? Purdy’s 5 INTs in that game didn’t help his case. Let me ask you this, if the 49ers had beaten down Baltimore and won out the rest of the season, who wins the MVP? I can GUARANTEE you it’d be one of two players from the 49ers and McCaffrey would’ve had an uphill climb to beat out his QB (provided Purdy was solid the rest of the way).

I would have liked to see that because I'm honestly not sure who would have won MVP in that case. Lamar still would have finished with the 1 seed in this scenario so it still could have been him just based on the history of it going to a QB on the 1 seed 90% of the time. 

In the above scenario I sure as heck hope it would not have been a 49-1 vote for whoever won. Maybe we actually would have seen more than 1 voter think for themself. 

10 hours ago, QCity said:

At no time in the last 3 months did Allen’s odds dip below +1000 (i.e. it wasn’t happening). 

I think he did dip below 1,000 actually. I want to say like 850 was the lowest I saw. 

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

“The most valuable player shouldn’t be the best and most important player on the team that wins the most!” - you, I guess?

Not sure I follow. Are you wondering if these are my words? But, no, for the record, I don't think the award should be the most valuable player on a single team. What's the sense of that? 

Lamar was not the most valuable player in the NFL this year, nor the most talented, nor the most accomplished. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.