Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I know you like this sort of thing, but trading Diggs is in no way the best possible outcome for the Bills. Even if he's dropped off, he's still likely at least a very good WR2 in talent. Do you think grabbing another first, somehow, and bringing in two rookie WRs is a good idea? Do you think that is what would happen? Because if McD sees two first round picks, I can almost guarantee you at least one of them is going to play on the D side of the ball.

If you lose Diggs from the WR room, you have created a large hole. The value of adding a WR early is replacing Davis, and at the same time adding a potential WR1 down the line. You don't want to ask the rookie to actually be the WR1, and you definitely don't want to bring in two rookies to replace both Diggs and Davis.

I personally believe he doesn’t want to be here anymore. Otherwise, I would prefer to keep him.  If we do move him, I’d expect Beane to extend Taron and play with a few other contracts to create some space and acquire a veteran via trade in the summer as well as a Round 1 rookie

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Didn’t Dallas and Cleveland do a trade with Cooper that involved a partial dead cap hit transfer or am I recalling that wrong?  

Or maybe a deal could involve a reworked contract to lessen the hits? 

No idea how that works

I don't think so

Details here

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-trade-amari-cooper-cleveland-browns#gid=ci029bfaa32000272a&pid=tank-amari

For the Cowboys, it was a swap: Cooper and a 6th, for a 5th and a 6th back.

Note that essentially, the #10 WR last season in receiving yards, was traded to Cleveland for a 5th round pick.

Cooper was due $20M salary that guaranteed just before the Cowboys traded him, and Cleveland promptly restructured his salary into amortizable bonus, but the money Dallas had sunk into bonuses, stayed with Dallas

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think so

Details here

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-trade-amari-cooper-cleveland-browns#gid=ci029bfaa32000272a&pid=tank-amari

For the Cowboys, it was a swap: Cooper and a 6th, for a 5th and a 6th back.

Note that essentially, the #10 WR last season in receiving yards, was traded to Cleveland for a 5th round pick.

Cooper was due $20M salary that guaranteed just before the Cowboys traded him, and Cleveland promptly restructured his salary into amortizable bonus, but the money Dallas had sunk into bonuses, stayed with Dallas

ahhh okay thanks!

37 minutes ago, H2o said:

The breakdown looks like hits of $8.85M for '24, the same in '25, the same in '26, and $4.54M in '27. It makes the hits much more manageable.

I think that's a little misleading on the part of Overthecap. 

We don't get to amortize his cap hits over 5 years just because we trade him after June 1 this season.

The rest of the cap hits would fall in 2025.  

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

ahhh okay thanks!

Cooper had kind of a weird 5 year, $100M contract - or at least, being used to looking at Beane's contracts, it looked that way to me.

It was like $10k of signing bonus and the rest was all salary.

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I personally believe he doesn’t want to be here anymore. Otherwise, I would prefer to keep him.  If we do move him, I’d expect Beane to extend Taron and play with a few other contracts to create some space and acquire a veteran via trade in the summer as well as a Round 1 rookie

Alright, that is more rational, but I rather doubt you're going to ply away a WR close to Diggs' talent from another team. It would be expensive. 

Diggs may or may not want to be here. I think he likes to win, and he certainly wants to get paid. I still think it's more plausible that he was playing hurt, rather than quiet quitting the second half of the year. And also, he might be physically dropping off, and lashing out because he is unhappy about it. I dunno, but speculating discontent when no one knows the real story is pretty much fan fiction. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Whats Diggs' problem? Did he not get enough hugs as a kid? He plays with one of the best QB's on the planet.  Makes 25 million a year.  Like STFU and play ball.

What I see any time I read "shut up and play!"

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

What I see any time I read "shut up and play!"

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

But at the same time, the schtick gets so old.  He is worse than youtube content creators trying to use titles for click bate.  

So I get why some folks are tired of this old dog and pony show. Basically just stop with the attention seeking *****.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

These guys are little girls.  Writing "cryptic" posts on twitter.  It's so lame.   

It's a different day and age. This is what people born in the mid 90s and 2000's do. It is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

But at the same time, the schtick gets so old.  He is worse than youtube content creators trying to use titles for click bate.  

So I get why some folks are tired of this old dog and pony show. Basically just stop with the attention seeking *****.  

It's not so different than a lot of players. Ever looked at Rasul Douglas' Twitter account?

The difference is Diggs is an NFL Celebrity. Everything he says or does captures the fan and medias attention. Is it his fault that everyone chooses to play the Da Vinci Code with everything he says or does? Should he stop being him just bc people hold him to a different standard?

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs isn't going anywhere, nor do we want him to. When we saw so many other guys running open in the second half of last year, Diggs was getting doubled and watched by the safety. He was creating opportunity for other guys by working hard.

Yep. He had a couple of big drops. I'd bet you, that changes this year.

Look, we all know 14 plays to his own tune in life, and though it may seem awkward to some people, so far all he is proven here is that when he is ready to talk, he does...straight, on point, and ready to go. Diggs is allowed a down year and I think he's got plenty left in the tank. He does need a good threat opposite him who can also stretch the field and get loose.

I think there is good reason to really like Buffalo's pass catchers. With Curtis taking Gabes spot (for now) and Shakir looking to be a hell of a slot, especially at the end of the year and more so as the coaches and Josh trusted him.

Same trust seemed true of Kincaid. Even though he had his time cut into a little in the middle of the season as Knox came back and you could tell he was disappointed, but by the end of the year, there was little doubt who the Bills main TE was in big moments.

Who knows what the draft brings?

Either way, I think the overall receiving corp is already better than it was last year. Also some guys who were in wrong seat on the bus are gone. Coaches and players. Good offseason so far, credit to the FO for making hard decisions decisively. 

usa_today_21741632.0.jpg

Edited by foreboding

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know this is hard for people but he’s going sometime soon. You’re not going to keep paying him $27+ million forever. 

The question is do we get something decent for him?

Of course. He's 30. But next year is the soonest it should be done. Both from a financial standpoint and a roster standpoint.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's a different day and age. This is what people born in the mid 90s and 2000's do. It is what it is. 

It's not so different than a lot of players. Ever looked at Rasul Douglas' Twitter account?

The difference is Diggs is an NFL Celebrity. Everything he says or does captures the fan and medias attention. Is it his fault that everyone chooses to play the Da Vinci Code with everything he says or does? Should he stop being him just bc people hold him to a different standard?

Like I said yesterday … when Diggs does it the media uses it to support their Josh Allen hate … they don’t care about what Douglas muses ,,,

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Of course. He's 30. But next year is the soonest it should be done. Both from a financial standpoint and a roster standpoint.

Next year it’s release or a 4th or lower depending on his season.

I wouldn’t trade him now for a mid round pick, I’ll make that clear. But if we get offered a 2nd or better we should move on. He can still play, no doubt, this would be a business decision. Get younger at the position and maybe still find a WR1 now with a trade up in the draft.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Can you think of another difference between Rasul Douglas and Stef Diggs?

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know this is hard for people but he’s going sometime soon. You’re not going to keep paying him $27+ million forever. 

The question is do we get something decent for him?

That ship has sailed.  With his salary probably a mid round pick