Looks like Fangio and the Dolphins had an ugly split.

Gregg

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

It was always a strange mix of personalities. McDaniel wants to be friends with the players while Vic wants them to drop and give him 20. That was probably never going to work. 

Sort of a reverse mcdermott chad hall situation... Not that McDermott is a drop and give me 20 type of guy, but he wants boundaries between coaches and players.  

• Disagree 1

Fangio's an old school coach. A football lifer. McDaniel is an odd duck with odd affectations.

Unpopular opinion: I think the Mike McDaniel thing is closer to souring completely and blowing up than it is to breaking through to championship level football.

I think the team will continue to thrive in the early season, continue to falter later in the season and in the playoffs (if they make it that far).

I think that, once they consistently start to not be able to break through, McDaniel's act is going to wear thin quickly and things are going to go south fast.

I also think Tua is just good enough to get your hopes up every year, and just bad enough to dash them when the stakes are highest. 

I do not buy this version of the Dolphins, with McDaniel as coach and Tua as QB, as being long term contenders to the Bills for AFC East supremacy.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Fangio did a very good job in Miami. 

But you have to drill down past base statistics to see it. If you're lazy and just click on NFL.com stats, you will miss the improvement.

I am thankful that he is no longer there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Sort of a reverse mcdermott chad hall situation... Not that McDermott is a drop and give me 20 type of guy, but he wants boundaries between coaches and players.  

He does? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely curios if he really was like that. 

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Part of the dunne article - but apparently he was pissed at hall for accepting a truck from the WRs at christmas.  

That's crazy! I never knew that about him. Thanks for cluing me in. Much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fangio's an old school coach. A football lifer. McDaniel is an odd duck with odd affectations.

Unpopular opinion: I think the Mike McDaniel thing is closer to souring completely and blowing up than it is to breaking through to championship level football.

I think the team will continue to thrive in the early season, continue to falter later in the season and in the playoffs (if they make it that far).

I think that, once they consistently start to not be able to break through, McDaniel's act is going to wear thin quickly and things are going to go south fast.

I also think Tua is just good enough to get your hopes up every year, and just bad enough to dash them when the stakes are highest. 

I do not buy this version of the Dolphins, with McDaniel as coach and Tua as QB, as being long term contenders to the Bills for AFC East supremacy.

Great post! I have to agree with you on pretty much all of it! Great job! 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

It was always a strange mix of personalities. McDaniel wants to be friends with the players while Vic wants them to drop and give him 20. That was probably never going to work. 

Fangio is the past; McDaniel, goofy as he is, is the future.

The Vic Freakin' Fangios of the league will all be gone in another 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Couldn't agree more with all this. I don't think it's an unpopular take at all.

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

This sounds exactly like the posts I see on finhaven.com! :thumbsup:

It’s painfully obvious after watching behind the scenes on Hard knocks that McDaniels tries very hard to be one of the guys and probably is best served as an OC, but being hamstrung by a limited QB is doing him no favours. 

• Agree 2

My gripe with Fangio is he did such a bad job in Denver as an older, defensive minded HC that I think he scared other teams off from trying guys like Spagnola (tho his Rams tenure may have done that) and Lou Anarumo at HC. Effectively leaving the defensive side of the ball in good hands for the Chiefs and Bengals. 

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

💯 agreed

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Feels like it might be right around the time where teams have what McDaniel's likes to do dialed in and that could make things a lot tougher on them next season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.