Three Potential Landing Spots For Tee Higgins

Peace Frog

21 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Not even a remote chance.

For one, he'll be almost certainly Franchise Tagged. The Bengals are 61 million under the cap and still have 2 years left on Chases's Rookie deal. I'd be shocked if Higgins went anywhere.

Even if he wasn't Franchised, we can't afford him. Beane certainly has moves in mind to get us out from under ~52 million over the cap. But enough to get Higgins, who will be the highest paid Free Agent WR available and fill all the holes we have? Not feasible. Even with 10 Draft Picks.

It'll be a 1st Rounder. Maybe we get lucky with a mid tier guy who overplays his hand and has to settle for less late in FA (ala Floyd at DE this season) to go along with him. But bidding wars and Day 1 big splash ticket items are a no go.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 10
  • Dislike 1

He’ll probably be tagged given their space and the value they see in their trio of WR’s.  The reason we’re not on the list in this article is we have no $.  We’re $40 mil over the cap.  We can restructure til the cows come home, but that will just get us to the cap in March.  I believe the cap increases again this year so that could be some padding, but we have to extend some needed resources already on the roster like Jones, and maybe we get lucky with Floyd.

• Agree 1

I don't think Tee will be tagged. These days the tag is very, very rarely used to actually keep a player an extra year and then let them walk. The tag is only used to retain control beyond the league year and the legal tampering period opening and allowing you more time to do a long term deal. So you have to believe the Bengals are going to pay Tee long term I think for them to tag him. And I just don't see that. Spotrac has Tee at $18.6m but that is too low IMO. Mike Williams got $20m AAV. Chris Godwin got $20m AAV. He is better than both. A team is going to pay Tee to be a number 1 receiver. He is going to be somewhere around Terry McLaurin money - about $22.5m AAV. 

I don't think Cincy are committing that much to him with Chase due to re-set the market (and the top of the market is currently Tyreek at $30m AAV.... Chase is going past that) later this summer. They could try and hold off paying Chase until after next year but his side are agitating and the best way to spread the hits out is to include years 4 and 5 of the rookie deal in the new contract structure.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

He’s going to cost too much and he doesn’t separate from coverage. I like him but just get a couple guys in the draft 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Would they be able to keep Ridley too? 

I personally love Ridleys game, I'd want him on this team over Higgins 

I'd take Higgins over Ridley every day and twice on Sundays. 

But Ridley on a 1 year deal here is interesting. I still think he is likley out of our price range though. 

• Agree 1

I think some team will jump in a vastly over pay for Higgins. Wouldn't shock me if it's the Jets, either. The defending off-season champs need to make a splash to get the NY media hype machine started. Watch them throw $30M AAV at him and ignore the OL again. 

I think the Titans are pretty obvious. They have a ton of cap space. Callahan the new HC there, QB on a rookie contract, Higgins is from Tennessee, and he gets to play with fellow Clemson alum DeAndre Hopkins. The only thing that gives me pause is does he want to play with a young, yet-to-be-established QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think the Titans are pretty obvious. They have a ton of cap space. Callahan the new HC there, QB on a rookie contract, Higgins is from Tennessee, and he gets to play with fellow Clemson alum DeAndre Hopkins. The only thing that gives me pause is does he want to play with a young, yet-to-be-established QB. 

Yeah but a ton of money takes away any concerns about a young QB for him.  Remember, DHop said he wanted to play for a contender.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.