Senior Bowl updates

HappyDays

A single Senior Bowl practice does not erase what you see on tape with Leggette. He could have been pressing, he could have had some crap passes thrown his way. Timing, or lack thereof, is an issue with these things in a lot of cases. These drills, like noted by others, are always more favorable for projected Slot WR's. We're looking for a #2 WR, with #1 potential, who also can take the lid off of a defense. He had 7 catches for 77 against one of the best defenses in the country in Georgia. The guy can run like 23 mph, meaning he can take any catch to the house if he gets a lane. Can you imagine what a guy with wheels like that and JA17 could do on those scramble drills? He had 71 catches for 1,255 yards in the SEC with Spencer Rattler as his QB. He's still one of those guys with that potential. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Watching today's 1 on 1's:

• Tez Walker REALLY struggling. Dropping almost literally every pass so far, telegraphing routes, struggling with press, etc.
  • Javon Baker continuing to do a great job with his releases and created a ton of separation on one of his crossing routes against Kalen King (who was once viewed as a 1st round prospect but I believe he's slid down a lot this season).
  • Brenden Rice doing a much better job off the release today than yesterday but just doesn't have the burst to pull away/maintain separation.
  • Roman Wilson's footwork is really great.
  • Non-WR related: Quinyon Mitchell looks like such a stud covering these guys. 
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

One thing I've made note of, Ricky Pearsall won people over on Day 1 and has looked decent so far today, but the real noteworthy thing is after playing out of the slot on the vast majority of his snaps in college, they have him almost exclusively out wide here.

Edit: And he's looked good lined up out wide. Interesting development.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, H2o said:

A single Senior Bowl practice does not erase what you see on tape with Leggette. He could have been pressing, he could have had some crap passes thrown his way. Timing, or lack thereof, is an issue with these things in a lot of cases. These drills, like noted by others, are always more favorable for projected Slot WR's. We're looking for a #2 WR, with #1 potential, who also can take the lid off of a defense. He had 7 catches for 77 against one of the best defenses in the country in Georgia. The guy can run like 23 mph, meaning he can take any catch to the house if he gets a lane. Can you imagine what a guy with wheels like that and JA17 could do on those scramble drills? He had 71 catches for 1,255 yards in the SEC with Spencer Rattler as his QB. He's still one of those guys with that potential. 

With the struggles of Johnson, and Burke the year prior I suspect he slips to day 2. All a little shorter and I suspect timed slower than initially thought.  

Ohio State DT Michael Hall has looked really nice. Currently viewed as a Day 3 pick I think; might be one to keep an eye on.

This rep between Roman Wilson and Quinyon Mitchell (Toledo DB that's been dominating everyone). Mitchell slips and allows Wilson to get open easily as a result. Wilson also slips but makes a crazy catch.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Ohio State DT Michael Hall has looked really nice.

Charlie Campbell reported Hall has major character concerns:

https://walterfootball.com/nfl-hot-press-2024-senior-bowl-rumors-monday.php

While the practice performance of Senior Bowl players is the most important part of the Senior Bowl process, a close second is how players interview with team evaluators at night. One player who must ace the interviews is Ohio State defensive tackle Michael Hall Jr. Team sources from around the NFL say Hall has a first-round skill set, but he comes with major character concerns. They say Hall has a reputation for being a bad guy, and the character concerns are significant enough that it could knock him out of Round 1 of the 2024 NFL Draft. Hall must interview well with teams at the Senior Bowl, the NFL Scouting Combine, and during pre-draft visits.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McConkey just tears up DBs in one on one’s. He’s one of those guys that I don’t care how he tests. I want him on my team. Matches the tape as well. He’ll prob go round 2 but could be a sneaky late round 1 guy 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

McConkey just tears up DBs in one on one’s. He’s one of those guys that I don’t care how he tests. I want him on my team. Matches the tape as well. He’ll prob go round 2 but could be a sneaky late round 1 guy 

Likely gone before Bills’ 2nd pick and maybe a little high for him at pick 28.  If guys like Legette and Walker continue to struggle at the Senior Bowl, maybe McConkey will pass them.  McConkey’s size is borderline for outside, I’m less concerned about his speed - he looks fast “enough” on tape.

21 hours ago, eball said:

Up and down first practice for WR Devontez Walker, but he had the fastest field speed so far at 21.18 mph.

— Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler) January 30, 2024

That's what I'm talking about.  Tez can fly.

He should be there at the end of Round 2 if we got Dline or Safety in Round 1. 

DT T'Vondre Sweat is getting rave reviews today. He is likely to go in the 25-45 range. I could see the Bills really liking him as much as fans would hate the pick in R1... Profiles as a monstrous 1T at the next level.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So he's more of a slot right? which isn't the big hole on our offense. And yeah it's highlights but man he looks like he might be very good. And this catch is just ridiculous.

Mentioned him a little ways up I think. He played the vast majority of his snaps in the slot in college, but he's working almost exclusively out wide at the Senior Bowl and has mostly looked good.

51 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

He is a guy that’s growing on me … think he can be an early and solid contributor… problem is 28 is too high and I think he is gone by 60 …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The more I see, the more confident I am that there is an immediate WR2 and potential WR1 to be had at the back end of the 1st round. Especially with an expected run on QB expected 

Brother this draft will be littered with future WR1's, maybe even some in the mid-rounds. Whoever we get has that #17 advantage as well. Exciting times ahead i believe😊

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A couple nice reps from Legette here:

JPJ is going to be a plug and play 10 year starter at center in the NFL. If he were to get to us at #60 I'd do it. 

My views on Legette are well known. I was imploring people not to overreact yesterday, I say the same today. His tape is a day 1 player to me. I am resolute on that.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Do you rate him though ? 

I'll admit I have a thing for massive men that play in the trenches. I'm a believer in size. Technique of course matters, but ultimately it's just hard to move a 360+ pound human being multiple times a game. Same reason I liked the Torrence pick last year. And I think large DTs have become even more important these days with undersized LBs becoming the standard across the league.

But as usual it's a matter of the positional drop off from 1st round to later in the draft and in free agency. Capable 1Ts are not that hard to find, and elite 1Ts don't win games on their own. Defensive line is arguably just as big a need as WR right now but if we're going that route in the 1st round it has to be a pass rusher. Not a gap defender. If Sweat can develop into a Vita Vea type where he can dominate both areas then of course it would be a great pick.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'll admit I have a thing for massive men that play in the trenches. I'm a believer in size. Technique of course matters, but ultimately it's just hard to move a 360+ pound human being multiple times a game. Same reason I liked the Torrence pick last year. And I think large DTs have become even more important these days with undersized LBs becoming the standard across the league.

But as usual it's a matter of the positional drop off from 1st round to later in the draft and in free agency. Capable 1Ts are not that hard to find, and elite 1Ts don't win games on their own. Defensive line is arguably just as big a need as WR right now but if we're going that route in the 1st round it has to be a pass rusher. Not a gap defender. If Sweat can develop into a Vita Vea type where he can dominate both areas then of course it would be a great pick.

Yea I'd hate Sweat in round 1 because of positional value. He won't make it to #60 but if he did I'd sprint to the podium. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

JPJ is going to be a plug and play 10 year starter at center in the NFL. If he were to get to us at #60 I'd do it. 

I get it … Positional value …

Someone will say “F it “ though and take him in the first  and have themselves an all pro level player in the next couple of years …

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I get it … Positional value …

Someone will say “F it “ though and take him in the first  and have themselves an all pro level player in the next couple of years …

He will go between 25 and 40. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Steelers could take him at 20

That is high for a 1T who I am not sure rushes the passer all that well. But Pittsburgh is a 3-4 team so taking him as a nose... I can see it. But I wouldn't say that's a great pick.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is high for a 1T who I am not sure rushes the passer all that well. But Pittsburgh is a 3-4 team so taking him as a nose... I can see it. But I wouldn't say that's a great pick.

I’m talking about JPJ

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.