Bills interview Mike Caldwell for Open DC Job

Unless I'm mistaken, Rooney Rule states only 1 external minority needs to be interviewed for Coordinator spots. With the Bills speaking to Desai they already met the requirements. This is not that.

I would like to see Babich get the spot so we don't lose him, however this guy has worked with McDermott before. Could end up on the staff in some capacity. 

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

Im not going to pretend that I knew this without looking it up, but Caldwell runs a 3-4 defense. He’s a Todd Bowles disciple. It would be quite a change

He's got  extensive time as a LBers coach in the league. My guess is they interview him for the DC spot and offer him the LB coach role after they promote Babich. Again, just a guess.

• Like (+1) 13

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He's got  extensive time as a LBers coach in the league. My guess is they interview him for the DC spot and offer him the LB coach role after they promote Babich. Again, just a guess.

So does Al Holcomb on the staff. I could see either of these guys being the Assistant Head Coach replacement. Holcomb or Caldwell.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Rooney Rule states only 1 external minority needs to be interviewed for Coordinator spots. With the Bills speaking to Desai they already met the requirements. This is not that.

I would like to see Babich get the spot so we don't lose him, however this guy has worked with McDermott before. Could end up on the staff in some capacity. 

It could still be Rooney. They easily could’ve reached out to both to get the ball rolling and both responded positively so they went with it. 

and like you note, it could land in other capacities or it could be building the book on guys around the league 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So does Al Holcomb on the staff. I could see either of these guys being the Assistant Head Coach replacement. Holcomb or Caldwell.

Agree. If Caldwell were brought in Id see it as keeping the pipeline full. And we still have an opening on staff for DL coach. Holcomb has a small window of experience there at the college level. Caldwell (and Desai for that matter) do not. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

We did the same thing when we promoted Dorsey. Interviewed him, the Ravens WR coach, Raiders WR coach (both minorities). Unless we interview one more, it’s probably a similar thing with it being Babich, Desai, and Caldwell. Still not convinced it is an actual search.

I'm gonna get beat to death on this, but... Aren't we closer to being able to run a 3-4 D now?  We have all 4 LBs and Von might flourish as an off-the-ball OLB now in his career.  Ed Oliver goes to DE.  Our LBs can also cover if we went 3-3-5 on certain passing situations.  Just spitballing here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I'm gonna get beat to death on this, but... Aren't we closer to being able to run a 3-4 D now?  We have all 4 LBs and Von might flourish as an off-the-ball OLB now in his career.  Ed Oliver goes to DE.  Our LBs can also cover if we went 3-3-5 on certain passing situations.  Just spitballing here. 

Would need a new DL and edge rushers. NT, 34 ends and edge. Ed has short arms and would struggle playing end. I don’t see our DEs being good as either 34 end or Edge.  Theres different types but 34 is usually 2 gap and we don’t have anyone besides maybe DaQuan Jones that can do that and he’s a FA. Von is prob the only front 7 player that is or was a good fit. 

It would be similar to when we went from Dick Jaurons small quick defense to a 34 under George Edward’s. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MWK said:

We did the same thing when we promoted Dorsey. Interviewed him, the Ravens WR coach, Raiders WR coach (both minorities). Unless we interview one more, it’s probably a similar thing with it being Babich, Desai, and Caldwell. Still not convinced it is an actual search.

Have they actually said they are interviewing Babich like they said about Brady?

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

While I wouldn’t build a defense around Von Miller at this point in his career, he was in a base 3-4 system in Denver where he played OLB. There’s no chance that McDermott changes his system that dramatically either. His base defense is a 4-2-5. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, BarleyNY said:

While I wouldn’t build a defense around Von Miller at this point in his career, he was in a base 3-4 system in Denver where he played OLB. There’s no chance that McDermott changes his system that dramatically either. His base defense is a 4-2-5. 

I wish he would, but I think you are correct.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.