Bills interviewing Sean Desai for DC

Process

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

In a team environment… not all growth can come from self growth … outside ideas and influence are essential in my opinion 

For sure, and McDermott will endorse that.  We've seen multiple free agent signings, for example, that acknowledge the benefit of bringing outside ideas and styles.  The decision to go outside or promote from within is made on a case-by-case basis.  It's just that the inside has a leg up in terms of cultural growth and development.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

For sure, and McDermott will endorse that.  We've seen multiple free agent signings, for example, that acknowledge the benefit of bringing outside ideas and styles.  The decision to go outside or promote from within is made on a case-by-case basis.  It's just that the inside has a leg up in terms of cultural growth and development.  

When you say free agents …Im not talking about the players … but the assistant coaches … I hope he has some that challenge him and are not just long term acolytes that have bought into his philosophies …

He is far from perfect and things could do with some tweaking … he butted heads with Daboll it seems . but Daboll was the most successful assistant he has had..

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

Then we need to find a HC. He can’t be both., he’s proven that. 

He made chicken salad out of chicken $*it down the stretch with our defense until the levee finally broke against the Chiefs as the injuries just kept piling up to the point they were asking shovelers if they had LB experience.  He's proven he can do both imo.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

When you say free agents …Im not talking about the players … but the assistant coaches … I hope he has some that challenge him and are not just long term acolytes that have bought into his philosophies …

He is far from perfect and things could do with some tweaking … he butted heads with Daboll it seems . but Daboll was the most successful assistant he has had..

As I said, I agree, and I'm sure he agrees too.  Brady was principally an outsider.  Boras is outside.  Butler is outside.  Danna is outside.  Adam Henry.  Kromer.   There are a lot of coaches who have cut their teeth substantially outside the McDermott sphere of influence.  

As you talk about the more senior positions, it's true that they're more likely to come from within, but that's where culture and continuity become more important in the operation of the team, so it's natural that you'd hire more within.   So, for example, if McDermott thought the fundamentals of what Daboll was running were the wrong fundamentals, then he'd replace Daboll.   The Bills are running the kind of offense McDermott wants to have; otherwise, it would have changed.  Since he likes the basics of that offense, then he isn't going to go outside to bring in substantially different ideas.  That's how you get continuity.   

So where is the impetus for change, you ask?  From all those guys I've named above who have substantial coaching experience in all sorts of different environments.  Some college, all of them with multiple different NFL teams.  They're all watching film, evaluating, creating, relying on knowledge they've accumulated in Buffalo and with other teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Desai was scapegoated in Philly, but doesn’t have an extensive body of work. He has however worked under some interesting guys including John Fox, Vic Fangio, Mike Pettine etc. The one thing I will say is he is an interesting guy you can freely add to the staff if he doesn’t become the DC. Others have mentioned, what is most significant here is that they are doing DC interviews. I hope that means they promote Babich. 

The Eagles were penciled in for the Super Bowl until Matt Patricia took over.

Edited by ControllerOfPlanetX

4 hours ago, Process said:

This could actually be a sign they are about to promote Babich

I hope they do as Babich has interviewed with the Giants and now Dolphins about their open DC positions...as vet DCs Martindale and Fagio got their walking papers after 2 and 1 year respectively)...

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

On the other hand, there is something to be said for getting fresh eyes, ideas and concepts into an organization. Let's a team evolve and become less and less predictable.

There should be a fair mix of both IMO. 

Isn't that why they hired Al Holcomb? To get outside view?  Otherwise I don't know what Holcomb's duties are.

6 hours ago, MWK said:

Probably a fake interview like Thad Lewis unless Bobby Babich leaves to call plays, which he should do.

I love how the Rooney rule requires teams to interview candidates of color. Liberal NFL at its finest. Hire the BEST candidate not someone based on color 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

5 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

In addition to satisfying the Rooney Rule in order to promote Babich, this is probably some due diligence in the event Desai doesn't get another DC job.

He could come here to rebuild his value a bit like Joe Brady did. 

Do we want to be the place were guys who are questionable come to recreate themselves, or should we be going after better quality options? Both have potential, but success breeds success…, 

18 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

I love how the Rooney rule requires teams to interview candidates of color. Liberal NFL at its finest. Hire the BEST candidate not someone based on color 

There is nothing liberal about the NFL as an organization, they do what keeps the cash rolling in, that is the sole priority, everything else is lip service. The NFL will pretend to be anything as long as the owners get richer year after year. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

You actually think the nfl is liberal?! Omg, who the heck is telling you that jiberish?

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

Take that "Liberal" nonsense to PPP, please.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

The NFL doesn't force teams to hire anyone. Just to be fair and not exclude black assistants as had done since the start of the NFL until recently.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Is McShottenheimer going to be our dc again next year? Another year of bone headed blunders and bad management at head coach? Find a capable dc and oc Sean. Wth are you doing ?

McDermott playoff record 5-6

Schottenheimer playoff record 5-18

You might want to think about who you're referring to as Schottenheimer

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

The NFL doesn't force teams to hire anyone. Just to be fair and not exclude black assistants as had done since the start of the NFL until recently.

Blacks aren’t being targeted as unfit candidates. There are more white coaches in the NFL because there are a lot more white people in America. It’s not a slight against black people just a fact. 

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.