Ryan O'Halloran - Bills should go Defense Heavy in draft

13 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

If no WR with the desired traits (size/length/speed) is available at 28 I'd be fine with DeJean converted to strong safety in a zone scheme if he's still on the board.. Thing is I suspect that maybe 3 or perhaps even 4 of those guys will be there or within striking distance for us because maybe 6 QBs will be taken in the first and there are a lot of premium Oline players in this draft as well not to mention some, though maybe not as many, very attractive edge defenders as well. Those positions pretty much always represent a team need (including ours in the case of DLine).  Except for maybe three top end guys the  remaining WRs, some of which seem to fit the bill, are going a little later than some people think imo.

Walter Football’s latest mock draft has the Bills taking Xavier Leggette of South Carolina.  He’s listed at 6’3”, 227#

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/24/2024 at 3:52 PM, BCAS Baritone said:

Ryan O'Halloran: Free-agent, cap situation means Brandon Beane has to get defensive in draft

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/ryan-ohalloran-free-agent-cap-situation-means-brandon-beane-has-to-get-defensive-in-draft/article_2992c608-ba1b-11ee-8957-5731c06753d8.html

That doesn't seem to jibe with the general sentiment on this board.  Please read the article first, then discuss.

Unbelieveable. :( 

4 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Must have bad hands then to be projected that low.  

I don't think it's his hands. He only has one year of production... But also if you watch an interview with him, he comes across a little, slow. Not quite Bubba Gump. But maybe enough to give evaluators pause on his ability to process complex offenses. 

On 1/24/2024 at 4:07 PM, starrymessenger said:

He is not the only guy saying that. Us fans mostly want a blue chip rookie WR but Daniel Jeremiah’s first mock has us taking an interior defensive line guy. DJ correctly called Spiller at 9 back in the day.

Lol

On 1/24/2024 at 4:01 PM, Nephilim17 said:

Dumb. A top safety or even CB or DT or DE will NOT impact the Bills chance of winning as much as a stud WR on a 5-year rookie contract. Josh throwing to a big, fast young WR is the single biggest difference this team can make going forward.

We lack a "dangerous" player on this team and this is the draft to get a dangerous WR in the first round. Draft a CB or safety in the second but not the first.

Maybe 2 big fast wide receivers on rookie contracts. No matter who McD gets on defense they fold in the big games. Get Josh all the weapons they can and let him go nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2024 at 4:42 PM, peterpan said:

Going off memory here:

taron Johnson - 4th rounder

Benford - 6th rounder

Dane jackson 7th rounder

Radial Douglas 3rd round trade

Bernard - 3rd rounder

Dodson - I don’t even know

Milano - 5th rounder 

Hyde and Poyer - budget FA signings.

———————————-

Rouso - 1st Round

Epenesa - 2nd round

Boogie Basham - 2nd round

Shaq Lawson - 1st round

Von Miller - MASSIVE free agent signing.

I THINK WE SHOULD STICK TO BUILDING THE D WITH LATE ROUND PICKS.

First two picks should be spent on WR.  Diggs and Shakir are the only guys who will be back and Diggs is a big ???

EDIT: As fans we focus mostly on the first round pick and the second some.  Beane and co im sure focus as much on the late rounders and UDFAs.  Im sure they’ll add some DBs but that doesn’t mean they need to get someone in round 1 or 2

I agree. They need big fast receivers. The top pick should be the best receiver available period. They are stuck with Diggs for 2 more years and his production really fell off at the end of the year. He was a no show against KC. He is still good but I’m not a fan of his head games, yelling at Josh last year, silent all offseason, not talking to the press after bad games, cryptic tweets. At the beginning of the year he was yelling and carrying on after every catch and getting in defenders faces. He easily could have been called for taunting. Emotionally, he seems a child and his ridiculous fashion clothes are annoying. Second half of the season he didn’t seem all in. He repeatedly takes himself out of games even on third downs and was not as emotionally charged up. Maybe he had an injury we don’t know about but he wasn’t getting separation like he usually does. 

On 1/26/2024 at 8:20 AM, henry jones said:

I agree that we should go defense heavy.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't still draft a WR in the first round or two, because we definitely need to.  

The Bills do not have as many holes as the doom and gloom posters think.

WR1, WR2, RB1, QB2

DE, DT, DT, S, S

We have 10 draft picks.  Beane will work some cap magic.  We will sign players.  The Bills are reloading, and amassing fire power.  The D will return healthy, and will have impactful newcomers.  The 2024 Bills will be much better IMO

10 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I don't think it's his hands. He only has one year of production... But also if you watch an interview with him, he comes across a little, slow. Not quite Bubba Gump. But maybe enough to give evaluators pause on his ability to process complex offenses. 

He might just be Southern

• Like (+1) 1

For the people saying “draft 2 WR in the first 3 rounds and then defense the rest of the draft”. That isn’t really going to cut it as far as filling holes on the roster. You hope your first and second round pick get some starter reps. The rest of the draft usually doesn’t even play.

How many snaps did Dorian Williams, Bernard, or even Basham play their rookie seasons? Almost none…

It’s going to have to be defensive picks in the first 2 rounds, or bottom of the barrel free agents.

On 1/24/2024 at 4:08 PM, PBF81 said:

Sure, let's draft some more CBs, DEs, and LBs.  

Allen can overcome the seemingly consistent lack of WRs by running more.  

SMH  

yeah.  Let’s not overthink this.

We need to go WR early.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As much as I’m dying for WR help….

Blindly stating we should take BPA at WR is a mistake. If we’re up against a board that has 7-8 WRs go ahead of us, you don’t take the 9th best guy because you need one. You go get a premier talent at another position of need, and address wide out at a time when the selection more appropriately matches the draft slot.

That, or move up and get your guy! 

I just don’t want to see them panic pick and have another Elam situation 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.