Beane & McDermott end of season press conferences

Process

3 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

I mean they did come back and ripped off a killer season - but still you Have to question if they can win a championship 

2 straight losses at home in divisional - gotta be better 

I wouldn't call it a killer season. I'd call it a turbulent regular season that ended in a killer fashion. 

I call the playoff run very disappointing and underwhelming. 

46 minutes ago, major said:

Compare McDermott to Dan Campbell in Detroit. I understand people have different personalities; however, each team seems to take on the identity of their leader. Dan Campbell looks like he’d run through a wall and his team has taken on that mentality in Detroit. McDermott doesn’t instill that killer attitude in our team. 

One has balls and trusts his players and one does not. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Success said:

I commented the other night that in his post-game presser, it seemed like there were a lot of things he wasn't saying.  I didn't want to read too much into it - but he HAS to be frustrated that he's still carrying this team, and by playing as well as he is & coming up short yet again.

And we can see why this week.  In addition to it just being disappointing, half of the talk in the media is stuff like "is Allen overrated?", and dissecting his decision to go for an OPEN TD like he threw a pick into triple coverage.

I can't name another Bill who made an impact play on Sunday.  The defense - McD's specialty - was an epic letdown for a 3rd year in a row.

Agree. I almost hold a little resentment towards McD because he's holding back Allen. 

Allen at the least should have a SB appearance and all likelihood at least one ring. 

I can't imagine what Josh really thinks about 13 seconds. That was the most dominate and spectacular QB playoff performance perhaps in the history of the NFL. 

Coach McD ripped out Allen's heart before our very eyes. The narrative by many is Allen is owned by Allen. McD definitely contributed to that narrative. 

I believe the team never fully recovered from that devastating day. Perhaps subconsciously the players can't get it done. The proof is in the next two years that followed. 

Cinci thrashed the Bills at home. The team was unprepared and not ready to play. That's really not up for debate. I know there were extra ordinary circumstances in play. But, since when doesn't a coach receive criticism for that. Isn't it the very job of a coach? Yet, he got a free pass from the soft media and gullible fan base. Jerry Sullivan where were you? 

The Bills finally got their dream scenario. A home playoff match up vs the Chiefs. Catching the Chiefs when they look more then beatable and less dangerous. What could go wrong? 

Coach McD and the Bills players walked off the frat in defeat in front of their fans.  An all too familiar scenario. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Get a guy who actually makes this catch still cranky about this 

It’s just incredible how far he threw this damn thing - sheesh 6 points and this place is going NUTS

• Thank you (+1) 2

This is the season to move on from Diggs, no choice on Miller. Admit failure and move on. Maybe Hyde will play on a one year deal, who knows ? All that assumes Mr. 13 seconds will be back as coach. I’m dreaming. Most likely, little will change, we will win but not a championship. This coach will never get us there. He had his chance in ‘21. That was it. We will literally have to suffer several more years of his garbage pressers and excuses. Unless Reid retires or has a stroke, we are stuck on the 13th floor. (See what I did there?)

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. I almost hold a little resentment towards McD because he's holding back Allen. 

Allen at the least should have a SB appearance and all likelihood at least one ring. 

I can't imagine what Josh really thinks about 13 seconds. That was the most dominate and spectacular QB playoff performance perhaps in the history of the NFL. 

Coach McD ripped out Allen's heart before our very eyes. The narrative by many is Allen is owned by Allen. McD definitely contributed to that narrative. 

I believe the team never fully recovered from that devastating day. Perhaps subconsciously the players can't get it done. The proof is in the next two years that followed. 

Cinci thrashed the Bills at home. The team was unprepared and not ready to play. That's really not up for debate. I know there were extra ordinary circumstances in play. But, since when doesn't a coach receive criticism for that. Isn't it the very job of a coach? Yet, he got a free pass from the soft media and gullible fan base. Jerry Sullivan where were you? 

The Bills finally got their dream scenario. A home playoff match up vs the Chiefs. Catching the Chiefs when they look more then beatable and less dangerous. What could go wrong? 

Coach McD and the Bills players walked off the frat in defeat in front of their fans. An An all too familiar scenario. 

What’s crazy is that this is the downside of Allen’s humility and ultimate respect. Sometimes the truth hurts and difficult decisions need to be made. At the end of the day, that’s the only way change can happen. We need Josh to save us once again. 

• Like (+1) 2

1. I thought the media asked decent questions for a change to both guys

2. McD was quite defensive at the start bragging about the division titles and 10 win seasons and then saying injuries are not the excuse while of course implying they are the excuse.. He knows he is in the hot seat next year

3. Winner's mindset BS.  I love how the final reporter called him out on that and asked that's fine but how does that translate onto the field? Brilliant on her part!!!  Of course he had no answer because it is all BS

4. I think for the first time a reporter asked Beane if he could fire McD and now we all know what we excepted only Terry can pull that trigger. 

5. Beane basically said McD gets what he wants - the example cited as deferring to McD if he really wanted to be the DC again

I know I am a broken record. But McD is a barley capable DC with a superstar QB that wins despite his HC.  

52 minutes ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

This is the season to move on from Diggs, no choice on Miller. Admit failure and move on. Maybe Hyde will play on a one year deal, who knows ? All that assumes Mr. 13 seconds will be back as coach. I’m dreaming. Most likely, little will change, we will win but not a championship. This coach will never get us there. He had his chance in ‘21. That was it. We will literally have to suffer several more years of his garbage pressers and excuses. Unless Reid retires or has a stroke, we are stuck on the 13th floor. (See what I did there?)

If you think Diggs should go and Hyde should stay, you need to take a moment and really reflect on what you are seeing on the field.

As for McD we are in lock step agreement!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I just got home and have not watched either press conference.

Did McD actually say anything really substantive and interesting?

He usually is a master of saying a lot of words without saying anything.

Most other years, I wouldn't be all gung ho about replacing the HC.

But this year is unbelievably unique.  I don't think it's a stretch to say it's a once in a decade opportunity, with the coaches who are actually available.

What if we get knocked out in the WC or divisional next year, and THEN decide it's finally time to move on?  We'll have our choice of hyped coordinators, who typically fizzle at the HC job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Murdox said:

The failure to identify the little things concerns me about this coaching staff.  McDermott had such little faith in the Bills depleted defense stopping the Chiefs that he tried the fake punt.  So, the logical thing would be for the coaching staff - at the two-muinute warning - to tell Josh to focus on the short passes - make the underneath pass the primary read to get a first down so you can continue to run clock and force the Chiefs to use the final 2 timeouts.  The Chiefs were playing safe and protecting the end zone so those passes would have been (and were) open.  Clearly, that DID NOT happen.  Josh's eyes were down field on both of the following 2 plays.  That was a mistake in my book based on the situation.  McDermott and his crew sometimes fail to play situational football.

Shakir was wide open in the endzone.  If they were playing the end-zone they weren't doing a good job of it. 2nd and 9 to the endzone was fine. I would have called a different play but to go up 4 with less than 2 min to play you take it when you can.  

3rd and 9 has to be a short pass that gives them the option of getting a first down on 4th down or kicking a short FG.  

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

I just got home and have not watched either press conference.

Did McD actually say anything really substantive and interesting?

He usually is a master of saying a lot of words without saying anything.

You won't be shocked at the stupidity of his answers.  You will be shocked at the media finally asking some decent questions. 

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone is talking about the Diggs drop but I’m not seeing anyone talk about both of Sherfield’s big drops.  

Sherfield shouldn’t have gotten so many damn reps this season.  Receiver was a position of need going into the season and proved to be a position of need going into the trade deadline.  Beane sat on his hands and traded for a corner.  These guys can say whatever they want in their press conferences.  What they actually do shows they don’t understand how to win.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

McD was quite defensive at the start bragging about the division titles and 10 win seasons

I found that amusing: the coach at a end-of-season press conference telling the media how good the team has been for multiple seasons:

"Good season overall. When you can have the success that we've had through six out of seven years in the playoffs I think is significant and hard to do, as well as four AFC East titles and now five-plus years of 10-plus wins is impressive and did not come easy."

I'm surprised he didn't strain a muscle patting himself on the back so much. Maybe he wanted to help the press out by writing the story for them.

Yes, quite defensive and if he's not feeling heat from somewhere I bet he expects to feel it burn soon if we don't do better next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I don't think that he ***** his pants this time. I think that Chris Jones made a play. Also, if the BIlls had won the game you could say that the Andy Reid ***** his pants with that trick play call on the goal line. Run Pacheco straight ahead and it's a sure 7 points and probably the game.  Listen, I would not shed a single tear if Pegula fired McDermott today. I think that he's pretty good as a leader of men but I don't like his game management skills and I want someone who could bring some of that Shanahan magic. I think that Josh needs a new voice and a completely new offensive system. Not because what the Bills are doing is not working, but I think there needs to be a shakeup. But I also don't think that McDermott was the absolute cause of this loss. The Bills were not "embarrassed" and Reid didn't "completely outcoach" McDermott. Both offenses moved the ball pretty much at will, but the Chiefs made a few extra plays. I will give you that the Chiefs made better HT adjustments, but that's because they had to. We were winning at the half and running the ball with ease. In the end, it was a close game between two good teams. Again, Jones made a heck of a play driving Dion into Josh, or else the Bills may have won the game. That was, BTW, the first great play that Jones made all game. But people on this board are talking like the BIlls got boat raced like the Cowboys did. I get the frustration. I tore my Bills hat apart in the heat of the loss and declared that I was no longer a fan of the Buffalo Bills (I do this every year). My 18-yo daughter broke down in tears. My son didn't call me for 2 days and I still haven't spoken to my mother about the game. But after a few days now I am ready to move on. I also know that Pegula is not firing McDermott so getting worked up about that is futile. I will say that if the Bills draft that white CB from Iowa I will lose my 💩.

Other than chasing Allen down and forcing a fumble, just a few plays earlier.

Without Allen, McD was gone long ago. 
I just feel bad for players like Josh and Dion. And me. McD can’t match against the top 8 coaches

1 minute ago, JohninMinn. said:

I wish McD would have told the team we won't let Kelce beat us and this is how.

McD “let’s not cover him and hope Taylor distracts him with a heart sign?”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, major said:

Compare McDermott to Dan Campbell in Detroit. I understand people have different personalities; however, each team seems to take on the identity of their leader. Dan Campbell looks like he’d run through a wall and his team has taken on that mentality in Detroit. McDermott doesn’t instill that killer attitude in our team. 

Er..... are you trying to say Detroit always plays as though they're trying to run through a wall?  🤔

55 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

I wish McD would have told the team we won't let Kelce beat us and this is how.

Guys, Come On.  I don't have the coaches film to watch, and I'm not the coverage expert that some here are.  But I can pick at some strategy and guess at others.

It's not just not that simple.    The Chiefs played 47 plays.  They hit big plays on what, 7?  8 plays?  Of which one was a Mahomes run, one was Edwards-Helaire, a couple were MVS and Rashee Rice.  Two were to Kelce, plus a short pass TD.

Maybe their problem is McDermott told them "we won't let Kelce beat us and here's how" so CEH, Rice, MVS and Patty did?  The name of the game is also to understand the coverage rules, and try to manipulate the play to force advantageous coverage on Kelce.

I have have a few opinions about McD and Beane.  

McD & Beane are obviously out of their minds if they thinks tweaking the roster gets us over the top.  This guy said again in the press conference "The Process"  Your F***ing process no longer works for this team.

Wake the hell up, your process is broken.  You have had 7 years as a coach and you have not been able to elevate this team to the next level a AFCCG win.  The first two years are sadly forgivable due to player turnover from the Doug Whaley & Rex Ryan era. 

1) They can not beat Reid & KC or Mahomes and they never will in the playoffs.   His attitude about little tweaks is the reason why he is not the right coach to take this team to the next level.  You don't tweak what is broken, broken items are replaced.  This teams future will remain just broken promises as long as these two guys are in control.

2) His lack of coaching expertise on this team to reach its maximum potential is just pathetic.  He had 7 years to find & implement a championship level style of football play, our OC's and DC's that coach this team have failed to win this team a Super Bowl, and its the same excuses and crap every year, losing to the elite teams in the playoffs even when you have the home field advantage.  A NFL analyst this week hit it 100% right on top of the head.  Beane and McD have not given Josh any help to even out the teams balance on offense. It was in 2014 Buffalo last took a WR in the 1st round Sammy Watkins.  No number two's or three's either in the last 5 years.  The only WR in the 2nd round was Zay Jones in 2017 who is now long gone.  Not one true game changing receiver drafted by this team to help take the load off Allen, accept for Digg's.  Digg's right now is a shell of what he was last year. 

When you get punched in the mouth by a bully, year after year, and you do nothing to stop it from happening to you again, you deserve what you get.

This team with McD and Beane at the helm is turning us into the Dallas Cowboys of the AFC.  They are a good team but they will never be great.    Anyone who thinks this team will have success winning a SB with McD as coach and Beane pulling the strings as GM, are in for a huge disappointment.

This team is destined for only trying to win the division every year,  nothing more without drastic changes.   McD at the press conference was more concerned about the streak of 5 plus seasons with 10 wins.  Not the fact that 7 years has passed and this team has not won a AFCCG to advance to a Super bowl.

McD and Beane are entrenched on being just a winning team and not a championship winning team.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.