Mock Draft season. Mel Kiper mock draft 1.0

28. Buffalo Bills

Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

I made a late change with this pick after I watched Josh Allen average 4.8 yards per attempt in the home loss to the Chiefs. His receivers struggled to get open and didn't make enough plays after the catch once they did. Stefon Diggs hasn't had a 100-yard game since mid-October, and Gabe Davis is now a free agent. General manager Brandon Beane can find a useful pass-catcher here.

The 6-foot-4 Mitchell broke out after transferring from Georgia, catching 55 passes for 845 yards and 11 scores for the Longhorns in 2023. He thrived on crossing routes, using his size and quickness to get separation from defenders. He has great hands. The position I almost went with? Nose tackle, because T'Vondre Sweat (Texas) could be a great fit in the middle of the Buffalo defense.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A little early for me to be too opinionated about the draft. But I'm hoping if we go WR early we get a guy with some speed. Not sure I want another guy that can work the middle. That's where I expect Kincaid to work. 

The DT makes some sense if the Bills don't re-sign Jones. But I don't want defense in round 1.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Fallser said:

I'm fine with that, Keep Shakir in the slot. Gabe has been nice, but he gets the dropsies sometimes...

Gabe is a decent zone guy, but I just don't see enough separation from him when in man coverage.  And, just look at how the Chiefs adapted in the second half by putting another safety up in the box.  They weren't afraid of our receivers at all (yes, I know Gabe was out, but he wouldn't have changed anything).  We need some new blood to stretch the field and be physical.

• Agree 1

Mitchell high points well, but that seems like a push for a very very specific need over general talent at the WR position.  I know people are going to look at our drops with the deep ball, but our real need is someone who can catch physically all over the field and RAC.  To me, that's not Mitchell.  Although, his size in the redzone and deep ball catching ability is tantalizing

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I haven't seen much of him but he sounds good.

That said, I am not so sure about McDermott being willing to draft a WR in round one, need withstanding. I mean after all, the safeties are getting a bit long in the tooth, no? 😒

The Bills could have Calvin Johnson 2.0 sitting on the board at 28 and I wouldn't bet against them to take a 5'10 DB with 4.55 speed.   That's been true for about 30 years now. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

If I were to have a hot take takeaway from this last game its that we need guys who can be explosive down the field threats.   Those 3 dropped passes were killers and it was clear that the strategy for that game was first look to see if something he liked visually was there for the down the field and if it wasn't he dumped it off.  I thought it was a great gameplan and execution and for that matter discipline from Josh Allen.   Unfortunately our WR's failed us with those 3 drops.

30 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Mitchell high points well, but that seems like a push for a very very specific need over general talent at the WR position.  I know people are going to look at our drops with the deep ball, but our real need is someone who can catch physically all over the field and RAC.  To me, that's not Mitchell.  Although, his size in the redzone and deep ball catching ability is tantalizing

Actually Kincaid and Shakir expanded roles next year is that contested catch RAC receiver.

Doesn’t hurt to add more of that but an athletic freak wouldn’t hurt either.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I haven't seen much of him but he sounds good.

That said, I am not so sure about McDermott being willing to draft a WR in round one, need withstanding. I mean after all, the safeties are getting a bit long in the tooth, no? 😒

I know you’ll love this but I really feel if Cooper Dejean is there or close they’ll go get him. 

• Angry 1

Nobody on this team can catch the effing ball. Seriously, nobody. None of the WR. Knox has gotten better, and Kincaid has gotten better, but no reliable pass catchers on the roster. I get that Josh throws it hard, but your job is to catch the ball. I don't even care about size or speed of the WRs that we get in the draft as long as they can catch the ball.

32 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I know you’ll love this but I really feel if Cooper Dejean is there or close they’ll go get him. 

As they should if he is still there and we can reach him.

1 minute ago, paulmm3 said:

Nobody on this team can catch the effing ball. Seriously, nobody. None of the WR. Knox has gotten better, and Kincaid has gotten better, but no reliable pass catchers on the roster. I get that Josh throws it hard, but your job is to catch the ball. I don't even care about size or speed of the WRs that we get in the draft as long as they can catch the ball.

Kincaid is a very reliable pass catcher. No one is 100%. Even Larry Fitzgerald had plenty of years where his catch % was in the low 60s and even 50s.

But I'd agree that Kincaid is the only one. Shakir has been pretty reliable too tho.

• Like (+1) 1

The realistic WR’s we could have without significantly trading up would be Troy Franklin or Brian Thomas. 

MHJ, Nabers and Odunze will be long gone and I want nothing with Coleman he’s a Gabe Davis clone

6 minutes ago, paulmm3 said:

Did Kincaid or Shakir even drop one pass this season?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, paulmm3 said:

I’m pretty sure Shakir was #1 in the league in catch % and Kincaid was in the top 10… maybe I’m wrong

• Like (+1) 1

Sounds like Shorter.  same size.   He had a great camp, got a year to watch and learn from the sidelines    year 2 I think that kid can play.  Sherfield had that amazing TD off the deflected pass vs Miami but otherwise he's didnt do much at all this year.  This kid can be the WR3/4

6 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

Did Kincaid or Shakir even drop one pass this season?  

Kincaid and Shakir both elite hands and concentration. Huge boosts from the young dudes down the stretch, they carried this team since the bye. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.