Thread for roster gymnasts & CAPologists: how do we make this team BETTER in the offseason?

Okay.... I realize this team is over the CAP.  Those of you who are freaking out about that should watch Gregg Tompsett's Salary Cap Spectacular with Cover 1.

So... what's interesting is the dynamic of our UFAs vs what's incoming with our 10 young guys in the upcoming draft along with maybe a couple of these guys who could make our Active roster (Isabella????  Hamler??? Ingram????  Gouraige????) and actually contribute. I'd think at least 1 or 2 of these guys make the roster as contributors.  Isabella looked like he was actually being integrated into our offense a little in the Pittsburgh game.

Next... should consider potential retirements.  Morse said he wants to be back.  Happy about that because I think we can keep the exact same OL as this year moving forward and they were pretty good.  Hyde hasn't said so, but I believe he'll retire.

Next, here are our UFAs:

QB Kyle Allen

WR Gabe Davis

LB Tyrel Dodson

DE A.J. Epenesa

LB Leonard Floyd

DE Poona Ford

RB Damien Harris

S Micah Hyde

CB Dane Jackson

DT DaQuan Jones

DT Linval Joseph

CB Cam Lewis

DE Shaq Lawson

LB Tyler Matakevich

RB Latavius Murray

DE Jordan Phillips

S Taylor Rapp

DT Tim Settle

WR Trent Sherfield

So... roster gymnasts and CAPologists... what do we do to make this team better?  Who among those Futures deals might be upgrades or at least be likely roster spots?

We are going to get the important addition next year of Milano coming back.  Don't forget that Nyheim Hines is also still on our roster.  So is Tre White.

One of the thoughts I've been tossing around is that once Hyde leaves, we should move either Douglas or Benford to Free Safety.  White might be an option for that, but he's not a very good tackler.  Maybe do this with the hope that we finally see the lightbulb go on in year #3 for former 1st round pick Kaiir Elam.

On offense we absolutely need probably 2 or 3 more rostered WRs, and 1 needs to be a stud who's a downfield threat.  That's the guy you likely draft in round 1 or, at worst, round 2.  Beane also needs to find a mid to late round RB who has a punishing style to complement Cook.

Everyone saying we should trade Diggs.  We can't.  Watch the video above if you don't believe me.  Same goes for cutting Von Miller. 

In the end, I think the 2 biggest and boldest moves I want to see from the team is for us to go out and get WR talent, including someone who projects to be (or is... if we acquire one via trade or FA somehow) a great downfield WR and also get creative at the Safety position.  I really do think Rasul Douglas in particular would be a fantastic Safety.  And with one former GB CB converted to Safety now retiring... why not try converting another one?

What say you?

• Like (+1) 1

Here's to hoping that Shorter is a huge revelation next year.

People who scouted him in high school and college said his college wr coaching was really bad and with really good nfl coaching he could be a huge steal, but it would take a year...here's hoping that's true.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Here's to hoping that Shorter is a huge revelation next year.

People who scouted him in high school and college said his college wr coaching was really bad and with really good nfl coaching he could be a huge steal, but it would take a year...here's hoping that's true.

I agree on Shorter.  It'd be great if he were a revelation.  He sounds like Gabe Davis, anyway.

Problem is we definitely can't count on that.

I’ve posted this in another thread as well but this is what I would do on offense. I’m trying to get a proven WR just because you draft one high isn’t a sure thing and can’t waste another year 

Cap savings:

Extend Dawkins (7 million)

Release Harty (5 Million)

Release Hines (4 Million)

Cut Gilliam (1.9 million)

Restructure Allen (23 million)

Total cap savings (40.9 million)

Additions/Re-signings:

- Edwards (2 million)

- Ty Johnson (1.5 million)

- Quentin Morris (1 million)

- Tee Higgins (9 million year 1- diggs gone once number increases)

- Terrance Marshall JR- (1.5 million trade 7th rounder. He hasn’t been good in nfl but was good with Brady at LSU)

-Carson Steele RB UCLA round 5 (1 million)

-Ricky Pearsall WR Florida Round 3 (1 million)

- Cam ward QB Wash st round 5 (1 million)

Net cap savings: 22.9 million

Roster:

QB: Josh Allen, Cam Ward

RB: James Cook, Ty Johnson, Carson Steele

TE: Kincaid, Knox, Morris

WR: Diggs, Higgins, Shakir, Pearsall, Marshall JR, (Isabella, shorter, or hamler)

OL: Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Torrence, Brown,Edwards, Bates, Anderson, Van Demark, Doyle

This would make the offense younger and cheaper. Besides Diggs, Morse, and Dawkins everyone else is under the age of 27. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Draft out of our minds, including WR, Safety and DT in first three rounds.

Easy enough, but are you saying we shouldn't bring any of our UFAs back?  I really, really want them to bring Daquan Jones back.  It'd also be nice to get Epenesa back at the right price.

19 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

I’ve posted this in another thread as well but this is what I would do on offense. I’m trying to get a proven WR just because you draft one high isn’t a sure thing and can’t waste another year 

Cap savings:

Additions/Re-signings:

- Edwards (2 million)

- Terrance Marshall JR- (1.5 million trade 7th rounder. He hasn’t been good in nfl but was good with Brady at LSU)

Roster:

WR: Diggs, Higgins, Shakir, Pearsall, Marshall JR, (Isabella, shorter, or hamler)

OL: Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Torrence, Brown,Edwards, Bates, Anderson, Van Demark, Doyle

This would make the offense younger and cheaper. Besides Diggs, Morse, and Dawkins everyone else is under the age of 27. 

Can ward went to Miami 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Easy enough, but are you saying we shouldn't bring any of our UFAs back?  I really, really want them to bring Daquan Jones back.  It'd also be nice to get Epenesa back at the right price.

I’d def support bringing those guys back at a fair price, DaQuan before Epenesa if we had to choose.  I envision Gabe gone to FA, Hyde to retirement, Poyer a potential cut, and Tre White either a restructure or cut if they can’t work something out.  If Morse is gone too, slide Bates into C and get depth via FA or mid-to-late round pick.  Up in the air if we should resign Rapp.

32 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Cap savings:

Additions/Re-signings:

- Edwards (2 million)

Roster:

Lol at Higgins. Not happening. We have 22 FA's that need to be replaced.

This scenario ignores the Defense completely. Where we have just Rousseau, Miller, and Kingsley returning at DE from the 53. Literally ONLY Ed Oliver at DT. Poyer (who has an out in his contract and may need to be replaced as well) and Hamlin as our only Safeties.

Here's hoping we are able to get a decent WR at a good price when musical chairs stops and/or move up in the 1st to get one. But Tee Higgins is going to be the most sought after WR in FA and his contract is going to be massive. We can't afford what it would cost just for him with all the holes we have.

Side note: I'm pretty sure Hines is going to be here. Conventional wisdom says get rid of him and save money. But it appears to me that Beane and he struck some sort of deal to avoid a Players Union grievance over his money this year.

Beane has said he'll be back and Hines has said he's been told he'll be back. It appears to me they made an arrangement to let him keep some signing money this year and also saved them some money this year in exchange for a promise that he'll be on the roster next year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Cap savings:

Additions/Re-signings:

- Edwards (2 million)

Roster:

You are absolutely not getting Higgins for $9 million. Gabe is going to get well over $9 million and he’s not at Higgins level 

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Lol at Higgins. Not happening. We have 22 FA's that need to be replaced.

Spotrac is suggesting Higgins will land a 4 year deal at $18 MM per.  Mike Evans and Michael Pittman are the 2024 FA's with higher projected AAV.  Boyd could be had for $8MM.

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Spotrac is suggesting Higgins will land a 4 year deal at $18 MM per.  Mike Evans and Michael Pittman are the 2024 FA's with higher projected AAV.  Boyd could be had for $8MM.

Mike Evans will turn 31 years old this year. Tee Higgins just turned 25, coming off his Rookie contract with a relatively clean bill of health. This is what's going to give him the edge with teams.

And I doubt he even makes Free Agency. Most analysts have him destined to be Franchise Tagged.

Spotrac's suggestions are just that. They're often way off base. Every fanbase in the league is hoping for Higgins. It's going to be a bidding war. We can't splash that big for just 1 player. And like I said, I doubt he isn't tagged anyways.

With who's set to be available at the moment, WR's like Calvin Ridley, OBJ, Hollywood Brown, Curtis Samuel, Michael Thomas, and D.J. Chark represent the ceiling of what we could possibly do in FA.

It'll be somebody like that and a Draft Pick on Day 1 or Day 2. Or a double dip in the Draft. But top tier bidding wars isn't going to happen.

1 hour ago, Jerboski said:

Can ward went to Miami 

Oh looks like he declared but didn’t hire an agent then decided to transfer. Well I guess he is offf the board but either way I would find a qb in the late rounds to back up Josh for several years. I think it’s time to have some stability there instead of spending a couple million each year and having a recolving door

In no way do I expect Tee Higgins to sign for 9 million a year. I full expect him to get a 5 year 100 million dollar deal. What I am suggesting is his cap hit year 1 is 9 million which is doable. Then after this season Diggs would be gone and Higgins cap hit would go into the 20-25 million range much like diggs is now. I personally like the idea of a proven young receiver over a 1st round pick. If that receiver doesn’t hit your looking at a bad situation next year and even worse the following year if diggs is gone. 

37 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Mike Evans will turn 31 years old this year. Tee Higgins just turned 25, coming off his Rookie contract with a relatively clean bill of health. This is what's going to give him the edge with teams.

And I doubt he even makes Free Agency. Most analysts have him destined to be Franchise Tagged.

Spotrac's suggestions are just that. They're often way off base. Every fanbase in the league is hoping for Higgins. It's going to be a bidding war. We can't splash that big for just 1 player. And like I said, I doubt he isn't tagged anyways.

With who's set to be available at the moment, WR's like Calvin Ridley, OBJ, Hollywood Brown, Curtis Samuel, Michael Thomas, and D.J. Chark represent the ceiling of what we could possibly do in FA.

58 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

You are absolutely not getting Higgins for $9 million. Gabe is going to get well over $9 million and he’s not at Higgins level 

1 hour ago, khlax3 said:

Terrance Marshall JR

Nope 

He has been nothing but a let down in Carolina which is really hard to do on the worst team in the league.

Hard Pass

Adam Thielin on a one year as a possession receiver. That’s the Panther to take

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This scenario ignores the Defense completely. Where we have just Rousseau, Miller, and Kingsley returning at DE from the 53. Literally ONLY Ed Oliver at DT. Poyer (who has an out in his contract and may need to be replaced as well) and Hamlin as our only Safeties.

This was only focused on offense. There are plenty of ways to save money on defense to get us below the cap and have money to sign guys as well. We would also have 6 draft picks including a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in this scenario all dedicated to the defense.

Cutting poyer, extending Johnson and Douglas, pay cut or cut for white and you are saving over 20 million with those moves alone. More saving could be had from Neal. There are plenty of ways to save money. 

3 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

In no way do I expect Tee Higgins to sign for 9 million a year. I full expect him to get a 5 year 100 million dollar deal. What I am suggesting is his cap hit year 1 is 9 million which is doable. Then after this season Diggs would be gone and Higgins cap hit would go into the 20-25 million range much like diggs is now. I personally like the idea of a proven young receiver over a 1st round pick. If that receiver doesn’t hit your looking at a bad situation next year and even worse the following year if diggs is gone. 

I actually read your post as being $9 M for year one only with year two being when base and bonus begin to hit.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Nope 

He has been nothing but a let down in Carolina which is really hard to do on the worst team in the league.

Hard Pass

Adam Thielin on a one year as a possession receiver. That’s the Panther to take

This is more of a flyer for a 7th rounder that likely doesn’t make the team anyway. If Joe Brady is back he was his coach at LSU where he had success. He also has never had a quality qb throwing him the ball. Idk if it works out but to me it’s worth a 7th round pick to take a chance

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, khlax3 said:

For one, Higgins is almost certainly not going to hit the market - https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2024/01/08/tee-higgins-free-agency-franchise-tag/

https://stripehype.com/posts/pff-predicts-bengals-franchise-tag-tee-higgins-01hhjeh3pw8p

Every year fanbases salivate over the list of FA's. Then Franchise Tags come down and most if not all of those top players come off the market.

1 hour ago, khlax3 said:

This was only focused on offense. There are plenty of ways to save money on defense to get us below the cap and have money to sign guys as well. We would also have 6 draft picks including a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in this scenario all dedicated to the defense.

Cutting poyer, extending Johnson and Douglas, pay cut or cut for white and you are saving over 20 million with those moves alone. More saving could be had from Neal. There are plenty of ways to save money. 

We actually have 9. But that's not really the point. We need a Starting DE plus 1, if not 2 more DE for depth. We need a starting DT plus at least 2, if not 3 more players for depth. We need at least 1, if not 2 starting Safeties, plus another for depth. 

We are currently 43.6 million over the cap. While we have a number of ways to get under, we're not going to be so far under that we can spend even 9 million in Year 1 on one single player at any one position. Given the amount of starters and depth players we have to get.

It's going to be like last year where we wait and see who will take a discount to play with us and/or who is still available after the crazy spending has been done that has no choice but to take at least a little less than they were asking for. Contracts that have void years or are back loaded, with 3-5 tops up front.

There are some quality WR's that we may have a shot at that I listed above. But Higgins is the #1 available player and we aren't going to be a Day 1 bidding war type of team in the situation we're in.  

Higgins is an absolute pipe dream any way you slice it. It'll be a Mid Tier FA plus a WR on Day 1 or Day 2 or a Double Dip in the Draft.

5 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I’d def support bringing those guys back at a fair price, DaQuan before Epenesa if we had to choose.  I envision Gabe gone to FA, Hyde to retirement, Poyer a potential cut, and Tre White either a restructure or cut if they can’t work something out.  If Morse is gone too, slide Bates into C and get depth via FA or mid-to-late round pick.  Up in the air if we should resign Rapp.

Oliver is our only DT currently under contract. I don't think it's wise for us to have 4 brand new DTs on the roster. We're definitely drafting 1 or 2. The same principle generally applies to DE. Only Groot and Von. Epenesa is homegrown talent. It'd be nice to have him back.

Gabe's gone. I'd put money on that.

Hyde will very likely retire. That's a big void we need to figure out. I'm genuinely curious if Tre can come back healthy and we can slide him, Benford or Douglas to free safety. I think that would be the smartest use of resources.

Morse is back. He said he wants to be. Josh loves him. The team loves him. If anything I could see him getting a 1 year extension to lower his Cap hit.

I think Rapp is back. He didn't play himself into a lucrative contract anywhere else.

I don’t know how much he will command, or how we will fit him under the cap, but we have to find a way to re-sign D. Jones. He was the most important player on defense this year and he wants to stay in Buffalo. Please find a way to make it happen Beane!

I would rather that than try to get middle of the road WR free agents. Go youth there.

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t know how much he will command, or how we will fit him under the cap, but we have to find a way to re-sign D. Jones. He was the most important player on defense this year and he wants to stay in Buffalo. Please find a way to make it happen Beane!

I would rather that than try to get middle of the road WR free agents. Go youth there.

Jones is very important to resign. Beane loves his 1 year contracts that he can get out from under if the player doesn’t live up to expectations.  Jones did and deserves a long term deal.

Will it happen? I’m no capologist, but gonna be tough keeping the core of this team intact and surrounding them with talent good enough to go further.

Extend Dawkins

Extend Brown

Extend Bernard

Extend Benford

Extend Shakir

Extend Ty Johnson

cut-Hardy

Bass

restructure Hines

resign Da Quan

sign Mike Evans

sign Safety

sign power RB than can pass protect and catch

draft 

Cooper DeJean S

WR, WR, DT, DE, CB, K

OL not only returns intact, so does Edwards, Bates, and Vandermark

20 hours ago, khlax3 said:

The problem with everyone's suggestion to cut players to save CAP space, what are your suggestions for replacements.

If we cut Poyer we will have lost both of our starting Safeties.  How do you suggest we replace BOTH of those starting positions next year?

If we do cut Poyer, I believe we would wind up bringing Rapp back to replace him.  He'd be relatively cheap.  That said, I'd rather have Poyer back.  Even though he's obviously aging, he actually played well in the 2nd half of the season and played a huge role moving down to that coverage LB position.

I wonder if Tre would be open to moving over to Free Safety and restructuring a deal that pays him more like a FS than a top NFL corner.

@khlax3 & @BillsFanForever19 the team currently has 9 draft picks, but will have 10 when the draft comes around because we will be awarded with a 3rd round draft pick after losing Edmunds.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Extend Dawkins

Extend Brown

Extend Bernard

Extend Benford

Extend Shakir

Extend Ty Johnson

cut-Hardy

Bass

restructure Hines

resign Da Quan

sign Mike Evans

sign Safety

sign power RB than can pass protect and catch

draft 

Cooper DeJean S

WR, WR, DT, DE, CB, K

OL not only returns intact, so does Edwards, Bates, and Vandermark

NFL teams can't extend players on rookie contracts until the last day of their 3rd season.  We can't extend Shakir, Benford or Bernard until after NEXT season.

Also, cutting Bass would bring a very large dead CAP hit after this year.

I believe we will likely extend Brown this offseason, but that's just going to add to our CAP.

• Like (+1) 1

Bolded are guys I could see getting resigned for the right deal.  Most of these should be cheap with the exception of Daquan.  Would also like Floyd and Epenesa back but doubt that will happen.

QB Kyle Allen

WR Gabe Davis

LB Tyrel Dodson

DE A.J. Epenesa

LB Leonard Floyd

DE Poona Ford

RB Damien Harris

S Micah Hyde

CB Dane Jackson

DT DaQuan Jones

DT Linval Joseph

CB Cam Lewis

DE Shaq Lawson

LB Tyler Matakevich

RB Latavius Murray

DE Jordan Phillips

S Taylor Rapp

DT Tim Settle

WR Trent Sherfield

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Extend Bernard

Extend Benford

Extend Shakir

you cant extend a guy until he plays three years.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.