Serious question - did you really think THIS was the team that would win a championship?

Steptide

I'm just as mad/dissapointed that we lost last night as any other bills fan today. Last week I heard alot on local sports talk radio about how this was our year and how if we just beat kc, it's gotta be our year finally. OK, based on what?! 

The last 8 games have been fun. Nobody thought this team would win the division, let alone be the 2 seed and host 2 home playoff games. Having said that, our offense needs serious help. Allen is an absolute animal, but he can't do absolutely everything. I've seen Diggs take alot of flack today on social media and it's well deserved. He's been non existentent the last 8 or so games. Harty and sherfield were complete non factors the entire season. Gabe played nowhere near what we (and the team) expected. Knox was hurt and even when he wasn't, he wasn't exactly a game changer. Kinkaid and Shakir were the lone bright spots, and Shakir really didn't show up until after Dorsey was gone. Cook was great, but we need more. The defense came through, even as beat up as they've been, but in today's nfl you cannot rely solely on the defense. WGR brought up a great point this morning, saying how kc has won superbowls when their defense was ranked in the mid 20's. We need more offense. 

I could go on and on, but Imo this wasn't the team that was gonna win it all. I was worried about last night's game, and even had they pulled it out, I'd never believe they could get through Baltimore. Houston has a similar offense to Buffalo and they couldn't muster more than 3 points on offense against Baltimore. Ya I know they have a rookie qb, but stroud is a beast. It'll be super interesting to see what kc does against Baltimore next week. I think Baltimore beats kc by 10 🤷 thanks for letting me vent 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I'm just as mad/dissapointed that we lost last night as any other bills fan today. Last week I heard alot on local sports talk radio about how this was our year and how if we just beat kc, it's gotta be our year finally. OK, based on what?! 

The last 8 games have been fun. Nobody thought this team would win the division, let alone be the 2 seed and host 2 home playoff games. Having said that, our offense needs serious help. Allen is an absolute animal, but he can't do absolutely everything. I've seen Diggs take alot of flack today on social media and it's well deserved. He's been non existentent the last 8 or so games. Harty and sherfield were complete non factors the entire season. Gabe played nowhere near what we (and the team) expected. Knox was hurt and even when he wasn't, he wasn't exactly a game changer. Kinkaid and Shakir were the lone bright spots, and Shakir really didn't show up until after Dorsey was gone. Cook was great, but we need more. The defense came through, even as beat up as they've been, but in today's nfl you cannot rely solely on the defense. WGR brought up a great point this morning, saying how kc has won superbowls when their defense was ranked in the mid 20's. We need more offense. 

I could go on and on, but Imo this wasn't the team that was gonna win it all. I was worried about last night's game, and even had they pulled it out, I'd never believe they could get through Baltimore. Houston has a similar offense to Buffalo and they couldn't muster more than 3 points on offense against Baltimore. Ya I know they have a rookie qb, but stroud is a beast. It'll be super interesting to see what kc does against Baltimore next week. I think Baltimore beats kc by 10 🤷 thanks for letting me vent 

This was the week that mattered.  Prior to the season more or less 100% of Bills fans expected the team to make the divisional round of the playoffs.  And they did.  And they lost again.  This team was built to win last year.  But with an aged defense and salary cap issues, it is not clear next years team is poised to be better. 

So I will flip the question back to you, if not this year, when? 

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This was the week that mattered.  Prior to the season more or less 100% of Bills fans expected the team to make the divisional round of the playoffs.  And they did.  And they lost again.  This team was built to win last year.  But with an aged defense and salary cap issues, it is not clear next years team is poised to be better. 

So I will flip the question back to you, if not this year, when? 

When they commit to giving Allen weapons. Draft offense heavily. Let harty and sherfield walk. Consider drafting a number 1 wr to replace Diggs. Not saying get rid of Diggs, but get his replacement. Example - imagine Allen with the weapons Detroit has on offense 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, stlbills13 said:

No Burrow. Weaker KC. Finished the season reasonably strong. Mahomes comes to Buffalo. Purdy or Goff waiting on the other side. I know this team wasn't dominant bur yeah I kind of thought it'd happen 

Yup. This was a great opportunity. The field is most likely going to be tougher next season. 

I thought going into this year that it was a slight setback season mostly because how difficult our schedule looked and not so much because of lack of talent.   I guess in the end the team performed above expectations or about as expected.  Had we not sustained so many injuries down the stretch I think the team would have overperformed my expectations for the season.    Looking at individual players, some have overperformed and a bunch more have underperformed this year.   The good news is the players that have played above expectations are all the young guys.  So we have a good foundation to build off of. 

Overperformers

Dalton Kincaid

O'cyrus Torrence

Kalil Shakir

Terrel Bernard

James Cook

Josh Allen

Underperformers

Gabe Davis

Dawson Knox

Deonte Harty

Stefon Diggs

Von Miller

Greg Rousseau

Tyler Bass

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Why are you mad and disappointed if you didn't think this team was good enough? 

Ciz it's still the bills losing in the playoffs. I was mad when they lost to the jags in the 2017 playoffs and that team was laughable by comparison. I'm still a fan at the end of the day

• Like (+1) 1

They always had a puncher's chance, but it's hard to imagine them beating the Ravens in Baltimore, then winning the SB with so many injured players. Sure, they would get some of those guys back on the field, but they would be far from 100%. And the DL, which was pretty healthy, never lived up to its scary potential. Throw in a shaky place kicker, and you just don't have enough to win it all. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I did.

We got "hot" at the right time.  We were rolling.  The games were close, but we were stringing the W's together.

Even w/ Bernard, we were better than this KC team.  And I would have liked our chances against the Ravens.  I did think this might be the year.

• Like (+1) 1

It would’ve been the most unlikeliest of Bills teams to win it all, which is why I held out hope they’d do it. I don’t know if they would’ve gotten past Baltimore next week, because that team is better than KC when they’re clicking on all cylinders. 49ers are thought of as a powerhouse, but get beat by most physical AFC teams, so I would’ve liked our chances against Purdy. I also don’t think the roster will be as strong (or deep) as the current rendition for awhile. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.