Ron Rivera for Bills DC?

kota

Just now, boater said:

OP started this as a thread as Ron Rivera Bills DC?

It devolved into Is McDermott Safe?.

Back to the original topic:

• McDermott was Rivera's underling at the Panthers. Would both of them be comfortable flipping the table?
  • Rivera is still a viable Head Coach and there are many opportunities open.
  • McDermott has definite opinions on how a defense works; will Rivera be compatible with that?
  • Is Rivera will to move to snow country? Or tax country? (I'm serious, Bflo loses many prospects to this)

PS: McDermott should be and will be safe no matter what happens against the Chiefs. Firing talk is just silly talk.

Yes, if an organization wants to ensure their team losing 

40 minutes ago, Governor said:

I was attacked by the paid McD apologists. I have to defend myself. 

No you weren't. You were the 3rd or 3th post in the thread saying "McDermott isn't safe" and not one person attacked you by defending McDermott. The push back you got was about Pegula not about McDermott.

5 hours ago, Governor said:

He used injuries as his excuse last season. At some point it is what it is.

It would be 4 years of losses, 2 years with no improvement.

This is the biggest game of his career so far. It would also depend on how we lost. We’d be getting into Marvin Lewis territory. 

Don’t blow it!

Oh geez, another Marvin Lewis comparison.  

Marvin Lewis never won a playoff game, zero.  Zero and 7.  Not happy with McDermott so compare him to the worst playoff coach in NFL history....makes sense.

I actually do have inside information and word is they could let McD go this week, before the KC game.  Pegula has had enough “AFCE titles” and the fact they let Pitt back into the game made him furious.  

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

With all the bad blood between the Bills and Commanders that resulted from the McKissic fiasco, I doubt Rivera would be welcomed here. 

I think this is right. Others have suggested they think the Ron relationship was unaffected but I remember Beane was absolutely furious and talked about strong relationships being irrevocably damaged. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s a very good coach no question… that said I’ll have a hard time believing he will be able to beat the Chiefs in the playoffs going forward if they lose this game…. Chiefs are as vulnerable as they’ll ever be under Mahomes/Reid. 

The Bills finished the last game playing their 5th and 6th linebackers and their 4th and 5th cornerbacks. That's not even including the Taron Johnson injury.

The Chiefs have had 2 more days to recover and prepare than the Bills.

The Bills, not the Chiefs are the vulnerable team.

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Victim much?

You made a ridiculous statement and then you doubled down on it. 

59 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

If McD can’t win with Allen the best comp may be 90‘s Dolphins?   Can’t win despite elite QB.  

The 90's Dolphins with Dan Marino at QB were coached by 2 Hall of Famers... Don Shula and Jimmy johnson..

55 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hate to see them lose Bobby Babatch because they hired RR as a DC, but we still may be a few years away from that happening. 

Dude!

I saw RR and started having Rex Ryan flashbacks.

Be careful, please.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

1 hour ago, Governor said:

I could use some extra cash.  How much do they get paid?  

Edited by RangerDave

A lot of people doubled down on McDermott after the Broncos/Eagles loss and the Dunne article. Heard some very emotional displays on this board against him. 

What he's done is silence those people in ways that make things awkward. As we continue winning this year, starting with the Chiefs this weekend, I will be monitoring some of those posters to see when they admit they were wrong. 

Will they continue moving the goal posts? Will they subtly set McDermott up for failure by making a loss to the Chiefs seem "unthinkable". If we win the Super Bowl, will they still secretly want him gone? I wish I was joking. 

• Dislike 1

• Simon changed the title to Ron Rivera for Bills DC?
7 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

This is tough.   I want him on the hot seat but with our injuries...it'd be unfair to fire him.

Yah think ?? 4 AFC titles add another play off to that & to bring this team on the 6 game run they have been on & not to mention how he has the D playing after all of the injuries & a bunch of late round picks to get them to play like they have been .

Who ever thinks this guy doesn't deserve to be the HC of this team can go be a fan some where else this guy has more than earned the position . Sure there are always going to be some bad calls no ones perfect but the Mafia as usual wants everything their way NOW DAMMIT or its the high way .

It's not tough at all, just compare the before he got here to the after he got here, seems pretty simple to me ! Usually people don't get fired for doing a really good job . Maybe if he was on the outside looking in at the play offs each year but even to think about firing him is ridiculous JMHO .

17 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

A lot of people doubled down on McDermott after the Broncos/Eagles loss and the Dunne article. Heard some very emotional displays on this board against him. 

What he's done is silence those people in ways that make things awkward. As we continue winning this year, starting with the Chiefs this weekend, I will be monitoring some of those posters to see when they admit they were wrong. 

Will they continue moving the goal posts? Will they subtly set McDermott up for failure by making a loss to the Chiefs seem "unthinkable". If we win the Super Bowl, will they still secretly want him gone? I wish I was joking. 

I'd love to see McD win the coaching battles of situational football decisions against Reid and Harbaugh (and Shanahan or whoever).

We havent seen much improvement in that area even if the last 6 weeks. But fingers crossed that we see some steps in the right direction since it's that type of thing that determines wins in the playoffs.

If he wins a Super Bowl he can do whatever he wants and I'll never question him again.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Similarly the Marty comparison.... McDermott in 6 playoff seasons already has as many wins as Marty had in 13. The better comparison IMO is Bill Cowher. He made the playoffs his first 6 years (McD 6 of 7), was 1 and done the first two years (so was McD) but then was winning playoff games without winning the big one (I know they made and lost a Superbowl in there). 

That is not me saying he is bound to win one in the end like Cowher did, and Cowher didn't have Josh Allen, I get that. But in terms of coaches who it feels can't get over the playoff hump McDermott is much more comparable to Cowher than to Marty or Marv. 

With all due respect,  if you think Bill Cowher was ANY better than Marty you are wrong.    I know you have to boxscore scout here because you didn't experience the nuance of their coaching careers.........but the only difference was a bit of ball luck.  

If Earnest Byner doesn't fumble that ball and the Browns go to the SB then Marty never has to deal with that perception that he couldn't win a big game.    If Indy's stud LB Quentin Coryatt doesn't drop the game sealing gift wrapped INT in the closing moments of 1995 AFCCG(amongst some other fortunate breaks) then Cowher doesn't reach that first SB and the subsequent losing of his next 4 AFCCG.....all in his home building.....and blowing 6 #1 seedings in total I believe(including once to the Bills in 1992)......becomes the burden that was on Marty's back and THEN some.   Cowher never had to deal with that self-fulfilling prophecy that his players were doomed to never reach a SB.    That perception tends to manifest itself into reality eventually.   By the time he got to the Chargers those teams were playing on pins and needles in the playoffs like the Bills in those last 3 SB's.

Right now,  McDermott's version of those two early, career defining AFCCG events for Marty/Cowher.......is "13 seconds".    I like McD but the longer that "never reached a SB" label is on you the more damaging it becomes.    I don't think THIS year is make or break for his rep but it's another brick in the wall if he doesn't.   Even moreso if a team like Houston gets thru to the SB.   That would be Cinci and Houston both barging in front of him when he was supposed to be "next".

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Governor said:

He used injuries as his excuse last season. At some point it is what it is.

It would be 4 years of losses, 2 years with no improvement.

This is the biggest game of his career so far. It would also depend on how we lost. We’d be getting into Marvin Lewis territory. 

Don’t blow it!

Lewis never won a playoff game.  Go Bills !!!

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With all due respect,  if you think Bill Cowher was ANY better than Marty you are wrong.    I know you have to boxscore scout here because you didn't experience the nuance of their coaching careers.........but the only difference was a bit of ball luck.  

If Earnest Byner doesn't fumble that ball and the Browns go to the SB then Marty never has to deal with that perception that he couldn't win a big game.    If Indy's stud LB Quentin Coryatt doesn't drop the game sealing gift wrapped INT in the closing moments of 1995 AFCCG(amongst some other fortunate breaks) then Cowher doesn't reach that first SB and the subsequent losing of his next 4 AFCCG.....all in his home building.....and blowing 6 #1 seedings in total I believe(including once to the Bills in 1992)......becomes the burden that was on Marty's back and THEN some.   Cowher never had to deal with that self-fulfilling prophecy that his players were doomed to never reach a SB.    That perception tends to manifest itself into reality eventually.   By the time he got to the Chargers those teams were playing on pins and needles in the playoffs like the Bills in those last 3 SB's.

Right now,  McDermott's version of those two early, career defining AFCCG events for Marty/Cowher.......is "13 seconds".    I like McD but the longer that "never reached a SB" label is on you the more damaging it becomes.    I don't think THIS year is make or break for his rep but it's another brick in the wall if he doesn't.   Even moreso if a team like Houston gets thru to the SB.   That would be Cinci and Houston both barging in front of him when he was supposed to be "next".

Yea I have to box score them. Before my time.

Altho I will say "a bit of ball luck" is very often the difference between the coaches that do and those that don't when it comes to the post season.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, kota said:

just saw that Ron Rivera is interested in coaching still and how he missed coaching on a granular level when he took over for Jack Del Rio who was fired mid season.  He also stated he has a few opportunities available.

I think this is a bit interesting.  

I say keep McDermott at DC and hire a new head coach

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.