Poyer and Hyde

Dubie54

I love em, I think one of them will stay for one more year. I know free agency is probably not the way, but it is a very strong safety class...

Antoine Winfeild Jr. 

Kyle Dugger

Kamren Curl (same system)

Xavier McKinney

Jordan Whitehead

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Julian Blackmon

Darnell Savage

Geno Stone

P.J. Locke

Jeremy Chinn

etc...

• Like (+1) 5

59 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I love em, I think one of them will stay for one more year. I know free agency is probably not the way, but it is a very strong safety class...

Antoine Winfeild Jr. 

Kyle Dugger

Xavier McKinney

Jordan Whitehead

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Julian Blackmon

Darnell Savage

Geno Stone

P.J. Locke

Jeremy Chinn

etc...

I'm good with bringing Rapp back.

As you point out, there are a ton of Safeties hitting FA next year. Your list is just the top names. McBeane could pull 1 or 2 off the trash pile like they did with Hyde and Poyer.

I'm keeping an eye on what happens with Kyle Dugger. Beane had his sights set on Dugger in the 2020 draft and the Pats scooped him before we had the chance. And we know once Beane locks in on a guy, he doesnt give up until he eventually signs him (Emmanuel Sanders, Von Miller).

Although, with Rapp and Dugger, both fill Poyer's spot but still leave a gap at Hyde's ball-hawking coverage spot.

I'm not a fan of the "converting positions" talk because I think it rarely actually happens. But Douglas could be a good fit for taking over Hyde's spot if we were to land another CB in the draft instead of Safety.

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

I haven't seen one post that discuss specifics about their play on the field....other than, they lost a step.

What more needs to be said? When your main job is running in deep coverage and making open field tackles, losing a step becomes very apparent, and is really all that has to happen to see a big step back in performance.

Poyer can hit when the play is right in front of him, but once he has to chase or take angles, good luck.

Luckily both players are smart, savvy, experienced vets and can get themselves in good positions early. But they are also liabilities back there with one wrong step.

• Like (+1) 1

They looked old when Tyreek burnt them in the 13 second game. But in retrospect that dude would have done that to any safety. They are savvy veterans and Poyer and Hyde will be 33 next year. That’s not incredibly old. I’d try to keep Hyde back for another season if possible. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thank you for your service, gents.

Both are/should be gone next year.

I'd keep Poyer another year. He is no longer "All Pro Po" but he is still an above average safety in this league and except for the first couple of weeks where I think you can give him a pass for needing to knock some rust off he has had a solid year. Not his best year as a Bill or anything but a year that if we got it from a free agent in his place in 2024 we'd say "he was fine." At $7.4m for 2024 and $2m dead cap if we cut him am I getting a better player than Jordan Poyer for $5.4m? Possible, but not super likely. Hyde is a FA. I'd let him walk, replace him this year, let the new guy learn the system with Poyer then move on from Po next year. 

If we had missed the playoffs and we were gonna blow some stuff up I'd be more inclined to rip the band aid off. But having made it we are now very much in the transition more gradually space for me. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we can keep Poyer another year.  He's still an average safety and on the market, I think an average safety is going to make about as much as Poyer.

Not sure if it's a good idea changing out two safety's.  I think that's what really hurt the Bengals.

I think Cam Lewis might be our other starting safety next year.

The Stillers were working Lewis when he was in the game... I REALLY hope you are wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Keep Poyer for the year.  With so much youth in the secondary, he can be a strong Jedi master to the young Padawan learners.  Plus with the amount of injuries this year why let experience go?

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Antoine Winfeild Jr. 

Kyle Dugger

Xavier McKinney

Jordan Whitehead

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Julian Blackmon

Darnell Savage

Geno Stone

P.J. Locke

Jeremy Chinn

etc...

There are always safeties in the banana stand that is free agency.   Guards too.   Winfield had an amazing year.   That would be a great story with him maybe having the opposite career path of his father by coming to Buffalo as a free agent........but he will likely get top dollar.   There should be value from there on down.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Romo was raving about them because he stopped doing his homework a couple years ago. Both are not the players they used to be. 

Ultimately they are both massive leaders in the locker room and were probably the best FA pick ups of the McD era. They were instrumental in getting this team out of the drought and to where they are today.

As @DrDawkinstein said, they should both be gone next year, sadly.

You're right when you say they're not the players they used to be but don't underestimate them.  They're still (2023) interchangeable and use that to disguise coverages.  They make physical errors sometimes, but they rarely make mental mistakes.  And other players have said their communication helps the CBs and LBs in front of them.   Maybe we move on next year, but they still add value this season.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm good with bringing Rapp back.

As you point out, there are a ton of Safeties hitting FA next year. Your list is just the top names. McBeane could pull 1 or 2 off the trash pile like they did with Hyde and Poyer.

I'm keeping an eye on what happens with Kyle Dugger. Beane had his sights set on Dugger in the 2020 draft and the Pats scooped him before we had the chance. And we know once Beane locks in on a guy, he doesnt give up until he eventually signs him (Emmanuel Sanders, Von Miller).

Although, with Rapp and Dugger, both fill Poyer's spot but still leave a gap at Hyde's ball-hawking coverage spot.

I'm not a fan of the "converting positions" talk because I think it rarely actually happens. But Douglas could be a good fit for taking over Hyde's spot if we were to land another CB in the draft instead of Safety.

Dugger is a really nice fit. But I agree, I think the fun exercise is to try and find the "slow" zone corners in free agency who could make the switch to safety like Poyer and Hyde did. 

Now I assume they cut White, but if they don't Dougals and White at corner with Benford at free safety is probably not too bad. 

Antoine Winfeild Jr. 

Kyle Dugger

Xavier McKinney

Jordan Whitehead

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Julian Blackmon

Darnell Savage

Geno Stone

P.J. Locke

Jeremy Chinn

etc...

I'd go free agency actually for safety. It would be my one swing at a proper FA this year. I love the idea of Curl. He is pretty much perfect for this system. Only thing that slightly gives me pause is he is more the Poyer replacement than the Hyde replacement and Poyer is under contract one more year. But Curl has played both so I'd still be inclined to go that and then in 12 months time if you think actually he should be more of your box guy you move him into Poyer's role and find a centre fielder in the draft or FA. 

Remember their first couple of years here they played mainly the other way around, Hyde played more in the box and Po played more of the centre field role. It was 2019 on that they really settled into the current pattern. 

• Agree 1

I haven't really paid much attention to Rapp when he's out there, but is he really so bad that he wouldn't be next in line for a starting spot?

Let Hyde retire.

Poyer is playing well enough to bring back for one more year. His lack of speed is less of an issue.

White offer a pay cut and chance to move to safety. If not cut him.

Roll with Douglas, Jackson, Benford, and Elam as your 4 CBs. 

Draft a mid round safety 

First round needs to be WR, followed by C, and edge rusher in the top 3 rounds. 

We are set at RB, TE, LB, and CB. Sets up perfectly to take two WRs, an edge, maybe even a DT, and a center.

Use 6th rounder on best college punter.

A year ago I was all in on an OT. And if they took one it would be fine. But right now I'm thinking WR, C,  Edge, and DT are top 4 priorities. Brown and Dawkins are fine for another year. DT less of an issue if they re-sign Jones.

For the record I let Epenesa,  Davis, Settle, and Phillips go.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That was out of the slot I believe.  He's our back up slot and Dionte Thompson is too much for him to handle.

If I was McD and Elam doesn't win a starting outside corner job, they should train him to be Johnson's back to as nickel. Now Elam can't tackle but he can cover man to man well. 

P.J. Locke

Jeremy Chinn

etc...

Lock this one down boys former Carolina Panther on his way next year 

Edited by DJB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.