Best Players to not win an MVP

Wizard

10 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I really think he’s rewriting the analytics of football.  He’s so good at picking spots to take shots where even an INT doesn’t hurt terribly this season that it kind of makes me chuckle when people just talk about his total INT number.  Not all ints are created equal

hes giving his guys shots to make plays for pretty low risk on the majority of his ints it feels like 

Bills had the worst defense in the league for that stretch you mentioned…that jags game decimated the team until Douglas got acclimated and righted the ship a little bit 

send Lamar’s number 1 ranked defense on a 1 month vacation and he’d have less wins too 

Yeah but that's not how the world works.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah but that's not how the world works.

Which part? Lol I’d agree mvp voting doesn’t work that way those are just general comments.  It probably should but it never will.  Feels like it’s part popularity contest and part comparing stat sheets 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Which part? Lol I’d agree mvp voting doesn’t work that way those are just general comments.  It probably should but it never will.  Feels like it’s part popularity contest and part comparing stat sheets 

Agree with that part, but also add in third part, number of wins.  Think it may be different too if Bills had lost 3 games instead to KC, Dallas, and Miami  good playoff teams instead of Jax, NE, and Denver . Add to that the Int's Allen through in those games hurt his chances.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree with that part, but also add in third part, number of wins.  Think it may be different too if Bills had lost 3 games instead to KC, Dallas, and Miami  good playoff teams instead of Jax, NE, and Denver . Add to that the Int's Allen through in those games hurt his chances.

Yea which I also find kind of strange…Josh was pretty good in 2 of those 3 losses.  I think it’s the turnover narrative working against him more than anything 

27 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I really think he’s rewriting the analytics of football.  He’s so good at picking spots to take shots where even an INT doesn’t hurt terribly this season that it kind of makes me chuckle when people just talk about his total INT number.  Not all ints are created equal

hes giving his guys shots to make plays for pretty low risk on the majority of his ints it feels like 

Bills had the worst defense in the league for that stretch you mentioned…that jags game decimated the team until Douglas got acclimated and righted the ship a little bit 

send Lamar’s number 1 ranked defense on a 1 month vacation and he’d have less wins too 

When did the bills have the worst defense n the league? Our defense gave up 6 less yards/ game than the Ravens thsi year. 

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea which I also find kind of strange…Josh was pretty good in 2 of those 3 losses.  I think it’s the turnover narrative working against him more than anything 

As long as the media starts every conversation, every day with Allen has a turnover problem he’ll probably never win the MVP. The voters are listening to these hacks everyday, even when Allen is awesome they’ll emphasize the INT, even after his performance yesterday with no turnovers the idiots on TV reminding people how this is what Allen could be he he just doesn’t turn the ball over.

It’s non stop and I don’t expect it to change.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

When did the bills have the worst defense n the league? Our defense gave up 6 less yards/ game than the Ravens thsi year. 

6 less yards per game on D is not even worth mentioning, 6 less points would be… but that’s not the case

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jags game-bengals game we were dead last in defensive dvoa.  Cut out that stretch and our defense was fantastic this year 

the two outright worst offenses in the league by far marched up and down the field against us and we were fortunate the giants didn’t come away with more points…I think that’s why that stat gets hidden a bit because on paper we only gave up 9 to the giants but it should’ve been 20+ to jags,giants,pats, bengals going 0 for 4 on late game stops to give us a shot to win 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

I don't know how they figure that out . They only thing Lamar did was throw less INT's but Josh dwarfed him in most other categories and is just as big a runner as Lamar .

Add to it that Josh brought the Bills from .500 and won his last 5 to make it into the play offs & is now onto the second round how can INT's be the determining factor ? I don't care if Josh doesn't win this award all of us in B/lo know who the MVP is !!

GO BILLS !!! 

57 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm sure all the fans in Baltimore would agree with you.

The simple question to answer is if Josh Allen is significantly more valuable, why did he manage to lose two more games and likely had been three if last game mattered to Ravens.  Take the Denver, NE, Jax games.  If the Bills had won two of them good chance then Allen would be the MVP.

38 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Josh left the field in the 4th quarter with a lead and less than 2 minutes in 3 of our 6 losses.  Wins are a team stat period.  Thats why he has less wins.  The ravens have a better team; their receivers get more open, more defensive EPA.  Josh has contributed more and it shows in the numbers.  Jackson is great but he gets a ton of support from the team that Josh doesnt.

37 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yeah that's likely a big part of it and many are really bad throws into double coverage.  Even in the final Miami game the 1st one was like what is he thinking. and the 2nd one had a guy open right away in flat which would have been enough for 1st down, but didn't take then throws int in endzone.

For non QB's we should not be too surprised but just want to point out you have to talk about specific years a guy should have won it over the guy who actually did win it.  MVP is not a lifetime achievement award meant for one of the greatest players.   Without looking Rice did have a year with like 23 TD's or something in an era where that seem impossible, probably equivalent to a 30 TD season by a WR today.  I bet Montana or Young actually won it that year.

Actually I could not help but looking, in 1987 he was second to Elway.....  He was 2nd 3 times and 3rd twice.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/awards/awards_1987.htm

Edited by Matt_In_NH

Allen had big total stats this year but had multiple games, including several in a row where he was outright horrible. Just three game ago, he was the worst player on the field for 3 quarters of football before  flipping his shirt inside out and becoming superman.  You can't do that stuff and win MVP, no matter how great your collective stats are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:59 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

You may not, but HOF voters certainly do.  

So how many games must a qb win to be considered for the HOF the only games they care about is superbowl wins and not even that really matters no qb has been denied entry bc they had HOF stats but didn't win enough if that was the case Kelly wouldn't be in at 0-4 in superbowls 

On 1/15/2024 at 8:10 PM, LeGOATski said:

You have to end it at the regular season. It's a regular season award.

I understand that, I just personally feel it should be a full season award. Not a regular season award.  If you want to see a complete configuration of a player,  include tougher playoff games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.