Buying a generator…any suggestions?

Lost power earlier this week for 24+ hours. With two little ones, finally going to stop “roughing it out” and get something for emergency purposes.

I am not looking for a full home generator, but something portable. I’ve been looking at dual fuel options for gas/propane but not a necessity. I am also interested in either the invertor technology or old school.

Im looking for enough Watts to run the sump pump, some lights, fridge and some iPhone chargers. Thinking 3500 running watts should be okay. 

I’ve found suitable options in the $450-700 range that seem to meet these qualifications. 

What do you all have? Are you happy with it? Anything I’m seeming to forget?

• Like (+1) 1

I have a Generac 7000W gas-only generator.  I wanted tri fuel but had to settle for this.  I've used it once for an extended period in the past decade.  The problem I've had for the past 4 years or so is that despite starting it every month, I sometimes can't get it to run and need to pull the carburetor and clean it. 

Get one with more power than you think you need and an electric start.  Also get an interlock installed on your panel.  That way you don't need to have a sub-panel.  It will save you a ton of money and allow you to pick and choose what you want to turn on.  And have an outlet installed outside your house to plug the generator into.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Lost power earlier this week for 24+ hours. With two little ones, finally going to stop “roughing it out” and get something for emergency purposes.

I am not looking for a full home generator, but something portable. I’ve been looking at dual fuel options for gas/propane but not a necessity. I am also interested in either the invertor technology or old school.

Im looking for enough Watts to run the sump pump, some lights, fridge and some iPhone chargers. Thinking 3500 running watts should be okay. 

I’ve found suitable options in the $450-700 range that seem to meet these qualifications. 

I currently have a durostar 4400 gas. it's been pretty solid. got us through the blizzard last year. My purposes are the same as you stated. I recently scored a solid deal on amazon for this open inverter generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQ2P49Y?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1.  still have yet to unbox it. I also recently purchased the ecoflow river 2 pro battery "generator" to have power on hand  for a quick hook up for the sump pump in a pinch so if im not home my wife can easily keep it going.

• Like (+1) 2

My parents have a Generac for their whole house. Runs on natural gas.  It's awesome.  Ran for a week straight a couple years ago after some real bad summer storms, no issues whatsoever.  Automatically clicks over when the power goes out, shuts itself off when the power comes back on.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:08 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-59137.html

This is my jam. Keep an eye out for sales as I've seen it marked down before.

• Agree 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:22 PM, Doc said:

I have a Generac 7000W gas-only generator.  I wanted tri fuel but had to settle for this.  I've used it once for an extended period in the past decade.  The problem I've had for the past 4 years or so is that despite starting it every month, I sometimes can't get it to run and need to pull the carburetor and clean it. 

Get one with more power than you think you need and an electric start.  Also get an interlock installed on your panel.  That way you don't need to have a sub-panel.  It will save you a ton of money and allow you to pick and choose what you want to turn on.  And have an outlet installed outside your house to plug the generator into.

Just out of curiosity: How does an electric start start when the electricity is out?  

On 1/13/2024 at 7:08 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

If you haven't already done so, look up wattage calculators online.

They will help determine the size of generator you need.

Personally, we chose a larger dual fuel generator - gas/propane.

With gas, you have be diligent in treating it for longer term storage and rotating out the old with new.

That is not a problem with propane.

As somebody else posted, eventually you will have to clean the carb when using gas.

Do you want to be doing that at 10 Pm when its freezing out and you need it running?

You can buy 20lb, 40lb and 100lb tanks from different places. (i.e Tractor Supply and Ace Hardware near us)

You can transport 20 and 40lb tanks inside a vehicle, but 100lb tanks need to be transported out side the vehicle.

Near us, there a number of places that refill propane tanks based on the amount needed to fill the tank.

Far cheaper than those propane tank exchanges.

When you want to up your preparedness game, get a Kill-A-Watt meter like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor-dp-B000RGF29Q/dp/B000RGF29Q/ref=dp_ob_title_hi?th=1

That way you can measure how much wattage each device is actually using.

Look into Solar generators as a supplement to your current (or soon to be) generator set up.

They can be recharged either through solar panels or plugging into an electrical outlet.

• Like (+1) 3

For portable, the Honda super quiet generators are great. Not cheap though. I believe you can run multiple units together if you need more juice.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:09 PM, That's No Moon said:

My parents have a Generac for their whole house. Runs on natural gas.  It's awesome.  Ran for a week straight a couple years ago after some real bad summer storms, no issues whatsoever.  Automatically clicks over when the power goes out, shuts itself off when the power comes back on.  

We have the same setup, it’s been a lifesaver a couple times. 

Had a Generac whole house natural gas generator installed two years ago.  Expensive, but no regrets. 

Prior to that, had a Craftsman portable generator.  It ran well, but the whole when to get it out, and then the extension cord maze, made me switch to the Generac.  

Edited by LabattBlue

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Had a Generac whole house natural gas generator installed two years ago.  Expensive, but no regrets. 

Prior to that, had a Craftsman portable generator.  It ran well, but the whole when to get it out, and then the extension cord maze, made me switch to the Generac.  

If you get an outlet installed outside your house and an interlock system, no need for any extension cords.  The standby generator like you have is the gold standard but very expensive.  Not to mention you need a gas line to your house or a large tank buried in your yard.

Edited by Doc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.