Every time the Bills and Steelers face each other in the playoffs, the winner goes to the SB

BillsFan619

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Every time the Bills and Steelers face each other in the playoffs, the winner goes to the SB

I mean, it’s not some crazy stat. In 1974 there were only 4 teams in the AFC playoffs so the winner had a 50/50 chance.

In 1992 they met in the divisional round. Same odds as in 1974.

In 1995 they met in the divisional round. Same as before…..50/50 chance one team made the Super Bowl.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

Yeah saw this a couple days ago. Pretty cool stat. I was surprised I hadn’t seen anyone mentioning it until now. Maybe I missed it in other threads most likely. 

It's also the first time the Steelers have ever played here in the playoffs. All 3 prior matchups were in Pittsburgh.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I mean, it’s not some crazy stat. In 1974 there were only 4 teams in the AFC playoffs so the winner had a 50/50 chance.

In 1995 they met in the divisional round. Same as before…..50/50 chance one team made the Super Bowl.

Cal me crazy, but I’m pretty sure the two teams in each Conference Championship Game have a 50/50 chance at making the Super Bowl. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Cal me crazy, but I’m pretty sure the two teams in each Conference Championship Game have a 50/50 chance at making the Super Bowl. 

Unless it’s the Bills in that game, in which case the odds are against them 90-10. You’ll read about it here. 🤣

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Beast said:

If you give the winner a 50/50 chance, there still was only a 12.5% chance that the winner would make the Super Bowl all three times.  So not the best odds that it’s happened.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If you give the winner a 50/50 chance, there still was only a 12.5% chance that the winner would make the Super Bowl all three times.  So not the best odds that it’s happened.

Wrong. 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yes, but If the bills/Steelers met in the divisional round, the winner of that game has a roughly 50% shot at making the Super Bowl, just as he said. 
And like @strive_for_five_guy said, the odds that would happen 3 times in a row would be (.5*.5*.5) which is 12.5%. @Beast

Of course that assumes the two conference championship teams have the same chance of winning, however reality is slightly different. 

Edited by Watkins101

29 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Yes, but If the bills/Steelers met in the divisional round, the winner of that game has a roughly 50% shot at making the Super Bowl, just as he said. 
And like @strive_for_five_guy said, the odds that would happen 3 times in a row would be (.5*.5*.5) which is 12.5%. @Beast

Of course that assumes the two conference championship teams have the same chance of winning, however reality is slightly different. 

That’s kind of like saying that one of the two Super Bowl teams has a 100% chance of winning. 

2 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

And is that wrong?

Nope. 

But going back to Beast’s attempt to suck the joy out of everything, before a wild card game begins, neither team has a 50/50 shot of going to the Super Bowl. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Nope. 

But going back to Beast’s attempt to suck the joy out of everything, before a wild card game begins, neither team has a 50/50 shot of going to the Super Bowl. 

LOL. I didn’t try to suck the joy out of it. I was just stating the winner of those three games only had one game to win to

make it to the SB.

I didn’t think it would be that hard to fugure out but I guess I was wrong.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

But there's only a 1 in 8 chance it would three times in a row.  

3 hours ago, Beast said:

LOL. I didn’t try to suck the joy out of it. I was just stating the winner of those three games only had one game to win to

make it to the SB.

I didn’t think it would be that hard to fugure out but I guess I was wrong.

Serious question if they are playing in the divisional round wouldn't they have to win that game AND the AFCCG  to get to the Superbowl?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.