Mike Francesca blasts greedy NFL for airing Miami at KC game exclusively on Peacock

chongli

58 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

the NFL got $110 million just for this one Peacock game. Roughly 1/9 of a billion dollars to stream 3 hours of content one time. That's incredible. 

There will be more exclusives next season, but luckily there's only so many choices as the broadcast partners are locked in. There will be more Peacock exclusives (many 2 regular season and 1 playoff) and probably an ESPN+

1 hour ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

Everyone should be saying the same thing!   Absolutely brutal.  

Whoever started this whole streaming/cut the cord movement should be drawn and quartered.    I have never spent more money and had less ease of use or access to things I have wanted to see than the way things are right now.    

I miss the good ole days!  Hah

I actually like the streaming movement at first. It was when they were putting full seasons of old shows, or new shows with ads out. The problem now is that the model works when it can aggregate content. Now, every single media company wants their own and claims first dibs on those rights making it less user friendly cable.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

The NFL has the NBC rights fee in the bank.   They could not care less about who is pirating the game.  As far as Peacock goes, only they know how many new subscribers come on board, and how many remain after the game is over.  If it is a huge loss for them, they may reconsider going forward.  If not, get ready for more of the same. 

Media companies are finding that streaming is not the cash cow they have made it out to be. I wonder how much of a loss NBC takes

3 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Are there Peacock exclusives this playoff beyond Wild Card Weekend?

No. This is it...for now at least. We'll see next season after the bidding, but only for the WC. The divisionals are, and will be for the near future, FOX, CBS, ESPN/ABC, and NBC.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND streaming sucks. Don't watch it in a public bar, restaurant... Etc... The lag is hideous! 

Watched Chargers in Nashville BillsBackers and it was a full 2 minutes behind my phone.  Socks if you're getting texts from people OR others in establishment know the outcome, you can see it on their faces.

Anyway... He's right. NFL blows and is greedy!

Surprisingly, the Red Zone channel is about 45 seconds - 1 minute AHEAD of the action being broadcast on the same platform. At least that's the way it is for me at home when watching on Xfinity/Comcast cable.  But,if I turn on my backup TV, with an antenna for over the air reception, THEY have it first. LOL

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s not about the money! There are actually people who don’t have access to streaming. Geeeez

There are many who don't get broadcast TV. Maybe they should give everybody a VHS or Beta tape of the game.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Surprisingly, the Red Zone channel is about 45 seconds - 1 minute AHEAD of the action being broadcast on the same platform. At least that's the way it is for me at home when watching on Xfinity/Comcast cable.  But,if I turn on my backup TV, with an antenna for over the air reception, THEY have it first. LOL

😆... We can hit Las Vegas w/your tech and my brains, we'll be billionaires in no time!😉 

Also: 

- "Games on ESPN! Now I can't watch the game!"

- "Games on NFL Network! Now I can't watch the game!"

- "Games on Amazon! Now I can't watch the game!"

- "Games on Peacock! Now I can't watch the game!"

NFL - Record viewership. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

To me, the strongest argument against streaming is that the NFL has an antitrust exemption and any fiddling with the playoff schedule will make, say, the Missouri delegation in Congress take a close look at it.  The NFL seems to think they can get away with it.

Well, I agree BUT think about this....

Amazon lost a court case regarding allowing unionization but they refuse to obey it and coerce/threaten employees who dare to try & organize. You think they give two cents about anti-trust stuff with the NFL.

Walmart owns 2 teams, Rams & Broncos. They don't give a darn either about it.

Sorry. Maybe that belongs on the political board but that's how I feel. The average Joe gets screwed no matter what.

Yep, that's an easy pass on Peacock. I'll just check the ESPN website every so often for the score. If I truly feel the need to watch it, I'll just find a feed on one of the websites. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I actually like the streaming movement at first. It was when they were putting full seasons of old shows, or new shows with ads out. The problem now is that the model works when it can aggregate content. Now, every single media company wants their own and claims first dibs on those rights making it less user friendly cable.

Yep. I simply don't understand. I thought the "net neutrality" act was meant to help the consumer with tv & media, but it seems the opposite is true.

1 minute ago, DrBob806 said:

Yep. I simply don't understand. I thought the "net neutrality" act was meant to help the consumer with tv & media, but it seems the opposite is true.

That is an entirely different issue, though the same model.

The net neutrality was to make sure that Internet Service Providers be considered a utility, so that Comcast can't throttle internet access to all other shows but NBCs so other shows are continuously buffering.

However, entertainment is not a utility, so they are able to legally restrict it.

Which is why a second golden age of internet piracy is starting, yo ho, yo ho!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

There are a lot of elderly fans who will not be able to watch it. 

Because they can't afford it, or because they can't figure out how to get it, or they just won't do it?

I kid, a little bit.  My FIL lives with us and I got him a Roku for Xmas because my wife was sick of him watching the same two channels 24/7.  I ditched the cable box, set him up with the Roku and taught him how to use it.  

He loves it.

He also still watches the same two channels.  🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Here is the counter-argument the NFL would use in support of paid streaming games:

The difference between the past, when all games were OTA and free is they've added games on TV over the years so there didn't used-to-be:

kickoff game 
TNF almost every week
MNF double-headers some weeks
17 games

a bye week, so more games can be watched
many international games

Thanksgiving evening game
Black Friday game
Christmas games some years
this many Saturday games
14 playoff teams which created this extra game

Compare the number of TV games to even just 10 years ago, never mind going further back.

That's just scheduling.  Every game for forever has had full broadcast crews already.  They're already making hugely more $$$ just by offering games beyond Sundays and Monday nights.  

They'll make fans pay for every single game, and cram in the same million commercials, as soon as they can wean us into it.  

Shoot, they already have some of us believing SB commercials are part of the entertainment 

someday, a company is going to offer a service where you pay 1 fee and have all of these channels all in one convenient place, so you don't need multiple services or apps! 

revolutionize TV! 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.