The Ripoff Report - Delirium and Madness

Well, the last time I wrote one of these the title was "Burn it Down."

So...a lot has changed since then. And I think I should start there.

• I was on the "tar and feather Sean McDermott" bus for a hot minute there so I think it's deserving to give a two parter giving him some flowers.
    •  When news broke about his "motivational speaking" I thought it was over. And, credit to him and his staff, they broke out of the nosedive. 6-1 after the Broncos debacle including five straight wins, including a bunch over playoff teams kind of speaks for itself. Not only did the team hold, it seems to have gelled.
    • I know the Dolphins weren't at full strength on offense, but holding them to 14 points? Impressive. Even more impressive is how McDermott rallied the defense to do it. When I saw Douglas was out, I thought the game might get away but nope, adjustments were made. I am loath to credit Mike McDaniel for much, but that little pop swing pass to Achane is devilishly clever (and will be even more dangerous with Mostert back as a tempo change) and yet the Bills made an in game adjustment.
  • We got the full Josh Allen experience tonight. It is not good for my heart, but dear god is it highlight real (both the highs and the lows)
  • I am hoping the Rasul Douglass injury is nothing. That he was standing on the sideline makes me hopeful it isn't a break or ACL, but I am torn between knowing we need him and wanting to keep him safe for 2024. We will see on the injury report.
  • Speaking of in game injuries, the same return could not be said for Gabe Davis. I know it's popular to dunk on him, and I like to think I've been even handed in my criticisms. I don't want anything bad to happen to him (I hope he's not seriously hurt), but ho boy, another Gabe Davis red zone (I think option route) miscue continues to solidify in my mind that the Bills should not be bidders for his services in 2024. Maybe if he casts his net and gets nothing we can take a look, but we desperately need to upgrade WR2 in the offseason.
  • As much as I don't want to dump of Gabe, I find it hard to point out the days Sherfield, Kincaid and Shakir had without damning by comparison. While none of them are a #2 WR seeing Sherfield being heads up in the Red Zone on a tip drill, Shakir's route running and Kincaid's feel for coverage makes their absence in Gabe more pronounced. Our offense has a fantastic cast outside of that one spot.
  • I have given Harty a looooot of grief. And I still expect him as a cap casualty. But man, that punt return gave the Bills a spark exactly when they needed one.
  • I said it before and I will say it again: the Dolphins are frauds of a contender. Perhaps that is a bit harsh, but it's striking whenever they are held up vs an actual contender. Tua is a game manager. Arguably a good one. He gets the ball to those dynamic skill players, but he doesn't make them better. I am eating popcorn as the Dolphins front office decides how they want to handle his contract as his costs are about to skyrocket.
  • Boy I am stoked to have the #2 seed. Not as much for the Wild Card so much as avoiding the Ravens for as long as possible. I want to see them try to make a mistake, because they made a few this year.
  • AFC EAST CHAMPS BABY WHOOOO
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

What this defense has been able to do without key contributors healthy at each level of our defense is pretty incredible.  McD deserves all the props in the world for that.

Only blunder in my eyes is continuing to force Von Miller in the lineup, but what can ya do.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I forgot to mention that Bills fans showed up and were so energized by the punt return TD that the Dolphins had trouble getting play in at their own house.

How, as a fan of a team, do you let the other teams travelers come into your house and buy the majority of tickets (52%?) in the most meaningful divisional game to end the season in years???

🤯

looks like Douglas will be just fine, says he could have gutted it out if they needed him to but decided to let Dane ball. 

Gabe knee looks to have been a contusion from falling in the end zone directly onto his knee. Likely a contusion with swelling.

Neither injury looks long term so thats great. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

How, as a fan of a team, do you let the other teams travelers come into your house and buy the majority of tickets (52%?) in the most meaningful divisional game to end the season in years???

🤯

I hope we're not saying that this week lol. Highly, highly doubt that though. 10% Steelers fans is too much imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

looks like Douglas will be just fine, says he could have gutted it out if they needed him to but decided to let Dane ball. 

Gabe knee looks to have been a contusion from falling in the end zone directly onto his knee. Likely a contusion with swelling.

I saw the Douglas update after I posted but the Gabe is good news too. Not that I am Gabe's biggest fan but I would prefer not to disrupt the offense more than necessary.

Lets work Douglas back slow next week is possible. I won't hate resting him if that's the best option long term.

9 minutes ago, BBFL said:

🤯

It's part of why they are frauds. It's mindboggling to me that you have the chance at your first division title in 15 years, with a hated rival coming to town in the last game of the season and they take over your house. This isn't a  mid-season, down year, transplant heavy Chargers game, this was supposed to be their stamp and the fans showed what they are.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

t's part of why they are frauds. It's mindboggling to me that you have the chance at your first division title in 15 years, with a hated rival coming to town in the last game of the season and they take over your house. This isn't a  mid-season, down year, transplant heavy Chargers game, this was supposed to be their stamp and the fans showed what they are.

Boggles the mind. Truly a “fan” base that deserves absolutely nothing.

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, the last time I wrote one of these the title was "Burn it Down."

So...a lot has changed since then. And I think I should start there.

• I was on the "tar and feather Sean McDermott" bus for a hot minute there so I think it's deserving to give a two parter giving him some flowers.
    •  When news broke about his "motivational speaking" I thought it was over. And, credit to him and his staff, they broke out of the nosedive. 6-1 after the Broncos debacle including five straight wins, including a bunch over playoff teams kind of speaks for itself. Not only did the team hold, it seems to have gelled.
    • I know the Dolphins weren't at full strength on offense, but holding them to 14 points? Impressive. Even more impressive is how McDermott rallied the defense to do it. When I saw Douglas was out, I thought the game might get away but nope, adjustments were made. I am loath to credit Mike McDaniel for much, but that little pop swing pass to Achane is devilishly clever (and will be even more dangerous with Mostert back as a tempo change) and yet the Bills made an in game adjustment.
  • We got the full Josh Allen experience tonight. It is not good for my heart, but dear god is it highlight real (both the highs and the lows)
  • I am hoping the Rasul Douglass injury is nothing. That he was standing on the sideline makes me hopeful it isn't a break or ACL, but I am torn between knowing we need him and wanting to keep him safe for 2024. We will see on the injury report.
  • Speaking of in game injuries, the same return could not be said for Gabe Davis. I know it's popular to dunk on him, and I like to think I've been even handed in my criticisms. I don't want anything bad to happen to him (I hope he's not seriously hurt), but ho boy, another Gabe Davis red zone (I think option route) miscue continues to solidify in my mind that the Bills should not be bidders for his services in 2024. Maybe if he casts his net and gets nothing we can take a look, but we desperately need to upgrade WR2 in the offseason.
  • As much as I don't want to dump of Gabe, I find it hard to point out the days Sherfield, Kincaid and Shakir had without damning by comparison. While none of them are a #2 WR seeing Sherfield being heads up in the Red Zone on a tip drill, Shakir's route running and Kincaid's feel for coverage makes their absence in Gabe more pronounced. Our offense has a fantastic cast outside of that one spot.
  • I have given Harty a looooot of grief. And I still expect him as a cap casualty. But man, that punt return gave the Bills a spark exactly when they needed one.
  • I said it before and I will say it again: the Dolphins are frauds of a contender. Perhaps that is a bit harsh, but it's striking whenever they are held up vs an actual contender. Tua is a game manager. Arguably a good one. He gets the ball to those dynamic skill players, but he doesn't make them better. I am eating popcorn as the Dolphins front office decides how they want to handle his contract as his costs are about to skyrocket.
  • Boy I am stoked to have the #2 seed. Not as much for the Wild Card so much as avoiding the Ravens for as long as possible. I want to see them try to make a mistake, because they made a few this year.
  • AFC EAST CHAMPS BABY WHOOOO

His double block on that shakir catch and run was a thing of beauty.  

I can't put anything on gabe on that interception.  Allen wasn't even looking at him.  He just threw up a duck to no one in particular.  

• Agree 4

17 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

What about Dodson's shoulder injury. I don't see any updates online

22 minutes ago, BBFL said:

🤯

Capitalism.  Free Market.  Limp fans doing lines of coke.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ganesh said:

What about Dodson's shoulder injury. I don't see any updates online

have seen nothing about it. He would be the least of my concerns. He has been playing really well in the role they have been asking him, no doubt. Spector came in and played like a man possessed though I will say that. 

13 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

have seen nothing about it. He would be the least of my concerns. He has been playing really well in the role they have been asking him, no doubt. Spector came in and played like a man possessed though I will say that. 

As a quick aside, who here has been pleasantly surprised at the quality of our LB depth this year?

Because, uh, I was worried at season start.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Boggles the mind. Truly a “fan” base that deserves absolutely nothing.

My experience with that fan base has been nothing but negative. Is it just me or are they worse than Pats fans? Massholes were frustrating because they just acted like winning was owed them and they always acted superior, but tbh their team was just better than everyone else's at the time. I haven't encountered a modern Fish fan who isn't simple delusional - i.e. they aren't just good, Tua is better than Allen and the Bills suck; their stadium cooks opposing players to death, that's hilarious (I find this assinine); I've seen WAY more personal insults towards other fans on twitter from these people than I ever saw from NE fans. 

Am I wrong in my feelings here or they just worse? 

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

As a quick aside, who here has been pleasantly surprised at the quality of our LB depth this year?

Absolutely- was worried about talent and sized. I don’t know if it’s the Front 4 being awesome or just a bunch of overachievers at linebacker or not playing to many bruising teams but it’s worked. 

18 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

we all were. Man Bernard is freaking fantastic,  Dodson has played great, goes down and Spector didn't miss a beat

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know the Dolphins weren't at full strength on offense, but holding them to 14 points? Impressive. Even more impressive is how McDermott rallied the defense to do it. When I saw Douglas was out, I thought the game might get away but nope, adjustments were made. I am loath to credit Mike McDaniel for much, but that little pop swing pass to Achane is devilishly clever (and will be even more dangerous with Mostert back as a tempo change) and yet the Bills made an in game adjustment.

Spector was called in and played well.  The LB situation this season makes me ask this question to those who know more about the X's and O's

than me.

Does McDermott have a great scheme for the LBs or is it more talent?  Everyone (and I mean everyone) was on him about the LB situation

this off season.  These LBs have played great.

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Speaking of in game injuries, the same return could not be said for Gabe Davis. I know it's popular to dunk on him, and I like to think I've been even handed in my criticisms. I don't want anything bad to happen to him (I hope he's not seriously hurt), but ho boy, another Gabe Davis red zone (I think option route) miscue continues to solidify in my mind that the Bills should not be bidders for his services in 2024. Maybe if he casts his net and gets nothing we can take a look, but we desperately need to upgrade WR2 in the offseason.

Interesting you blame the two red zone miscues on Gabe.

By chance could the blame be placed on Josh ... you say yourself that they were "option routes" which pretty much suggests the receiver has the "option" if the coverage has inside leverage at the top of the stem to break the route to the outside and vice-a-versa. Josh has already said that on the first one he did not see the play develop and "flipped a coin in his head as to where Gabe would be" and chose poorly. If you watch last nights play, coverage was clearly outside dictating Gabe break off inside ... could this have been another Josh miscue???

Don't get me wrong I love me some Josh ... but blaming other players for his mistakes is just silly and counter productive.

Now if you want to blame the O-line for the constant pressure up the middle in Josh's face (maybe forcing these types of miscues) I'm 100% in agreement.

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

🤯

transient states, the home team has issues....LA has home field issues as the folksin LA don't like going to football games....Vegas to a degree but Florida is the worst for home field advantage besides when its 90+ degree with 80+humidyt in the fall and the visiting team gets to sit in the sun all day :P

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spector was called in and played well.  The LB situation this season makes me ask this question to those who know more about the X's and O's

than me.

Does McDermott have a great scheme for the LBs or is it more talent?  Everyone (and I mean everyone) was on him about the LB situation

this off season.  These LBs have played great.

You're not alone in thinking that. I know I have been wondering what happens next year, especially with Hyde and Rapp's contracts ending, and Poyer's end looming at the horizon. Do we go back to more of a standard 4-3 with Taron Johnson acting as more of a tweener? Do we shuffle one of our undersized LBs into a hybrid safety?

I think we add safety in the offseason, but I find it hard to keep playmaking LBs off the field.

20 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

You're not alone in thinking that. I know I have been wondering what happens next year, especially with Hyde and Rapp's contracts ending, and Poyer's end looming at the horizon. Do we go back to more of a standard 4-3 with Taron Johnson acting as more of a tweener? Do we shuffle one of our undersized LBs into a hybrid safety?

I think we add safety in the offseason, but I find it hard to keep playmaking LBs off the field.

Maybe.  We all know McD is pretty good picking up and using DBs, just wondering if the same is true with the LBs.

I speculated (more a question) early in the year that maybe these smaller quicker LBs are a "wave of the future".

The safety question will be interesting for next year.

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I forgot to mention that Bills fans showed up and were so energized by the punt return TD that the Dolphins had trouble getting play in at their own house.

They were having trouble getting plays in from the start.  I LMAO when the announcers were touting the Dolphins great W-L record at home.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.