Milano discusses his injury for first time

7 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I’m an anesthesiologist with a couple thousand knee replacements under my belt. Most of these football players end up with arthritic knees. Now add a fracture that crosses the joint space at the top of the tibia and you are talking guaranteed arthritis. He will be fine to play and finish out his career, it’s soon after he retires that he will be getting that knee tuned up. Fortunately, we’ve come so far with knee replacements that they can be same day surgeries. At one place we’d do 5 a day by 4 pm.

Kyle is a physical therapist, he’s not a physician btw. Listen to the difference between him and Chao who’s actually an orthopedic surgeon. Night and day. He’s very good at discussing likely rehab times once he knows the injury, because that’s his job. He is right that Milano will be able to play post injury.

I get his schtick, I know Marino likes to have him on weekly, but I rarely hear useful information from him. It’s a lot of hedging “Well, he didn’t practice all week, but if does play Sunday it will be a limited snap count”. Wow, brilliant.

Appreciate the context and does describe why i was hearing different things (will need replacement vs should be good).  if you saying post career hell for sure need knee replacement i think thats different than what he is saying. 

i agree he does a lot of simple research on how the team treats injuries ("in Mcd's tenure we dont see them come back from hamstrings quick"), but the timelines for return as well as likelihood of return to full performance should be published.  I would expect both of you to be able to do that literature review and come to similar conclusions.  that might not be too helpful for me, but helps me greatly.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

Appreciate the context and does describe why i was hearing different things (will need replacement vs should be good).  if you saying post career hell for sure need knee replacement i think thats different than what he is saying. 

i agree he does a lot of simple research on how the team treats injuries ("in Mcd's tenure we dont see them come back from hamstrings quick"), but the timelines for return as well as likelihood of return to full performance should be published.  I would expect both of you to be able to do that literature review and come to similar conclusions.  that might not be too helpful for me, but helps me greatly.  

He does a fine job describing the usual course of recovery from an injury once he knows what the actually injury is. I find that helpful too. Unfortunately the Bills are very tight with medical information so he has to do a lot of speculation on the type of injury and that’s where he struggles because he’s not an orthopod. The result is a lot of speculation (Like Josh’s elbow injury last year) and a lot of “If it’s this, he will play next week. If it’s that, he’s out for the season. Let’s see if he practices”. 

I had a type II tibial plateau fracture. Hardware still in knee. I believe that there are 6 different grades depending on displacement and/or if soft tissue injury involved. Sounds like Milano's was less serious in nature. Still not fun.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Augie said:

I broke that in a high school scrimmage against Amherst. Nobody really cared this much. 🤷‍♂️

Where did you go and when... ps I went to Amherst tho didnt play football... soccer and track

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Where did you go and when... ps I went to Amherst tho didnt play football... soccer and track

I graduated from St Joe’s in ‘77, but lived out in Williamsville and East Amherst. That will take you 3 hours a day on the bus until you get a car. UGH! 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I graduated from St Joe’s in ‘77, but lived out in Williamsville and East Amherst. That will take you 3 hours a day on the bus until you get a car. UGH! 

oof st joes boy... yet you played a public hs game.  Dont remember ever playing joes hmmm

ps I have done plenty of xrays and ct's on knee injuries... as well as used a c-arm in the OR to xray as surgery is going on... while we dont know the type of fx Milano sustained ... non of it is fun... no comment on recovery time as I have no idea and as far as replacement surgery goes post career it will be more likely the result of just playing... Also pt has much improved... reducing arthritis if he sticks with it post career.

6 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

oof st joes boy... yet you played a public hs game.  Dont remember ever playing joes hmmm

ps I have done plenty of xrays and ct's on knee injuries... as well as used a c-arm in the OR to xray as surgery is going on... while we dont know the type of fx Milano sustained ... non of it is fun... no comment on recovery time as I have no idea and as far as replacement surgery goes post career it will be more likely the result of just playing... Also pt has much improved... reducing arthritis if he sticks with it post career.

It was just a scrimmage at Amherst. 

• Like (+1) 1

Part of me wonders if they make the SB if they let him suit him up and take the field for a play or two almost as a ceremonial thing to reward him for his career here - so he can actually say he played in the SB, who knows if you ever get back.  Would prob require taking a spot from some low end ST guy though

4 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

We have Flutie Flakes. Why do the Bills not have Milano’s Milano, should partner with PF. I’d buy it. 

I think if you just draw an "S" on the Pepperidge Farm bag, you can pull it off.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Dude, read for God's sake.

You made him repeat himself (he already said St. Joes' and scrimmage) and then you doubt the veracity of his story?

I thought Amherst was a good school...

On 1/4/2024 at 9:53 PM, Bferra13 said:

Doesn't shock me at all. Once the bone heals it's ready. He was jumping 3 weeks ago. No ligament damage. Let's go! Hopefully we are in a position where he can get into practice again.

I don't know what your medical background is (I am not in the medical profession) but that's baloney.  I've had a broken lower extremity bone, have you?  Just having my ankle casted and non-weight-bearing for 4 weeks, I was shocked by the muscle wasting when I got a walking cast for the next 4 weeks. 

Milano said he couldn't bear weight on his leg - at all - for 8 weeks.  If you read Trimble's blurb he has videos about the injury and the surgery and pictures that make it pretty clear why this is true.  The tibeal plateau is the attachment point for all of the knee ligaments, and normal knee motion (let alone the kind of vigorous motion Milano puts on his knee) would possibly stress the healing of the fragments together.

So basically, with non-weight-bearing for 8 weeks, once that's through the "fun begins" of rebuilding muscle strength.  Now I know Milano has the best rehab facilities and they can hopefully maintain some muscle mass by various means, but the bottom line mechanics are that contracting muscles will put stress on the healing tibial plateau fragments so significant loss of strength seems inevitable.

The fact that Milano was jumping up and down a bit on the sideline does not mean he can go play football like the "Guido Torpedo" he is.  I could jump up and down on the sideline a bit!

Trimble himself says

Tibial fractures that required surgery have a median lost days of 232 days (mean 220 +/- 97.5 days.) which equates to nearly eight months. Based on this information, this all but rules out Milano for the remainder of the 2023 season.

Edited by Beck Water

20 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

guy seems to get hurt every year.  Not even "injury prone," it's just like a different random thing.  Glad we have LB depth.  

Wat?

Dude, I think you need to look around the league at time lost from injury in LB who play Milano's position.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:53 PM, billsintaiwan said:

Pretty sure he didn't rub any dirt on it. That's the first and most critical step in the rehabilitation process.

One of the reasons the NFLPA is pushing for all grass fields.

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Wat?

Dude, I think you need to look around the league at time lost from injury in LB who play Milano's position.

he seems to have a season ender or prolonger injury every year.  Again, not his fault, seems to be bad luck.  

27 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=911444997008519&set=a.798927781593575&type=3&mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

looks like he can walk pretty well on to the airplane and travel with the team 

I mean, you or I could probably walk pretty well onto the airplane and travel with the team, What's Your Point here?

On 1/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

Dude, read for God's sake.

You made him repeat himself (he already said St. Joes' and scrimmage) and then you doubt the veracity of his story?

I thought Amherst was a good school...

You can't read abbreviations and shorthand.. you must have gone to Sweethome... easy there

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.