McDermott’s Defense against #1 Offense? Discuss

BringBackFergy

On 12/22/2023 at 6:35 AM, PatsFanNH said:

Let’s look how it’s been the last 3 games:

Philly: D played well for 3 qrtrs gave up 17 points in the 4th which included an unbelievable 59 yard FG. Collapse hurt the team Grade? C — wasn’t for the unbelievable FG it’s a win but you can’t collapse like this in the 4th qrtr.

KC — played a great game, held on and won it for the Bills partially because Toney lined up Offside. This game was won because of the D. Grade - B they played very well and for once luck was on their side.

Dallas — absolutely destroyed the Boys O. They had a great game plan and the Cowboys never adapted the O and well the game was over by halftime. Grade — A+ — couldn’t have played any better and they never had to adapt the game plan since Dallas never adapted their O. 

As you can see the D improved every week, also 2 out of the 3 weeks the Bills O scored 30+ points.   The Bills can beat anyone in the AFC this year, but the margin for error is small.

Also of note, D played well on the road against two really good teams and then totally dominated a great offense when they went back home. They did seem to run out of gas in the Philly game. 

Just now, FireChans said:

Game ova. Field goals didn’t get it done for the bad guys. 1-0 mindset baby!

How much did the chargers remind you of the Bills during the drought? So many times coming to play, maximum effort, major underdogs, doing all we can to come up short? 

Just now, boyst said:

How much did the chargers remind you of the Bills during the drought? So many times coming to play, maximum effort, major underdogs, doing all we can to come up short? 

That’s what bad teams do. Compete with a sleepwalking good team only to lose at the end. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Glad he got himself ready instead of the players who don't need to tackle, avoid penalties, focus on ST, and ya know... Play well.

So when Josh throws a dumb pick or players fumble the ball that is on the head coach? Come on. That is nonsense. The players made dumb mistakes that let a bad team playing hard hang around. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

Who was dialing up the ‘pressure’ packages? 

Sean McDermott. 

The Chargers managed two drives over 35 yards all day. Their first where they drove the field and a 46 yarder in the second half. After their first drive and the script they averaged 16 yards per drive.

The reason they were able to kick so many FGs out of that pathetic offensive production was because of Deonte Harty, Josh Allen and James Cook 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sean McDermott. 

The Chargers managed two drives over 35 yards all day. Their first where they drove the field and a 46 yarder in the second half. After their first drive and the script they averaged 16 yards per drive.

The reason they were able to kick so many FGs out of that pathetic offensive production was because of Deonte Harty, Josh Allen and James Cook 

Raiders hung 63 on these boys last week because they fumbled 3-4 times.

Turnovers matter. It’s an upsetting narrative in Buffalo, but they just do.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Raiders hung 63 on these boys last week because they fumbled 3-4 times.

Turnovers matter. It’s an upsetting narrative in Buffalo, but they just do.

Yep. Last week Chargers lost the turnover battle 0-5. This week they won it 3-0. That is a +8 swing. 

That is all there is to it. I thinke probably played with a bit more energy for the interim HC, but the difference is turnovers.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sean McDermott. 

How many tough, tight window, throws did the Bills force Stick to make? 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't try that many. Hence he had a pitiful 6.4 ypa. 

If you think the defense was the issue tonight I don't know what to tell you. 

I didn’t say that “the defense was the issue”, nor did I insinuate that.  

the defense did not play well, however…against a backup QB and a team missing their WR1.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

I didn’t say that “the defense was the issue”, nor did I insinuate that.  

the defense did not play well, however…against a backup QB and a team missing their WR1.

Disagree, the defense was fine. The Chargers had 2 drives of any note. If the Bills don't turn it over 3 times and end up going backwards 20 yards on another drive giving them good field position the Chargers would have struggled to get double figures. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So when Josh throws a dumb pick or players fumble the ball that is on the head coach? Come on. That is nonsense. The players made dumb mistakes that let a bad team playing hard hang around. 

You're looking at just a few plays that do not compromise the full game. The first half the chargers dominated us on the field. We made mistakes, yes. But, our defense couldn't get off the field, our offense was sputtering, our special teams was aloof. All of this is a common team. These coaches we play sure do a great job psyching the teams up to play us: giants, jets I, chargers, and so many others.

We play without temperament, without swagger, we play like McDermott behaves and that is not the personality of the key players on this team, the leaders.

McDermott is not the coach for this team. 

• Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, boyst said:

You're looking at just a few plays that do not compromise the full game. The first half the chargers dominated us on the field. We made mistakes, yes. But, our defense couldn't get off the field, our offense was sputtering, our special teams was aloof. All of this is a common team. These coaches we play sure do a great job psyching the teams up to play us: giants, jets I, chargers, and so many others.

We play without temperament, without swagger, we play like McDermott behaves and that is not the personality of the key players on this team, the leaders.

You have to be trolling!!! 😄

1 hour ago, boyst said:

LA in 1st Half 

14 Plays, 90 Yards in 6:40 (FG)

4 Plays, -2 Yards in 3:26 (Punt)

4 Plays, 27 Yards in 1:14 (TD)*

3 Plays, 7 yards in 1:31 (Punt) 

7 Plays, 12 yards in 4:33 (Punt) 

1 Play, 6 yards in 0:33 (HALF) 

33 Plays, 140 Yards, 10 Points

*TD came off Deonte Harty fumble 

The Bills ran 24 plays for 176 yards and 14 points. 

What the ***** are you taking about? 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Once again Sean McDermott’s defense keeping the Bills in the game when the offense kept trying to give it away. It’s been the story of the season. Yeah he’s a had few mishaps but he’s been coaching his ass off this season. Especially giving the injuries to key guys early in the season. Give the man his props!! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, boyst said:

I mean this is all just wrong. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

LA in 1st Half 

14 Plays, 90 Yards in 6:40 (FG)

4 Plays, -2 Yards in 3:26 (Punt)

4 Plays, 27 Yards in 1:14 (TD)*

3 Plays, 7 yards in 1:31 (Punt) 

7 Plays, 12 yards in 4:33 (Punt) 

1 Play, 6 yards in 0:33 (HALF) 

33 Plays, 140 Yards, 10 Points

*TD came off Deonte Harty fumble 

The Bills ran 24 plays for 176 yards and 14 points. 

What the ***** are you taking about? 

Look at our offense against them.

29 minutes ago, boyst said:

Look at our offense against them.

So when Josh misses a wide open Davis and Kincaid on 3rd down throws we blame coaching?

Is there anything we don't blame coaching for?

EDIT: there has been LOTS to blame coaching for this year. Both coordinators and the Head Coach as the Head Coach. But it has got ridiculous now. The Bills were well coached last night. The issues yesterday were all about player execution and individual errors that let a bad team hang around.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So when Josh misses a wide open Davis and Kincaid on 3rd down throws we blame coaching?

Wins. Playoff wins. 4 straight 11+ win seasons. Good play. Mid and late rounders playing at Pro Bowl levels. 

None of that is coaching, no siree.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

EDIT: there has been LOTS to blame coaching for this year. Both coordinators and the Head Coach as the Head Coach. But it has got ridiculous now. The Bills were well coached last night. The issues yesterday were all about player execution and individual errors that let a bad team hang around.

When we look at small individual plays it's easy to point blame with the microscope. I keep looking at these games as an overall theme, as an overall scheme, as the concept of football. And I don't see it being successful.

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, boyst said:

When we look at small individual plays it's easy to point blame with the microscope. I keep looking at these games as an overall theme, as an overall scheme, as the concept of football. And I don't see it being successful.

How many plans are successfull when the turnover battle is lost 3-0?

I am not pointing with a microscope. I am pointing at the people making mistakes. And I have pointed at coaching plenty this year. It is totally inplausible to me that last night was coaching. It was unforced execution errors.

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah, 24 plays for 176 yards and 14 points. 

Where is the Chargers domination? 

It's Easton Stick throwing to the #3 and #4 WRs on the depth chart... It's an OL down to its 3rd center... We should expect total domination. Giving up even 1 TD, even on a short field, is inexcusable. Zero turnovers is inexcusable. Only creating one 3 and out is inexcusable. Giving up 4 FGs on drives that started at or before the 50 is inexcusable. Those 4 FG drives plus 7 points instead of 3 points after Harty's fumble, that is 16 points legitimately given up by the defense to Easton Stick and his cast of nobodies.

You have to adjust your expectations higher against this opponent. I think any defense could have done what ours did last night. They didn't lose us the game but they probably should have made it an easy stress-free win, if they had played up to a championship standard like we expect.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, nucci said:

defense was fine. Offense with 3 turnovers and bad penalties

I love letting Mac Jones, estin stick, and jabroni ls who won't be playing in 3 years eat us alive with 4th string WR's. If that offense was full strength they'd have ate our biscuits. Our scheme and process choked 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It's Easton Stick throwing to the #3 and #4 WRs on the depth chart... It's an OL down to its 3rd center... We should expect total domination. Giving up even 1 TD, even on a short field, is inexcusable. Zero turnovers is inexcusable. Only creating one 3 and out is inexcusable. Giving up 4 FGs on drives that started at or before the 50 is inexcusable. Those 4 FG drives plus 7 points instead of 3 points after Harty's fumble, that is 16 points legitimately given up by the defense to Easton Stick and his cast of nobodies.

You have to adjust your expectations higher against this opponent. I think any defense could have done what ours did last night. They didn't lose us the game but they probably should have made it an easy stress-free win, if they had played up to a championship standard like we expect.

Giving up no touchdowns is extraordinary difficult in the NFL, no matter who your opponent is. Even Washington scored on the Jets today 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is plainly obvious 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Giving up no touchdowns is extraordinary difficult in the NFL, no matter who your opponent is. Even Washington scored on the Jets today 

Did you see what a not very good raiders defense did to that chargers team just the week before

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.