Bills cornerback Kaiir Elam says he tore ankle ligament in preseason and tried to play through it

HOUSE

14 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Untitled.jpg.a362aa2e40c33ae74b617b98b04217c2.jpg

Buffalo Bills cornerback Kaiir Elam told The Buffalo News after Wednesday’s walk-through that a torn deltoid ligament in his ankle forced him to injured reserve on Nov. 2.

The deltoid ligament is the main ligament of the inner ankle.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/buffalo-bills-kaiir-elam-injury-torn-ligament-nfl/article_740f0eda-99f5-11ee-b3ab-abe44fea143b.html#tncms-source=login

I would definitely say that that could have some impact on his play for sure ! I hope he's back to full health & can be the player they thought he would be when they chose him in the draft . According to Cosell he's the most athletic corner the Bills have and could be a very welcome sight on the field if he can even play close to his status, let's hope !! 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Benford was clearly ahead of him...last season. You can go back and look at all the camp notes and see that Elam was clearly running ahead in the battle this season. 

And the Bills didn't "spend a 3rd rounder". They slide a 3rd for a 5th and this was likely more due to the White injury. 

You seem to think Elam is what? Lying? Or that if he's telling the truth having torn ligament in your ankle would have a down effect on a CB? 

He got beat out by a 6th rounder last year, and has been effectively out for 4 months with a sprained ankle that he’s calling a torn ligament and kinda suggesting the team made him try to play through it.  Say what you want about McBeane, but they’ve always been very conservative with player injuries.  Major red flags around Elam.  

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Benford was clearly ahead of him...last season. You can go back and look at all the camp notes and see that Elam was clearly running ahead in the battle this season. 

And the Bills didn't "spend a 3rd rounder". They slide a 3rd for a 5th and this was likely more due to the White injury. 

You seem to think Elam is what? Lying? Or that if he's telling the truth having torn ligament in your ankle would have a down effect on a CB? 

We had 2 3rd's too actually.  I wonder which one we used.  

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He got beat out by a 6th rounder last year, and has been effectively out for 4 months with a sprained ankle that he’s calling a torn ligament and kinda suggesting the team made him try to play through it.  Say what you want about McBeane, but they’ve always been very conservative with player injuries.  Major red flags around Elam.  

Again, you call a torn ligament a sprain. Did you ever think that maybe he's calling it a torn ligament...because that's what it was? I am pretty sure he would have more access to his medical records than you correct? 

And yes, Buffalo is always super conservative with injury. Like Groot, who has played all year with a broken bone in his foot. Or, you know, certainly that they have been super conservative with their franchise QB who has played through a shoulder injury all year. And an UCL all last year. No one ever played injured on this (or any other) team. No, siree Bob.

Laughable.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Again, you call a torn ligament a sprain. Did you ever think that maybe he's calling it a torn ligament...because that's what it was? I am pretty sure he would have more access to his medical records than you correct? 

And yes, Buffalo is always super conservative with injury. Like Groot, who has played all year with a broken bone in his foot. Or, you know, certainly that they have been super conservative with their franchise QB who has played through a shoulder injury all year. And an UCL all last year. No one ever played injured on this (or any other) team. No, siree Bob.

Laughable.

So you’re taking Elam’s side here?  Meanie McDermott made him play when he should’ve got surgery.  Yet he still didn’t get surgery when he went on IR.  

16 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I just don’t get why he’d wait so long to tell the story 

Sounds like the Bills trainers are at fault here. 

They would advise the Coaching Staff as to the severity of the injury and recommendation on playing status vs. IR. 

That's on the medical team, not the player. 

15 hours ago, NoSaint said:

so once called out that he’s had a month where opponents wouldn’t target him youve progressed from reporters needing to camp outside his house and stalk him for him to share his injury update or possibly the silence being to avoid being treated like a notoriously out of touch with human behavior superstar qb? 

and I’m the one being strange saying I’m surprised he didn’t comment on his injury a couple weeks ago, when his reputation was getting shredded and he went on IR?

It would seem to me that teams advise players to not speak about injuries to protect them from targeting. Lest we forget, immediately after the 2015 season Robert Woods had surgery for a torn groin which he had been playing for a while (and which had never been reported as such; it was a "leg-probable" situation for the second half of the season) and Chris Hogan had surgery for torn ligaments in his wrist that was never reported at all. Think about this year: we had no idea about the extent of Dawson Knox's injury (and we blamed him for bad hands) when in fact he was playing with torn ligaments in his wrist. Both teams and players don't let this stuff out, and it's not for "toughness" reasons; it's to hide useful information from opponents. 

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Player makes injury sound worse months after playing horrible to preserve some shreds of reputation.

Common tactic. 

Gabe’s lingering hamstring is up next.

It's usually actually the opposite, and you're wrong. We tend to find out later that players played through injuries that were a lot worse than the injury reports indicated.

16 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Maybe he didn’t care what the outside world thought, or didn’t want to come off as making excuses.  Those are just a couple reasons I can think of as to not just run to social media.

No doubt.  Some players/people are more private, for whatever reason.  I just watched the Barry Sanders documentary this week.  One of the best players in the history of the league and a beast on the field, but a very low key guy off the field.  He HATED notoriety and and avoided the spotlight at all costs.  I'm not comparing Elam's on-the-field talent to Sanders' in any way, but just citing him as an example of an NFL player who prefers to fly under the radar and may not really care what the outside world thought.  Maybe Elam is that type of personality.  And, as stated above, as a young player trying to make his way in the league, maybe he didn't want to come off as making excuses.

Obviously, the Bills were aware of the injury and feel that Elam has some future potential, as they didn't trade or cut him.  I think he still has a chance to be a productive NFL player.  He has the athletic ability and there are no indications that he's lazy or not a team player (that I'm aware of).  Maybe his lack of playing time is a combination of several factors:  a) learning to play zone vs. man; b) Benford playing well and having the zone background; and c) more recently, the injury.  And, given the theory that he's more of a private person, maybe he's chosen to quietly work on his game with an eye towards the future rather than making a lot of noise about a lack of playing time.

Edited by msw2112

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It would seem to me that teams advise players to not speak about injuries to protect them from targeting. Lest we forget, immediately after the 2015 season Robert Woods had surgery for a torn groin which he had been playing for a while (and which had never been reported as such; it was a "leg-probable" situation for the second half of the season) and Chris Hogan had surgery for torn ligaments in his wrist that was never reported at all. Think about this year: we had no idea about the extent of Dawson Knox's injury (and we blamed him for bad hands) when in fact he was playing with torn ligaments in his wrist. Both teams and players don't let this stuff out, and it's not for "toughness" reasons; it's to hide useful information from opponents. 

It's usually actually the opposite, and you're wrong. We tend to find out later that players played through injuries that were a lot worse than the injury reports indicated.

Elam wasn’t even on the injury report until mid-fall, so how does that make any sense?

Why come out and say this now when he’s been on IR for a month?

You know when we hear about terrible lingering injuries that were mysteriously absent weeks prior? After they play crappy and we get knocked out of the playoffs. Diggs and Beasley play terrible? Oh, they were actually just super injured! 

Sure. 

Everyone is hurt, it’s the NFL.

Elam has a sprained ankle. Not a unique injury

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Elam wasn’t even on the injury report until mid-fall, so how does that make any sense?

Why come out and say this now when he’s been on IR for a month?

You know when we hear about terrible lingering injuries that were mysteriously absent weeks prior? After they play crappy and we get knocked out of the playoffs. Diggs and Beasley play terrible? Oh, they were actually just super injured! 

Sure. 

Everyone is hurt, it’s the NFL.

Elam has a sprained ankle. Not a unique injury

Hogan was never on an injury report. Jerry Hughes was never on an injury report when he was playing with a significant wrist injury. Teams do this ALL THE TIME. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Hogan was never on an injury report. Jerry Hughes was never on an injury report when he was playing with a significant wrist injury. Teams do this ALL THE TIME. 

When did Jerry and Hogan announce their injuries?

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

It's plausible this is to provide cover for poor performance. I hope it's not, and is in fact the culprit in his inability to contribute this year. But I'm not pinning hopes on it. 

I think it probably didn’t help his performance, but he was flat out beat by Benford in preseason. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.