Throwback to Another Horrible McDermott Decision

Cheektavegas Charlie

Back in 2017, in McDermott’s first year, we played the colts very late in the season in a game we basically needed to win to have any chance at making the playoffs. This was the memorable snow bowl game. Well during this game, with 4:13 seconds left in overtime, McDermott punted on 4th and 1 on the Colts 41 yard line. This game ending in a tie would have all but sunk our chances of ending the drought. Of course we got the ball back on our own 30 with about 2 minutes left, Joe Webb threw the long pass to Deonte Thompson, and then McCoy broke the long Td run, but regardless of that miraculous outcome, the decision to punt there was TERRIBLE. His bad decisions get magnified in big games when we lose, but people easily forget all the other really bad ones when we win. I don’t want a coach who punts 3 times on 4th and short on the opponents side of the field like McDermott did against the Bucs. If Mike Evans turns around we lose that game, and if Joe Webb, Deonte Thompson, and Shady McCoy didn’t pull out an incredibly unlikely win against the Colts in 2017, the drought would have gone on even longer.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Cheektavegas Charlie said:

Back in 2017, in McDermott’s first year, we played the colts very late in the season in a game we basically needed to win to have any chance at making the playoffs. This was the memorable snow bowl game. Well during this game, with 4:13 seconds left in overtime, McDermott punted on 4th and 1 on the Colts 41 yard line. This game ending in a tie would have all but sunk our chances of ending the drought. Of course we got the ball back on our own 30 with about 2 minutes left, Joe Webb threw the long pass to Deonte Thompson, and then McCoy broke the long Td run, but regardless of that miraculous outcome, the decision to punt there was TERRIBLE. His bad decisions get magnified in big games when we lose, but people easily forget all the other really bad ones when we win. I don’t want a coach who punts 3 times on 4th and short on the opponents side of the field like McDermott did against the Bucs. If Mike Evans turns around we lose that game, and if Joe Webb, Deonte Thompson, and Shady McCoy didn’t pull out an incredibly unlikely win against the Colts in 2017, the drought would have gone on even longer.

Just a quick thought on this one - Shady was on about 30 carries at that point, and the previous play was a run by Cadet.  So my assumption was shady's gassed (running in snow is exhasuting as we all know). Not sure how i feel about a 4th and 1 carry to a running back who averaged .5 yards per carry in the game, and passing with a 3rd string QB/WR/STer.  

I'd go for it - at the time i was outraged too.  

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yeah … that was a bad call… perhaps we can cut him the slightest of slack on that one given his inexperience at the time…

No such leeway now however…not in Josh Allen prime years.,.

It's "Josh Allen prime years" that saved his a$$ here.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Whatever McDermott tries is wrong. He is normally too lax in crunch time and it blows up in his face. When he tries to be aggressive it also blows up in his face. Vikings in ‘22 going for 7 when up by 10. Deep shots v the Jets week 1 with the lead, all out blitz to try to close out the broncos results in game-losing PI. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

We’re probably lucky that Peterman wasn’t half decent.  Josh probably would still be riding the pine, Kaiir Elam style.

I'm tellin' ya.  Just like Brady would have been had Mo Lewis not done Belichick the biggest favor of his life.  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I saw McDermott out Christmas shopping this weekend. He was wearing a plaid sweater with pin striped pants.  What a tool. 

cant even dress himself how is he supposed to make critical decisions in the 4th quarter

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.