I hope that Beane stops listening to McDermott when drafting

margolbe

On 12/5/2023 at 10:54 AM, margolbe said:

The greatest strength of this team is offense, so we don't need to keep drafting undersized linebackers and corners who can't cover.

We need a true number 2 wide receiver (assuming Diggs stays), another offensive lineman (or two), a RB in the line of Murray, but with youth.  
On the defensive side we need someone to replace DeQuan Jones (assuming he goes elsewhere).  Don't know how Milano is going to recover, so we should consider his replacement.

I also think it would worth drafting a developmental quarterback so we don't all have to sweat when Josh takes a hard hit.

I hope that we also hire a defensive coordinator.  Although McDermott is a genius in his own mind, we need a fresh voice on defense.  We also need to fire the ST coach and get some one good in here.

Diggs is under contract for another 2 seasons unless another team is willing to take his contract he's here for the duration & should be ! The O line is something Beane has addressed & they are playing better this year than in the past he has also addressed the running game it has shown to be better this year if used correctly .

All those players that are getting long in the tooth Beane & McD will be looking to replace because that's just the way it works in the NFL . It wouldn't hurt my feeling if they brought in a guy like Schwartz or some one comparable (which i was hoping they did when Frazier retired) but if not for the injuries i feel this D would be once again top 5 .

I have faith that Beane with McD have already considered and talked about everything you As a Fan have thought of in this post and will proceed forward to do what ever is best for the team despite what many fans here might think and i will continue to believe in both of their experience to do just that for the Bills !! 

On 12/5/2023 at 12:00 PM, JohnNord said:

I love how because McDermott is an unpopular figure around here, everything that’s gone wrong is his fault 🤣🤣😂

How do you know that it was McDermott who insisted on making these picks?  How do you know it wasn’t Beane who insisted on defense?

You're right; he's only the head coach and is superior to Beane on the corporate tree, but it's highly unlikely that these lousy draft choices have come from him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2023 at 12:33 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I guess you mean Draft Investment. Because there has been a TON of Free Agency and trade investment into the Offense.

That said - Josh, Jimbo, Torrence, Dawkins, Brown, Knox, Kincaid, Davis, Shakir were all acquired via the draft. Heck even Diggs was acquired via a 1st round pick. (And we'll forget about Singletary and Moss since they are gone)

So outside of Morse and McGovern the entire starting Offense has been drafted.

I agree we should snag a WR early (and maybe more than 1 in this draft), but "investments" have been made in the Offense.

I think the main difference is more of our Offensive picks have hit, likely because of the Josh Effect, so we dont have to keep going back to the well like we do with DL (although one could argue 3 RBs and 2 early TEs is going back to the well).

That’s fair, but is it any coincidence that they unit that has excelled is the one that McD has less control over?  I don’t think it is. McD is a defensive guy yet somehow always seems to ruin great performances by Allen and the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:29 AM, DCofNC said:

Milano is one of the best in the game and Williams is struggling to hold his spot over a guy who wouldn’t have a spot in an NFL roster if McClappy wasn’t obsessed with ST play, in an era where it’s never meant less.

You do understand that Williams is a rookie, right? Not every rookie has instant success. Some of them take time to become better at their game.

See, Terrell Bernard.

1 hour ago, T master said:

Diggs is under contract for another 2 seasons unless another team is willing to take his contract he's here for the duration & should be ! The O line is something Beane has addressed & they are playing better this year than in the past he has also addressed the running game it has shown to be better this year if used correctly .

All those players that are getting long in the tooth Beane & McD will be looking to replace because that's just the way it works in the NFL . It wouldn't hurt my feeling if they brought in a guy like Schwartz or some one comparable (which i was hoping they did when Frazier retired) but if not for the injuries i feel this D would be once again top 5 .

I have faith that Beane with McD have already considered and talked about everything you As a Fan have thought of in this post and will proceed forward to do what ever is best for the team despite what many fans here might think and i will continue to believe in both of their experience to do just that for the Bills !! 

If they bring in another DC it would be to run McDermott's defense like Frazier did, not their own defense.

Just now, frostbitmic said:

If they bring in another DC it would be to run McDermott's defense like Frazier did, not their own defense.

Well i said that in meaning that McD would have the faith in the person he is hiring to do the job as best as possible given his resume & that the new hire would take criticism or input from the HC but also stand on his proven past & together they could have a great D .

The Bills D has been good for a while especially in the statistics but in crunch time the toughness in some respects has come up short which is a lot of why Bills Mafia gets upset & i get it . Schwartz came in here and just did his thing a HC mentality in a coordinators position perfect match and he's still proving it .

McD is a really good coach but still relatively young to the position and i have faith he will figure it out but the only thing that helps is the hands on experiences . I know some of the best lessons i've ever learned have come from when i personally have screwed something up !!

But as a fan all's i can do is hope and put it in the professionals hands and so far i'm loving me some B Bills ! GO BILLS !!!!! 

On 12/5/2023 at 5:13 PM, JohnNord said:

What did he skip?

I think @margolbe, skipped out of here.

Aside from the first page of this thread, he hasn't responded to anyone questioning him, which is very typical of people who start these threads.

Highly doubtful that we hear from this person again, in a meaningful way.

3 minutes ago, T master said:

Well i said that in meaning that McD would have the faith in the person he is hiring to do the job as best as possible given his resume & that the new hire would take criticism or input from the HC but also stand on his proven past & together they could have a great D .

The Bills D has been good for a while especially in the statistics but in crunch time the toughness in some respects has come up short which is a lot of why Bills Mafia gets upset & i get it . Schwartz came in here and just did his thing a HC mentality in a coordinators position perfect match and he's still proving it .

McD is a really good coach but still relatively young to the position and i have faith he will figure it out but the only thing that helps is the hands on experiences . I know some of the best lessons i've ever learned have come from when i personally have screwed something up !!

But as a fan all's i can do is hope and put it in the professionals hands and so far i'm loving me some B Bills ! GO BILLS !!!!! 

The Defense for the most part plays well until you get to a few minutes left in the game. That's not necessarily on the players but on the coaches Prevent Defense. I see the same 2:00 minute Defense that cost us :13, cost us the Eagles game and others. He hasn't learned anything from these epic collapses and I doubt he ever will. If Pegula keeps McDermott expect more of the same.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

You do understand that Williams is a rookie, right? Not every rookie has instant success. Some of them take time to become better at their game.

See, Terrell Bernard.

You realize some guys are just athletes and don’t get better, right? See, Elam.

Edited by DCofNC

On 12/5/2023 at 12:04 PM, dorquemada said:

it was the wasting of multiple high picks on DL that simply haven't been difference makers.  I assume that's McDefensless pressuring Beane to achieve his magical DL rotation but I guess we don't know that for fact?  In any case, I'm not sure Beane can do anything to protect this team from it's coach

Bunch of 12-year-old dorques here with this childish name-calling. Hope you didn't rack your brain too hard on this one, cuz it's pretty stupid and childish.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

That’s fair, but is it any coincidence that they unit that has excelled is the one that McD has less control over?  I don’t think it is. McD is a defensive guy yet somehow always seems to ruin great performances by Allen and the offense.

This defense has saved Allen's ass the past couple of seasons. You all got so used to it, you're surprised when it doesn't happen. You can't have the league leader in turnovers at QB for the last 3 years, win the division in those 3 years without help from the defense. The offense has as much blame as the defense, and we all know who the leader of our offense is. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

You realize some guys are just athletes and don’t get better, right? See, Elam.

Again, you are pointing out someone who has only one year of experience and appears to have had an injury for most of the season.

You're expecting instant gratification from players, and that doesn't happen all the time.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Again, you are pointing out someone who has only one year of experience and appears to have had an injury for most of the season.

You're expecting instant gratification from players, and that doesn't happen all the time.

No, I’m saying not all guys are going to make it.  Just because you draft someone to replace another player, does not mean you have your future player on the roster right now.  Especially when it comes to replacing a super star. 

Would you prefer I point to Cody Ford who was taken a round higher than Williams as a point that not everyone makes it?

Edited by DCofNC

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

No, I’m saying not all guys are going to make it.  Just because you draft someone to replace another player, does not mean you have your future player on the roster right now.  Especially when it comes to replacing a super star. 

Would you prefer I point to Cody Ford who was taken a round higher than Williams as a point that not everyone makes it?

That's true, not all players are going to make it.

That being said it's unfair to write off a player after one year or while in their rookie season. Which is why I brought up Bernard as an example.

A lot of people on this board thought he was a bust after one year. Bernard has proven many doubters wrong.

10 hours ago, T master said:

I would be taking a wide receiver, high for multiple reasons

First to unlock diggs

Because Diggs isn’t getting any younger

11 hours ago, T master said:

Diggs is under contract for another 2 seasons unless another team is willing to take his contract he's here for the duration & should be !

He's under contract for another 4 seasons! We can get out of it in 2 tho. But we shouldn't. Dude should be allowed  to play out that contract and finish his career here.

All the more reason to draft our next WR1 this year. Get two WR1s for the price of one for the next 4 years!

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2023 at 11:54 AM, margolbe said:

The greatest strength of this team is offense, so we don't need to keep drafting undersized linebackers and corners who can't cover.

We need a true number 2 wide receiver (assuming Diggs stays), another offensive lineman (or two), a RB in the line of Murray, but with youth.  
On the defensive side we need someone to replace DeQuan Jones (assuming he goes elsewhere).  Don't know how Milano is going to recover, so we should consider his replacement.

I also think it would worth drafting a developmental quarterback so we don't all have to sweat when Josh takes a hard hit.

I hope that we also hire a defensive coordinator.  Although McDermott is a genius in his own mind, we need a fresh voice on defense.  We also need to fire the ST coach and get some one good in here.

You don’t know who Beane listens to. Really, you don’t know anything. You’re posting about things you nothing about. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.