I hope that Beane stops listening to McDermott when drafting

margolbe

The greatest strength of this team is offense, so we don't need to keep drafting undersized linebackers and corners who can't cover.

We need a true number 2 wide receiver (assuming Diggs stays), another offensive lineman (or two), a RB in the line of Murray, but with youth.  
On the defensive side we need someone to replace DeQuan Jones (assuming he goes elsewhere).  Don't know how Milano is going to recover, so we should consider his replacement.

I also think it would worth drafting a developmental quarterback so we don't all have to sweat when Josh takes a hard hit.

I hope that we also hire a defensive coordinator.  Although McDermott is a genius in his own mind, we need a fresh voice on defense.  We also need to fire the ST coach and get some one good in here.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I love how because McDermott is an unpopular figure around here, everything that’s gone wrong is his fault 🤣🤣😂

How do you know that it was McDermott who insisted on making these picks?  How do you know it wasn’t Beane who insisted on defense?

• Like (+1) 17
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

I love how because McDermott is an unpopular figure around here, everything that’s gone wrong is his fault 🤣🤣😂

How do you know that it was McDermott who insisted on making these picks?  How do you know it wasn’t Beane who insisted on defense?

Don't know for sure, but some of Beane's picks sure looked like stretches -- like he was told from McD that he needs this kind of player.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 11
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, margolbe said:

The greatest strength of this team is offense, so we don't need to keep drafting undersized linebackers and corners who can't cover.

We need a true number 2 wide receiver (assuming Diggs stays), another offensive lineman (or two), a RB in the line of Murray, but with youth.  
On the defensive side we need someone to replace DeQuan Jones (assuming he goes elsewhere).  Don't know how Milano is going to recover, so we should consider his replacement.

I also think it would worth drafting a developmental quarterback so we don't all have to sweat when Josh takes a hard hit.

I hope that we also hire a defensive coordinator.  Although McDermott is a genius in his own mind, we need a fresh voice on defense.  We also need to fire the ST coach and get some one good in here.

What you posted here is common sense NFL 101 backed up by all the available evidence.  And to make this really work we need to part ways with McD and fully turn the franchise in an offensive direction.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, margolbe said:

They have Milano’s replacement with Williams, just as they had Edmunds replacement in Bernard.  I think Jones is signed for next year?  

• Haha (+1) 1

it was the wasting of multiple high picks on DL that simply haven't been difference makers.  I assume that's McDefensless pressuring Beane to achieve his magical DL rotation but I guess we don't know that for fact?  In any case, I'm not sure Beane can do anything to protect this team from it's coach

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6

McD looks like he just tolerates offense and thinks defense wins all the games.  He is stuck in an old coaching mentality and hasn't embraced the modern realities of the NFL.  The rules favor offense and we need an offensive minded staff, with a solid enough defense to prevent a collapse.  McD has not shown that he is capable of this.  Others have referred to him as a poor man's Dick Jauron.  He might be closer to a poor man's Chuck Knox.

Edited by margolbe
addition
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, margolbe said:

McD looks like he just tolerates offense and thinks defense wins all the games.  He is stuck in an old coaching mentality and hasn't embraced the modern realities of the NFL.  The rules favor offense and we need an offensive minded staff, with a solid enough defense to prevent a collapse.  McD has not shown that he is capable of this

So what about Kincaid ?

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So he is capable then …

First round offensive players are just better value overall for this team in that you are getting guys w NFL traits that get the luxury of playing w Allen, they are predisposed to succeed

Continuing to draft defensive players w first/second round picks and attempting (sometimes failing) to fit them into your scheme on defense is -ev imo

another first rounder on defense this past offseason would have been suicide

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, margolbe said:

I agree with the spirit of this take. 

There hasn't been nearly enough investment into the offense in the Josh Allen era. 

Gabe Davis at 128th overall is the highest WR the Bills have selected, and the FA WRs here have been middle to low end free agents. Beasley was 30 when he got here and so was Brown. 

Offensive Line has mostly been a patch job with middle round picks and low-tier FAs. 

The most investment has been at RB and TE. 

Problem is with Floyd, Epenesa, Ford, Phillips, DaQuan, Settle, Lawson all headed towards UFA, there will have to be investment there. Now, I hope that Gabe Davis' impending FA forces the Bills hand at WR and they realize they should take one in the top half of Round 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They have Milano’s replacement with Williams, just as they had Edmunds replacement in Bernard.  I think Jones is signed for next year?  

Milano is one of the best in the game and Williams is struggling to hold his spot over a guy who wouldn’t have a spot in an NFL roster if McClappy wasn’t obsessed with ST play, in an era where it’s never meant less.

• Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, margolbe said:

McD looks like he just tolerates offense and thinks defense wins all the games.  He is stuck in an old coaching mentality and hasn't embraced the modern realities of the NFL.  The rules favor offense and we need an offensive minded staff, with a solid enough defense to prevent a collapse.  McD has not shown that he is capable of this.  Others have referred to him as a poor man's Dick Jauron.  He might be closer to a poor man's Chuck Knox.

We have one of the best offenses in the league. Is that McDermott and Beane or by chance? I don’t buy that Josh is the only reason we have an offense by the way. 

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Milano is one of the best in the game and Williams is struggling to hold his spot over a guy who wouldn’t have a spot in an NFL roster if McClappy wasn’t obsessed with ST play, in an era where it’s never meant less.

I’m not going to compare him with Milano ( a great McD pick btw).. but Williams was pick 90 … sometimes it takes guys drafted around the end of the third a year to find their feet … see Bernard …

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.