Sources say ZERO PERCENT chance McD is fired

Brand J

29 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I get what you're saying.  I would choose different wording because this Bills team with a Top-3 QB in the entire league, will not be a rebuild.  They will be in reload mode with some older expensive players getting moved and some new, younger players coming in.  But they should still be a dangerous club with Allen.

I don't disagree that the rebuild doesn't necessarily mean a tear down.   Kansas City looked likely to take a temporary step back last year when Tyreek wanted the massive contract.  If the Chiefs hadn't already banked a title, there's no way they would have traded him.  It was a great move for the long term that happened to also pay dividends in the short term.  That should be the blueprint for Buffalo.

Edited by Billl

37 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Individual decision making has probably cost the Bills decision making this year, rather than an ageing roster. The coaches not organising Special Teams correctly leading to 12 men; if that hadn’t happened the Bills would be 7-5. The abysmal defense in the final series against Mac Jones and the Pats. All they had to do was keep to a simple game plan, as Jones is a dreadful QB. Instead they allowed him to waltz down the field. So make that 8-4.

The abysmal final series against the Eagles is nearly as unforgivable (the near 60 yard FG being down to penalties against the Eagles than brilliant defense), followed by a member of the Philadelphia offense coming out expressing shock at how easy the Bills defense made it in OT in terms of play calling. Better calls and it’s 9-3.

And that’s just this season. That’s despite Josh’s Met Life meltdown, the Jet Lag against the Jags and a weak performance at the Bengals. Play call after play call after play call. And we go back through the horrors of yesteryear if needed.

The issue with the Bills is coaching, and McDermott is learning from mistakes previously made. Instead he’s been hiding behind the likes of Milano, Jones, White and a younger Hyde and Poyer to make great plays. Now they’re injured on ageing the truth is being exposed.

The Bengals game is perfect example of him not learning from mistakes. 3 games in less then a year and 5 first quarter TDs that look simple against his D. No fight at all. Even when Damar got hurt that drive started like all the others. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Sure, it's that easy.  To a fan that is.    

Try looking at it from a business and operational perspective.  If Pegula fires McD that means:

1. Eating 34M+ (I've read McD makes 8.5/per) of salary from a contract extended a few months ago through 2027.  

2. Starting the process to interview HC candidates and hire another guy which TPegs hasn't really excelled at.

3. Paying that new HC market rate in addition to the cost to fire McD.  

4. Probably needing to hire another GM because Beane and McD are a package deal.  So, going through the GM interview process potentially.  And making sure the new GM and HC can work together because that's kind of important for a NFL franchise.  

5. That new leadership will introduce significant changes in the football operation, including new schemes and personnel priorities.  

6. Having all the scouting done in the fall on college and pro prospects needing to be done by the new group.       

7. Oh, and the guy leading this is in his early 70s with an ailing wife who winters in FL while the new stadium is being built that is costing more money than he'd originally expected.  

Yeah, it's easy.  

1. Owners eat contracts all the time. So, nothing new there.

2. Beane would be leading the charge. This thought they are a package deal isn't true. Terry can do whatever he wants. If he wants to keep one of them, he will.

3. Multi-billionare owner who owns a cash cow with the Bills can afford it.

4. See #2

5. Agree. that happens all the time in sports. Nothing new here if a new coach is brought in. Some changes need to be made anyway as their will be a reload, retooling of the roster.

6. Only if Beane is gone. If a new GM is coming in however then they are already up to speed on this stuff. He would just have to apply it to the Bills needs.

7. I wish Kim a full recovery and you know Terry is making sure Kim has the best doctors, nurses, medical staff with her 24-7-365 all the while being a supporting husband.

8. The new stadium may cost him more. So, what. Look at what he bought the Bills for and look at what they worth now and will be in the future. Owning an NFL team = owning a cash cow. Bottom line the Pegula's will be making more money with the Bills going forward.

Not as hard as you think.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

What if Saleh gets fired by the Jets. He was a pretty good DC with SF. Any interest in bringing him to Buffalo if that happens.

Saleh is interesting but he has ties with Rivera who was known as one of the best D Coordinators in the league at the time he got his first HC job

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Saleh is interesting but he has ties with Rivera who was known as one of the best D Coordinators in the league at the time he got his first HC job

Really?  Taking the Jets (blow heart) scraps..  Didn't we do that once before?  How did that work out for us? (Sigh)

I guess folks are going to pick a side on this one and dig in even more..  but considering where the Bills were before McDermott arrived, and more importantly, the expectations that have been built because of the culture McDermott has built, I think he is owed a little bit more then dumping him the one season we didn't meet expectations, which is most likely the result of catastrophic defensive injuries.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

Really?  Taking the Jets (blow heart) scraps..  Didn't we do that once before?  How did that work out for us? (Sigh)

I guess folks are going to pick a side on this one and dig in even more..  but considering where the Bills were before McDermott arrived, and more importantly, the expectations that have been built because of the culture McDermott has built, I think he is owed a little bit more then dumping him the one season we didn't meet expectations, which is most likely the result of catastrophic defensive injuries.

Go Bills

Don't confuse irrational ranters (one of them who is handicapped and lame) with facts.

Bills-Mob.png

I believe McD's job is safe even if we lose the majority of our games left on our schedule and miss the playoffs. I can envision Pegs judging McD based on his overall job performance since he got hired in 2017 and determine McD should be given another chance for the following reasons...

1. McD made the playoffs in 5 of 7 seasons except for Allen's rookie season in 2018 and 2023.

2. Injuries to key players on defense (Milano, White, and Jones) which was a top 2 defense in the league prior to their injuries and nearly last in the league since then. Also, for having a lot of injuries throughout the season.

3. Pegs will blame Dorsey for part of McD's struggles. Pegs will see an offense that improved with Brady since Dorsey got fired.

4. McD struggled because he had too much on his plate by not having a Defensive Coordinator that can help lighten the load so he can focus on being a Head Coach.

Pegs will hire a DC next season, and a Special Teams Coach too.

Having said that, I believe the only ways McD and quite possibly Beane too (since they're a package deal) are no longer on the Bills next season is if one or both accepts a job offer from ''Bandcamp'' aka the Carolina Panthers, or Allen tells Pegs McD gotta go. 

Edited by Trust The Process

12 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

Go Bills

We were talking about defensive coordinator 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Trust The Process said:

I believe McD's job is safe even if we lose the majority of our games left on our schedule and miss the playoffs. I can envision Pegs judging McD based on his overall job performance since he got hired in 2017 and determine McD should be given another chance for the following reasons...

1. McD made the playoffs in 5 of 7 seasons except for Allen's rookie season in 2018 and 2023.

2. Injuries to key players on defense (Milano, White, and Jones) which was a top 2 defense in the league prior to their injuries and nearly last in the league since then. Also, for having a lot of injuries throughout the season.

3. Pegs will blame Dorsey for part of McD's struggles. Pegs will see an offense that improved with Brady since Dorsey got fired.

4. McD struggled because he had too much on his plate by not having a Defensive Coordinator that can help lighten the load so he can focus on being a Head Coach.

Pegs will hire a DC next season, and a Special Teams Coach too.

Having said that, I believe the only way McD and quite possibly Beane too are no longer on the Bills next season is if one or both accepts a job offer from ''Bandcamp'' aka the Carolina Panthers.

Let me start by saying I fully expect him to be back. He ain't going anywhere I agree. But just to put a spin on what you said because a message board is a place for debate...

1. I'll agree that's a good point. But twice we've been bounced by the QB Pegula allegedly wanted (Mahomes) and McDermott talked him out of and another we laid an egg at home. Both those facts have to burn.

2. This to me is even more reason he should be fired. No, he cannot control injuries. However, 2 of those 3 major injuries were replaced. Lost Jones, got Joseph. Lost Tre, got Rasul. Now, granted All-Pro LBers aren't grown on trees. But when you hire a coach that specializes in one side on the ball, you should count on him being able to do more with less. He hasn't.  And even with what he does have there is still more talent on this defense than on many others that play better. I feel he's actually UNDERACHIEVING with what's left.

3 & 4. I tie these two together. Both Dorsey being on the Bills, being promoted to OC and McDermott taking over at DC are choices that Sean made and/or signed off on. Neither worked. And those 2 choices basically cost the Bills games this year. And those games will ultimately cost the season in all likelihood. This after 3 years of regression. 

Those are all VALID reasons that the fans want him gone. We can see the writing on the wall. I've noticed that when it comes to HCs fans usually have the right view point about a season earlier than the owners. 

For Pegula, there's more than just "Bye Sean". A choice to fire him basically fires about 50 other people. Coaches, trainers, scouts. And that does, I'm sure play into it for a guy like Terry. He'll bring Sean back feeling he and his people deserve the right to get it right because they did it in 2017. And we will likely be in the market for a new coaching staff next season.

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

McDermott richly deserves to be fired but, for all the reasons you’ve cited, it would just be too heavy of a lift for this organization right now.  I do think that could change if the last five weeks of the season turn out to be a disaster…by the way, I think it would be possible for Beane to effectively fire McDermott, simply by recommending to Terry that they get a new coach.  That would short-circuit some of the issues you've identified.  

If Beane went along with McD drafting and signing all those defensive players as the offense was under-resourced, I'm real hesitant to believe that he'd stab the guy in the back who advocated him for GM.  Beane can demonstrate l a used car salesman persona, but I'm not seeing it to that degree.  Besides, it'd get around in league circles and make life hard for a guy in his mid to late 40s to find subsequent employment.  

39 minutes ago, Gregg said:

1. Owners eat contracts all the time. So, nothing new there.

2. Beane would be leading the charge. This thought they are a package deal isn't true. Terry can do whatever he wants. If he wants to keep one of them, he will.

3. Multi-billionare owner who owns a cash cow with the Bills can afford it.

4. See #2

5. Agree. that happens all the time in sports. Nothing new here if a new coach is brought in. Some changes need to be made anyway as their will be a reload, retooling of the roster.

6. Only if Beane is gone. If a new GM is coming in however then they are already up to speed on this stuff. He would just have to apply it to the Bills needs.

7. I wish Kim a full recovery and you know Terry is making sure Kim has the best doctors, nurses, medical staff with her 24-7-365 all the while being a supporting husband.

8. The new stadium may cost him more. So, what. Look at what he bought the Bills for and look at what they worth now and will be in the future. Owning an NFL team = owning a cash cow. Bottom line the Pegula's will be making more money with the Bills going forward.

Not as hard as you think.

I can see you've thought this through for all of about 5 seconds.  And whiffed tremendously.  

• Eyeroll 1

Once again, if Allen had gotten here first, i.e. before McD, McD never would have even made the short list for contention.  

McD got here first.  Lest we forget, there was a whole lot of sentiment against him at the end of 2019.  

In 2020 Allen blossomed, clearly having nothing to do with McD since McD admittedly knows nothing about how to correct our offense at the simplest of levels, and McD got the credit and therefore the boost.  

The rest as they say is history.  

What happpens in the future is anyone's guess.  But we're the unlikeliest of teams to ever win a Super Bowl with McD here.  

Again, which team in the AFC has a better offense than we do?  ... so why is it that we're 6-6 instead of 10-2 or 11-1?  

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Once again, if Allen had gotten here first, i.e. before McD, McD never would have even made the short list for contention.  

McD got here first.  Lest we forget, there was a whole lot of sentiment against him at the end of 2019.  

In 2020 Allen blossomed, clearly having nothing to do with McD since McD admittedly knows nothing about how to correct our offense at the simplest of levels, and McD got the credit and therefore the boost.  

The rest as they say is history.  

What happpens in the future is anyone's guess.  But we're the unlikeliest of teams to ever win a Super Bowl with McD here.  

Again, which team in the AFC has a better offense than we do?  ... so why is it that we're 6-6 instead of 10-2 or 11-1?  

Because the offense sucked for 3 weeks and the QB leads the league in turnovers.

2 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I remember those drought years when we fired coach, after coach. We finally get a good one now we want to run him out of town lol. I’m really amazed how Mike Tomlin kept his job for so long lol. 

He does have a Super Bowl championship on his resume. That buys you a lot of time with ownership. Plus, the Steelers have been very competitive with Tomlin as the HC. Kind of amazing when you think of the Steelers coaching success. Chuck Noll 1969-1991. Bill Cowher 1992-2006, Mike Tomlin 2007 to the present day. Only three coaches since 1969. Of course, 6 Super Bowl wins and 8 Super Bowl appearances along with mostly winning seasons makes the Rooney family very happy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.