AFC Standings, schedules, & Rooting Interests FINAL 1/7/24 BILLS 2 Seed!

Donuts and Doritos

22 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What's wrong about it? There is also a Jacksonville scenario, but I didn't have room in the tweet to include it. Everything in the tweet is correct, although it is not the ONLY clinching scenario

We don’t need all of that to happen. The tweet included way too many.

We only need Denver loss (hopefully tonight), Cinci loss, Pitt loss.

The tweet made it way more convuluted and difficult. 

@mrags

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I am firmly in the camp that if we don’t win these last two games, we don’t deserve the playoffs.

There is no excuse to being swept by a 3-11 Patriots team, and I don’t think the Dolphins are good.

And the other teams? They have no bad losses in their 8-7 records? They deserve to get in?

I think you ought to send an email to the NFL and propose a rule change, in which after a 17 game season a message board user with a very ironic user name decides what teams deserve to be in the playoffs. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

@mrags

I think it’s helpfull that it pointed out what we needed specifically for each seed. I want more than just making it into the playoffs. I want the division. I want a home game. Hell, I want 2 or more home games. 

maybe that tweet is incorrect regarding what needs to happen for each seeding. Or maybe it’s not. I haven’t done the leg work. I’m not about to play around with the playoff calculator here and over again all day for different scenarios. I’m not about to figure out the who’s who and what needs to happen with all the tie breakers like conference wins and strength of schedule. I like the way this tweet had everything broken down. 

If you are saying it’s wrong be use we don’t need all that to be in the playoffs then we’re having different arguments. If what they said is incorrect, then I’d like to see a specific breakdown of what exactly is needed for each seed that has been fact checked. But I’m not spending my time to figure it out. 

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

@mrags

You're right! With Cleveland at #5, if you then you concede that two teams will come out of the AFC South at 10-7 (one division winner, one WC) and a third will be 9-8 at best (which is guaranteed because of IND-HOU matchup), that means there is one WC left for BUF/DEN/PIT/CIN.

And as I said long ago, all this talk about tiebreakers will be moot and 10-7 will make it because it does 99% of the time.

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think it’s helpfull that it pointed out what we needed specifically for each seed. I want more than just making it into the playoffs. I want the division. I want a home game. Hell, I want 2 or more home games. 

maybe that tweet is incorrect regarding what needs to happen for each seeding. Or maybe it’s not. I haven’t done the leg work. I’m not about to play around with the playoff calculator here and over again all day for different scenarios. I’m not about to figure out the who’s who and what needs to happen with all the tie breakers like conference wins and strength of schedule. I like the way this tweet had everything broken down. 

If you are saying it’s wrong be use we don’t need all that to be in the playoffs then we’re having different arguments. If what they said is incorrect, then I’d like to see a specific breakdown of what exactly is needed for each seed that has been fact checked. But I’m not spending my time to figure it out. 

The seeding stuff was correct. The only thing that was incorrect was the playoff clinching at the end, because it's actually easier than the tweet suggested. There will be a be a new tweet.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You're right! With Cleveland at #5, if you then you concede that two teams will come out of the AFC South at 10-7 (one division winner, one WC) and a third will be 9-8 at best (which is guaranteed because of IND-HOU matchup), that means there is one WC left for BUF/DEN/PIT/CIN.

And as I said long ago, all this talk about tiebreakers will be moot and 10-7 will make it because it does 99% of the time.

I have a feeling that we somehow play in houston

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

I have a feeling that we somehow play in houston

That would be a gift. 

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

pats up 9 and dominate on defense. Outside of the Dolphins winning this day couldn’t be any better if the Pats hold on 

Let’s hope for a Chiefs loss tomorrow 

If the Pats/Broncos result holds (which seems likely now), we clinch a playoff spot next week with just these 3 probable results:

1) We beat the Pats

2) Chiefs beat the Bengals

3) Seahawks beat the Steelers

2 or 3 can be replaced with the Jaguars losing to the Panthers (not likely) or the Colts and Texans both losing to the Raiders and Titans respectively (also not likely).

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If the Pats/Broncos result holds (which seems likely now), we clinch a playoff spot next week with just these 3 probable results:

1) We beat the Pats

2 or 3 can be replaced with the Jaguars losing to the Panthers (not likely) or the Colts and Texans both losing to the Raiders and Titans respectively (also not likely).

"Somewhat probable"

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

1) We beat the Pats

Lawrence injured his shoulder and has a high ankle sprain coming off of a concussion. There is a strong possibility they sit him next week. No guarantee but Beatherd starting vs Carolina gives them a shot

• Like (+1) 1

NYT playoff machine has us at 95% likely to make the playoffs at 10-7 after inputting a Broncos loss tonight.

6 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

"Somewhat probable"

It really is crazy how it worked out. Every potential wildcard team that we wanted to lose this weekend has in fact lost.

Dolphins spoiled a perfect weekend, but I'll be honest this year more than ever I don't care about seeding now that the #1 seed is out of reach. #7 or #2 seed, makes no difference to me. Every team in the AFC playoffs is going to be pretty closely matched. It's going to be a difficult set of games no matter what sequence of teams we get.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

If BUF wins next week they have 10 wins. To clinch they need a scenario where only one other team can get to 10 wins in a WC spot other than them, and Cleveland.

PIT  CIN, HOU, IND, JAX, and DEN all  have 7 loses as of Sunday evening before NE/DEN finishes.

IND/HOU play each other so only 1 can get to 10 W they could mean DIV W if JAX L next week and both W.

To get in with a W next week they need

1. L by PIT, CIN, DEN

— all 3 would have 8 loses and only one of IND/HOU can get to 10 in 2nd place. WCs would be BUF/ MIA, CLE/BAL, and another team 

Or

2. L by 2 of CIN/DEN/PIT and JAX L

— JAX L then if both HOU and IND W  then week 18 becomes a div winner game. 2nd place will be under 10 wins.  IND beat HOU earlier in the season.JAX swept IND and split HOU. 
3. IF 2 of 3 south teams lose, then 2nd place can’t get to 10 wins. BUF still needs L by 3 of PIT, CIN, DEN.

The same logic applies to week 18 f BUF L where they W and these L occur assuring that others can’t get yo 10 wins.

On other races…

MIA W next week they clinch division and control the #1 seed.

the only way KC does not win the division is by losing tomorrow and against the chargers and denver wins their 2 div games left against chargers and vegas giving den better div record if tied.

on NFC

with DAL L, if PHL goes 2-1  and  DAL is 2-0 thus tied then DAL has tiebreaker edge.

CHI can get in by WW GB-MIN T, MIN L week 18, and other divisions 2nd place teams are 8-9 snd ten get in as 6th seed by better conf record then another 8-9 in.  If GB-MIN doesn’t tie then they  need MIN WW and be seed 6 then they get 7 seed.  They L tiebreaker to min and go at 8-9 for 2nd place by common game record.

with many other tiebreaks it comes to H2H between GB, MIN, NO, ATL, SEA, LAR or conf record in 3 team ties.

Rams sweep SEA

Rams beat saints

green bay beat rams 

saints loss GB, min, tb and atl , rams. Beat chi

atl beat no tb , split tb 

tb beat min, gb, no, chi, 

min beat  gb, atl, no, split chi 

gb beat no, rams, chi, lost go to, min, atl , tb

chi split min, lost to gb

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

1) We beat the Pats

If those likely 3 items happen and we clinch next week, AND Miami manages to beat the Ravens next week (forgive me for the juju), it would seem we would have little to play for in Miami outside of some slight advantage in seeding, is that correct?   Is it conceivable we would rest starters and essentially let Miami have the one seed?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.