Mt Rushmore of McDermott Victories

uticaclub

Looking back on what we believe to be his biggest wins.. It dawns on me that McDermott is kinda who he is, and has always been..

We have some great regular season wins, like Chiefs x2, but then it hasn't translated in the Playoffs.

We've had some really fantastic defensive performances against high powered gimmicky offenses (Ravens, Dolphins) but struggle against more traditional elite passing games.   I will say that the defensive performance against Lamar in that playoff game was special. 

We have playoff wins over teams we were flat out better than.. but even in the Colts game, it took Allen being Allen to win when our defense fell flat on it's face in the second half.  

Nothing's really changed over the years.  We have the same type of wins and the same type of losses.  And each year we come up short in the margins because the teams we are competing with have the coaching advantage.  Same as '20, same as '21, same as '22...

If I had to pick my biggest McD wins... it's two gimmick offenses he shut down (Ravens playoffs and Dolphins this year) along with two regular season wins at Arrowhead.  

He is who he is.  And who he is, is who he's always been.   Why do we expect this to change?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

NE at home after the Damar game.

Credit McD for keeping the team focused.

Hines 2 KO return(s) put a lump in my throat.

The fix was in for that game; I never saw 10 guys not get called for holding on the first TD. Glad it was in our favor

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Think the fact he's still been battling skin cancer throughout is a much bigger victory.  Along with trashing my critiques of him. It's a rough year sure but we shouldn't be riding him as we don't know.  

My girlfriend and her dad get skin cancer often; it's scary because of “cancer” but the procedure is quicker than most dentist visits.

11 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

Mt. Rushmore should be reserved for Super Bowl victories, or at the very least, Conference Championship victories. Anything else should just be a plaque in the park.

There was a threat about a Mt Rushnkre for our tragic losses under McDermott, so I wanted to highlight some memorable wins.

47 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Looking back on what we believe to be his biggest wins.. It dawns on me that McDermott is kinda who he is, and has always been..

We have some great regular season wins, like Chiefs x2, but then it hasn't translated in the Playoffs.

We've had some really fantastic defensive performances against high powered gimmicky offenses (Ravens, Dolphins) but struggle against more traditional elite passing games.   I will say that the defensive performance against Lamar in that playoff game was special. 

We have playoff wins over teams we were flat out better than.. but even in the Colts game, it took Allen being Allen to win when our defense fell flat on it's face in the second half.  

Nothing's really changed over the years.  We have the same type of wins and the same type of losses.  And each year we come up short in the margins because the teams we are competing with have the coaching advantage.  Same as '20, same as '21, same as '22...

If I had to pick my biggest McD wins... it's two gimmick offenses he shut down (Ravens playoffs and Dolphins this year) along with two regular season wins at Arrowhead.  

He is who he is.  And who he is, is who he's always been.   Why do we expect this to change?

McDermott keeps telling us who he is. More and more fans are finally starting to believe him. 

13 hours ago, uticaclub said:

McDermott has run his course, and unless we make a Super Bowl run, his time here is over. But I wanted to remember our good times in the last few years, so let’s talk about some critical victories since we won’t see anymore in his tenure.

1) Cowboys Thanksgiving game (We arrived)

2) Perfect game vs Patriots WC (Dominating Belichick in a playoff game)

3) Indy playoff game (first playoff victory in forever)

4)Clinching the Division against Denver (the division was finally ours

@Steelers on SNF, where we used Renagade against them to clinch a playoff spot, deserves an honorable mention.

Here’s his Rushmore since thenEF3D45A4-9D5E-448E-BB69-64EB1964F512.jpeg.b37b7d94f1af0cf4db8d4418a7565f8a.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, IronyAbounds said:

Mt. Rushmore should be reserved for Super Bowl victories, or at the very least, Conference Championship victories. Anything else should just be a plaque in the park.

I think OP is looking to highlight the biggest wins under McD as a positive.... but when you see the list and struggle to get much past four and some of them are not even playoff games and you realize what is on the flip side of the Losses version of this list, it further crystalizes the limitations of this coach

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, uticaclub said:

McDermott has run his course, and unless we make a Super Bowl run, his time here is over. But I wanted to remember our good times in the last few years, so let’s talk about some critical victories since we won’t see anymore in his tenure.

1) Cowboys Thanksgiving game (We arrived)

2) Perfect game vs Patriots WC (Dominating Belichick in a playoff game)

3) Indy playoff game (first playoff victory in forever)

4)Clinching the Division against Denver (the division was finally ours

@Steelers on SNF, where we used Renagade against them to clinch a playoff spot, deserves an honorable mention.

And in all those games who shined the brightest among the players?  As I recall Allen was formidable in those games.

11 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this is a list of "big" wins in mediocre moments.  Nothing was "on the line" in most of these games, and divisional playoff win against the depleted Pats, really?  The Colts game we nearly gave away before Rivers made mistakes.  

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And in all those games who shined the brightest among the players?  As I recall Allen was formidable in those games.

I had hoped to start my day on a positive note, but instead, I unintentionally ended up pointing out that McDermott has not significantly outcoached anyone in the past seven years. Even when attempting to highlight his successes, it seems to be overshadowed by the fact that Allen played exceptionally well in that game.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

What about a Mt. Rushmore of losses?

there is already a thread as he pointed out. and the point of these threads is that they are the worst losses or wins under mcdermott where his coaching and his decisions ultimately played a factor in the results.

my contribution:

1) ravens game where we refused to score giving us time to burn the clock

2) @atlanta win

3) dallas thanksgiving win - mcdermott defense was stout

4) miami win to get us to the playoffs.

a lot of our amazing wins were due to amazing talent on our team more so than mcdermott

5 hours ago, billybob71 said:

I feel like this thread could be renamed Daboll's Mt Rushmore of victories tho

that'd be interesting

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.