When did The Curse begin?

Simon

The curse began with the Shout song in 1987 and was strengthened when Wade Phillips was fired.  The football gods dislike the train horn but dislike the Shout song even more.  The football gods say "why can't Buffalo have a cool entry like Philadelphia does with Rocky?" 

The curse can only be broken via a combination of 2 of the following 3 methods:

1.  The Shout song is never played again.  Ever.  

1.  Wade Phillips leading the charge to a stadium of applause.

2.  Doug Flutie & Rob Johnson together leading the charge to a stadium of applause.

Until this occurs, the curse remains alive.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm not debating whether or not a curse exists; the inexplicable number of bizarre incidents this team (and to a lesser extent, the Sabres) has dealt with over the decades is undeniable.

My question is when exactly did this all start?

Which curse? I feel like there's more than one now.  There was a curse before McDermott came of two decades of abysmal mediocrity and irrelevance.  He broke that curse but then blessed us with a new and different curse where we severely underachieve, lose close games,  are stunted and hampered by poor decision making, situational awareness, and strategy.  

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm not debating whether or not a curse exists; the inexplicable number of bizarre incidents this team (and to a lesser extent, the Sabres) has dealt with over the decades is undeniable.

when my friend watches games live versus delayed on NFL plus

When they built the new stadium in OP on the Indian burial ground and the workers probably took the Indian bones chucked them in the trash. I'm assuming the last part, but I don't think it is a stretch to assume that union construction workers in late 60's early 70's in the Buffalo area were into preserving native artifacts. 

Someone should get an Indian shaman to go down to the new site soon and perform some sort of  ritual to prevent a curse. I am only somewhat joking on this. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The curse began when they named a team in the City of Buffalo after this guy ...

How did Buffalo Bill get his nickname?

Cody was given the name Buffalo Bill for his talent in slaughtering buffalo. At first, Cody hunted buffalo for food. Buffalo were plentiful around the country, and hunting them was a popular sport, but Cody was obscenely prolific in killing—claiming to have shot dead 4,280 buffalo in just 18 months.

Well…….that might do it…… 

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Depends a bit on how you define curse. 

I will define it as last minute losses of key games you were leading and should have easily won. 

So pretty clear that the beginning was wide right. 
Then in the crease. 
Them Bledsoe give it to them game
Homerun throwback 

2000-2020 highlighted by Dallas and NE losses 

Then 13 sec

Then hail murray

Then Vikings loss

Then 12 men

The Staley Swindle:

We need to go back to the AFL. 

47 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The curse began when they named a team in the City of Buffalo after this guy ...

How did Buffalo Bill get his nickname?

Cody was given the name Buffalo Bill for his talent in slaughtering buffalo. At first, Cody hunted buffalo for food. Buffalo were plentiful around the country, and hunting them was a popular sport, but Cody was obscenely prolific in killing—claiming to have shot dead 4,280 buffalo in just 18 months.

No.

Bills won championships before. 1964 & 1965.  It was when they went to SB era the curse started again... Dating back to the 1921 NFL championship. 

IMHO, it began when they hosted KC in AFL championship game before the first Super Bowl and lost.. Leading up to it , Lots thought we were going.. at home ,  very good team.. On the opening kickoff , Dudley Meredith, a huge D lineman , on special teams  (on a short kick-off) ,fumbled the ball.. Then all went south.. the game.. seems like history repeats  itself regarding the Bills , one way or the other..since

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsfaninCT said:

There's 2.

1 - when they started construction on Rich Stadium August 17, 1973

2 - when they started Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie in "that game"

It's been 50 years since the construction.  You'd think the statute of limitations on Indian burial grounds curses would expire by now. I'm starting to believe the "shout" theories.

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

September 1993. X-Files "Pilot" featuring a short appearance by the Cigarette Smoking Man. 

Few months later, Superbowl 3rd quarter, Bills up 13-6, Thurman fumbles which Cowboys return for a TD and the Bills eventually lose.....

Dude that was after 20 straight losses to Miami and Wide Right...the curse was underway long before then! 

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Season 2 Episode 3 GIF by The Simpsons

:lol: :lol::lol: These are the kinda posts that keep me coming back to this messageboard 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Simon said:

Just so many crazy things happen in some of these losses,  13 secs, Jefferson catch, 59 FG in the rain.  Being a fan of the Bills has not been good for my mental health or sleep after games. Just seems like we have never been on the other side when we make the amazing comeback with McDermott as HC.  That final pass should have been talked about in the huddle.  If the they blitz and middle is open than go inside to the post ,  leaving it an option is a mistake and accident waiting to happen.

11 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

September 1993. X-Files "Pilot" featuring a short appearance by the Cigarette Smoking Man. 

Few months later, Superbowl 3rd quarter, Bills up 13-6, Thurman fumbles which Cowboys return for a TD and the Bills eventually lose.....

That was two years after Norwood missed a FG in the Bills first SB.

So many bad choices.  Trading Lamonica instead of playing him over Kemp.  Screwing up Cookie Gilchrist's time with the team.  Wasting that great mid-60s defense.  Trading Haven Moses to Denver for a WR who couldn't play WR (became a decent DB instead).  Ralph letting his accountant determine which FAs to pursue.  Rauch deciding Ron McDole was finished, and letting him go to the Redskins where he played great ball for years.  Not paying Gogolak and letting him go to the NFL. The Bills blowing the first SB by partying all week instead of preparing to play hard.  

It's not a curse when it's your own damn fault.

But if there is a curse, it's the Flutie/Johnson fiasco that locked it in.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.