Bills took the best team in the NFL to OT…

appoo

1 hour ago, appoo said:

While having a huge chunk of their salary cap on IR or basically washed 

whole fighting the refs in a horrifically officiated game 

while at a decided talent disadvantage on both sides of the ball 

on the road 

and y’all want to fire the head coach who’s has had nothing but 10+ win seasons for like 4 years in a row now?

It took the Eagles kicking a SIXTY YARD FG IN THE RAIN to get to OT. The Eagles had a better DVOA than the Bills.

There was no reasonable analysis that had the Bills winning this football game before the snap. 

Literally demanding the HC be fired for EXCEEDING expectations 

Nah this ain’t it 

We’re going to miss the playoffs with an elite QB…how in the world is that exceeding expectations??

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, appoo said:

What would you expect differently out of a different coach with this specific roster and injury situation?

This team despite the injuries on defense took the Eagles to the limit on the road, so Yes.   Yesterday on its own, would be forgivable, but bad coaching has reared its ugly head in many games this year.   If the team simply lines 11 on the field in the Denver game and stop Mac Jones on a TD drive, they are 8-4, talking about fighting for the top seed and this loss is not as big of a deal. 

There are at least seven games over the past three years off the top of my head that I can think of where Josh Allen drove the team near the end of the game, with under two minutes(even after bad days in some cases) to the lead, only to result in a loss because of bad decisions.   Holding on to a lead after a two minute drive touchdown is an exception instead of expected, that is not normal.  McDermott is not just below average in that, the ratio of failure on that is an off the chart outlier that is inept on a record level.  That comes down to bad coaching and in game decisions. 

Edited by dgrochester55

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Reality is that pretty much every other coach in the NFL has the Bills pretty much where they are, maybe 1-2 wins more. The majority of coaches would have a sub 500 record with this roster 

No real NFL coach is having a sub .500 record with this roster after our soft portion of the schedule.  You are crazy or drunk.  I'm not talking about Nate Hackett.

9 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

This team despite the injuries on defense took the Eagles to the limit on the road, so Yes.   Yesterday on its own, would be forgivable, but bad coaching has reared its ugly head in many games this year.   If the team simply lines 11 on the field in the Denver game and stop Mac Jones on a TD drive, they are 8-4, talking about fighting for the top seed and this loss is not as big of a deal. 

There are at least seven games over the past three years off the top of my head that I can think of where Josh Allen drove the team near the end of the game, with under two minutes(even after bad days in some cases) to the lead, only to result in a loss because of bad decisions.   Holding on to a lead after a two minute drive touchdown is an exception instead of expected, that is not normal.  That comes down to bad coaching and in game decisions. 

It often seems like the McDermott coached Bills taking a lead into the final two minutes is playing the 80s era Denver Broncos, quarterbacked by Elway.

Boooo to this thread

Yesterday is just a little tiny toothpick on the back of a camel with many large burdens from years of McD piling on big losses.

Again offense "wins the game" several time only to have Sean's decision making blow it. This is the theme of his tenure here to date.

Great at taking our pathetic franchise into relevance, now it's time for someone else to take us from relevant to champions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

There are at least seven games over the past three years off the top of my head that I can think of where Josh Allen drove the team near the end of the game, with under two minutes(even after bad days in some cases) to the lead, only to result in a loss because of bad decisions.   Holding on to a lead after a two minute drive touchdown is an exception instead of expected, that is not normal.  That comes down to bad coaching and in game decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

It often seems like the McDermott coached Bills taking a lead into the final two minutes is playing the 80s era Denver Broncos, quarterbacked by Elway.

It's at a point where I want to turn the channel after a Josh Allen drive for the lead with under two minutes.    Yesterday, I looked at every one in the room with no excitement after Allen took the lead late in the 4th and just said "I know what happens from here". 

It should not have to be that way.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, appoo said:

with what talent on defense should the Bills be doing this? You’re essentially blaming McDermott for being good enough to get this duct defense to play well enough to keep the bills in games.

Dodson was spying Hurts. DODSON. That is the level of injuries and roster McDermott was handed. 

Against a top 3 offense in the NFL.

Yeah, you know what I say to that?

McDermott called two timeouts and then kneeled on the ball with 20 seconds left in regulation because he trusted his defense -- with Dodson -- DODSON -- spying Hurts --  to make a stop in OT more than he trusted Josh to make a play.

I want a HC who's willing to let his elite QB do elite QB things at the end of football games. And by the "end" of football games, I also mean trusting him enough to wind the clock down as far as possible before punching the ball into the end zone.  Leaving the Eagles 1:54 to score a FG yesterday -- when you actually had room to gain the first down before scoring -- was idiotic.  Compounding the idiocy by kneeling on the time they left you.... unforgivable.

Edited by BRH
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

The only two wins that I can think of were the Giants and Bucs this year and that took a PI non call and a missed hail mary that was a foot away from being caught.  There never seems to be a three and out, shut the opposing drive down before it starts, victory formation, game over scenario.

That's not the best team in the NFL.  They may have the best record but they have been Houdini and escaped a lot of losses this year, many times through sheer luck.  That's the way it goes sometimes tho.  Better to be lucky than good is a saying for a reason.

Usually(but not always) teams that have this kind of luck during the regular season see their luck run out in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

The only two wins that I can think of were the Giants and Bucs this year and that took a PI non call and a missed hail mary that was a foot away from being caught.  There never seems to be a three and out, shut the opposing drive down before it starts, victory formation, game over scenario.

It's nice remembering what that was like watching the Ravens D do that to the Chargers twice last night.

I mean even during the drought years we had a bunch of games where that happened.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Holding on to a lead after a two minute drive touchdown is an exception instead of expected, that is not normal.  McDermott is not just below average in that, the ratio of failure on that is an off the chart outlier that is inept on a record level.  That comes down to bad coaching and in game decisions. 

There has to be a stat on that somewhere.  What's McDermott's winning percentage when leading by less than one score or tied when the other team has the ball in the last two minutes of regulation?  I will bet anything it's one of the worst in the league.  Prove me wrong.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's nice remembering what that was like watching the Ravens D do that to the Chargers twice last night.

I mean even during the drought years we had a bunch of games where that happened.

McDermott may have been better at building a team than the drought era coaches, but his game management is worse than anyone besides maybe Jauron.

I truly think that you hand this roster to Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan or Chan Gailey before the season starts that each of them bring this team to eight or nine wins at this point of the season.   The game management on the two minute drill is off the charts record level poor under McDermott. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.