Why don't we know how to win?

Mikie2times

3 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Why do these comments always bring out the crazies that want to compare every little tiny minute detail of the comparisoneés games.

One day, probably in like 4 years of not winning the Super Bowl, you’ll see.

Allen, for whatever reason…. is drowning in bad beats. There’s no way he’s accepting them in a vacuum. Rivers’s teams suffered stupid loses. Allen’s teams suffer stupid loses. That’s the extent of that comparison. Not arm strength and foot speed. 

As a chronic Allen negative poster ( I have been very hard on the guy but I rock his shirt every Sunday and he was amazing today ). I think we just depend on him too much. He will have a big turnover a lot of games and that’s part of this, certainly not all of it. I mean with that he’s the only reason we are in these situations. Incredibly gutsy performance today by Josh. Proud to have him as our QB and this issue certainly isn’t just him. It could have some relationship to how we use him and how we are built sure.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Very interesting point. We’re stocked with potential winners with great intangibles. Other teams just have outright winners. 

I’ve said this for years and  gotten eye rolls. Joe Burrow won in Highschool and in college. Josh Allen hasn’t won at any level. These things matter.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Most of these losses .  ( Tampa Bay and  13 seconds aside) … the Bills have had a two score lead and couldn’t hold on …

So what's the theme here. Since 2019 our 4th quarter defense is absolutely embarrassing.  Our HC is defensive. We've drafted 60% defense. Connect the F-ing dots.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

As a chronic Allen negative poster ( I have been very hard on the guy but I rock his shirt every Sunday and he was amazing today ). I think we just depend on him too much. He will have a big turnover a lot of games and that’s part of this, certainly not all of it. I mean with that he’s the only reason we are in these situations. Incredibly gutsy performance today by Josh. Proud to have him as our QB and this issue certainly isn’t just him. It could have some relationship to how we use him and how we are built sure.

There have been too many posters who have criticized Josh but defend McDermott with their life.  Maybe after this season common sense will win out.

14 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I’ve said this for years and  gotten eye rolls. Joe Burrow won in Highschool and in college. Josh Allen hasn’t won at any level. These things matter.

You lost me on Allen. 

It’s those around him that are the problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

You heard the announcers discussing how the Eagles "just know how to win". We have seen teams like the Chargers most recently that are the complete opposite. We are now 7-14 in game decided by 7 points or less since 2021.  Against good teams we will be in a lot of these games. Hell, nobody even sniffed a Super Bowl unless that record was flip flopped. 

A lot of people here blame McD and yes, he owns a lot of this, but it seems like how it happens runs deeper than just one area. Is it the sometimes untimely turnovers? Is it the defensive scheme itself? Then addition the poor clock management overlaid on top of it. I get it, winners just win. But what is it in our recipe that doesn't make us "winners"?  At a bit of a loss as I'm sure many of you're. 

Here are just some of the games that we have either blown or nearly blown in very improbable fashion.  We have won some close games as well, but as the record shows, few and far between. 

• Houston Playoff Wild Card 2019

Bills are outscored 22-3 to finish the game and lose in OT

• Indianapolis Playoff Wild Card 2020

Bills are outscored 14-3 in the final twelve minutes. Colts fizzle out on the final drive. Bills hold on.

• New England Week 8, 2020

Cam Newton fumbles on the Bills 19 yard line with 37 seconds left preserving the win

• Arizona Week 10, 2020

Hail Murray

• Tennessee Week 6, 2021

Bills are outscored 17-7 to end the game. Bills stopped on 4th and 1 at Tennessee 3 yard line.

• Tampa Bay Week 14 2021

Bills come roaring back with a chance to win on the last drive, instead it goes to OT. Bills lose in OT

• Kansas City Divisions Championship 2021

13 seconds

• Minnesota Week 19 2022

Epic implosion fresh on our minds

• NY Jets Week 1 2023

Jets outscore Bills 16-3 in the 4th quarter and OT, Bills lose

• NY Giants Week 6 2023

Bills avert complete disaster with a likely no call on the final play

• Denver Week 10 2023

Bills do everything to gift wrap the game, fold at the end.

• Philadelphia Week 12 2023

You just saw it

All these losses come down to discipline and details. This is what separates great coaches from the rest of the pack.

McDermott does an awful lot that I've liked, such as embracing analytics and fostering a strong bond within the locker room, but his tenure has run its course. He's at his ceiling and is far too responsible for how often the team has come up small in big moments.

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

All night tonight Romo was talking about “championship pedigree.” Winning is a learned trait. I’ve said for years that we lose these close games because our guys are not winners.

I don't believe anything from HS or college makes a difference in the pros at all

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

50 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I’m getting cozy with the comfort that Allen is just Phillip Rivers. Try it, it makes more sense. 

His turnovers is a MAJOR problem. Sure, throw three picks when it’s a shootout and the Bills can win the game 38-35. But yeah, that never happens either huh. Another 4th guarded INT on the wrong side of the 50 in a close game. Philly turned it into 7, easily. Allen is a dimwit. 

Is that you deflecting blame again Sean?

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

All night tonight Romo was talking about “championship pedigree.” Winning is a learned trait. I’ve said for years that we lose these close games because our guys are not winners.

I think winning at all levels allows you to be more calm in clutch moments. How couldn’t it? Just as that behavior is reinforced so is the opposite. Just like Bills fans constantly feel doom coming. How can’t that have creeped into this team at least a little? How can’t the offense feel pressure with how the defense has closed games? If an element to learning how to win exists I think it’s rooted in this but certainly a very complicated subject to how players arrive at these places. When it starts. How does it turn around. Etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

That’s so overrated.

so Josh didn’t “win” at arrowhead when he had the game winning drive only for his head coach to piss away 13 seconds while never touching the ball again?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Knowing how to win is just a cliche being trotted out by NFL announcers with air time to fill. Pretty much meaningless. The bottom line is this : Most NFL games are close. The Bills lose them because their HC is consistently too conservative in crunch time. It’s not about him knowing how to win- it’s about him being too afraid to try. So he makes choices that he thinks won’t lose in the moment. The problem is, it eventually gives the opponent a better chance to defeat you. In the close ones, they usually do. His record speaks for itself. 

The most accurate post ever 

1 hour ago, Kaenon said:

Answer me this...

What is McDermott's head coaching record in OT?

1-6

I blame the refs on 4 losses.

2019 @ Houston (fair catch game)

2021 @ Tampa (where do I start)

2023 @ NYJets (no tripping call)

2023 @ Philly (game won on fumble)

What an unlucky bastard!

I guess coin toss in KC 2021 is also unlucky.

• Sad 2

SnowBowl vs. Indy his one win.

Wrap brain around this:

"The Bills are the 40th team since 1970 merger to have 500 yards, 10 third down conversions, and a positive turnover margin in a game. They are the first team to lose in that scenario. Teams were 39-0 entering today."

What more do you want? Players and coach to walk on water?

The game was won by the Bills on the catch/fumble.  

Given the metrics, the loss by Bills points to external forces that altered the game. It makes me sick the League is this badly broken. 

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

mentally weak team  with a defense that plays scared at end of games. Eagles easily moved down the field in OT. 13 second game ruined this team. Can't close out games

13 seconds ruined McDermott, or exposed what he'll always be.  I'm baffled at this staffs continued approach of playing not to lose.  They have no killer instinct.  The OT record and history of coming up small in one score games has to be topic of concern moving forward if you're the owner right?  If we've been seeing it for years, they can't continue to bury their head in the sand.  This team peaked 3 years ago, a change in philosophy is needed to save the teams window with Allen.  I've never seen a team in one season be so close to having one of the top records, or one of the worst, based on less than 10 plays.  With the Bills mostly being on the negative side. This team constantly finds new ways to come up small, ironically in similar fashion year to year, week to week.  We all know what problem is. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.