Officials Blowing Their Whistles in the Middle of Play

Warriorspikes51

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This nonsense needs to stop. Splash plays happen every week in the league that are RUINED by refs blowing their whistle in the middle of play

every turnover is automatically reviewed.

There is ZERO need for a whistle to be blown when a play like the Douglas Fumble Recovery and lateral to Hyde happens

The play wasn't stopped for forward progress.  It was stopped because he was down the second he made the recovery due to being touched by a Jet player while being down.  Play was over before Douglas even got up.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:45 AM, Bray Wyatt said:

I dont think it would have been a TD but feel like if he just kept running toward the sideline he would have had a lot more yards

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The play wasn't stopped for forward progress.  It was stopped because he was down the second he made the recovery due to being touched by a Jet player while being down.  Play was over before Douglas even got up.

That’s not true, show the replay. 

• Disagree 7
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This nonsense needs to stop. Splash plays happen every week in the league that are RUINED by refs blowing their whistle in the middle of play

There is ZERO need for a whistle to be blown when a play like the Douglas Fumble Recovery and lateral to Hyde happens

I do agree that whenever possible or if it's that close they need to let the play play out.

However in the case tonight, if an official saw (or believes he saw) a down by contact, then you blow the whistle and end the play. It's a great theory to let the play go no matter what, but what happens if in the scrum and return a player is seriously injured? You and others would be LIVID they let the play continue after seeing a guy down by contact.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

these refs were overall just terrible. I had never seen this crew before, and so I suspect they are like a newer or novice crew. 

they couldn’t even get the down and distance and clock right. They ran a full

play before realizing that they never spotted the ball right after a prior penalty. 

So, the blowing a quick whistle on that fumble was par for the course. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

wrong. Whistle wasn’t blown until the lateral happened

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It’s technically true the play was over due to being touched, but there’s no way the ref saw that in real time.  Even on replay the jets player barely grazed his foot while down.  They should have let it play out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

these refs were overall just terrible. I had never seen this crew before, and so I suspect they are like a newer or novice crew. 

they couldn’t even get the down and distance and clock right. They ran a full

play before realizing that they never spotted the ball right after a prior penalty. 

So, the blowing a quick whistle on that fumble was par for the course. 

The refs and crew were definitely struggling tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

Lol all this arguing about a close play and no one has the sack to actually post a clip of it. Never change TBD

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

post the clip then chief. Let’s see how obvious it was. 

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lol all this arguing about a close play and no one has the sack to actually post a clip of it. Never change TBD

post the clip then chief. Let’s see how obvious it was. 

Didn't you see it on the broadcast? They showed it pretty clearly.

38 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Seeing the replay I do wonder if the official actually saw the down by contact portion. It was so minute that it would have been very Tough to see in real time IMO. 

He definitely did not see it. It was just a happy accident for them that there actually was miniscule contact.

The Bills won by A LOT yesterday. That was one of the poorest officiated games that I’ve ever seen!!!

My favorite was when it was 1st and 5 and the Bills lost 2 yards. AFTER the play, the officials got together and said that they forgot to move the chains on the prior play. It became 2nd and 12!! You either have to move the chains AND the football OR leave it alone. The truth is, you should do it right to begin with. The Bills didn’t end up converting a 1st down. That was WILD. 

You can add a handful of other brutal mistakes to the list. Just a horrendous game for the officials!!

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There's absolutely NO WAY any official saw that in real time. They regularly miss blatant fouls that happen in the open field, right in front of them.

Plus, after I DVRd it last night, the whistle was NOT blown until after the pitch was made, so no, they didn’t whistle it dead when our guy was still on the ground.

• Disagree 1

I’m naming that call the whisper in the wind as there is no chance they were able to see that in real time. It actually ended up being the right call just in an insane fashion, so props goes to that LJ. 

The only call that puzzled me was they unnecessary roughness on Dawkins… I mean it was slightly late but it wasn’t blown dead when he was jumping all on dude. Crazy that the allow Clemons to make a retaliation for it when 4 guys were all doing the same earlier on in the game where Diggs was involved. 

Someone said in the GDT about officials being more visible than ever, ain’t kidding. Got to feel it has something to do with the absolute commercialization for advertisements and endorsements. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Every time they don't blow the whistle Shawn Nelson comes to mind in that ravens game. 

Ftfy

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

There's absolutely NO WAY any official saw that in real time. They regularly miss blatant fouls that happen in the open field, right in front of them.

Plus, after I DVRd it last night, the whistle was NOT blown until after the pitch was made, so no, they didn’t whistle it dead when our guy was still on the ground.

It sometimes takes time to blow the whistle. Even if you think they couldn't see it they actually got it right for once* 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.