Its official. Oakland A's to Vegas

Gregg

Schools over stadiums lawsuit seems to be the only chance left.  As an A's fan for 35 years, this sucks.  Taking one of the oldest franchises with over 55 years in a huge market to one of the smallest markets in the league.  Makes no sense.  Such a greedy POS. 

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Schools over stadiums lawsuit seems to be the only chance left.  As an A's fan for 35 years, this sucks.  Taking one of the oldest franchises with over 55 years in a huge market to one of the smallest markets in the league.  Makes no sense.  Such a greedy POS. 

I totally agree as a fellow A's fan I don't like it and no matter what the Vegas teams calls itself I can't bring myself to root for it. Guess I might move on to being a Blue Jays fan. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Well... They did move from Philadelphia first to Kansas City, then Oakland.  They did spend almost just as much time in Philly as Oakland.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.  

8 minutes ago, Draconator said:

There is so much baseball history in Oakland. But the greedy John Fisher and the rest of MLB don't care about history. Good luck in Vegas. You're going to need it. 

9 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Wow. Oakland hemorrhaging another sports franchise. 

That's how it works in declining areas that at one time may have hemorrhaged from other areas.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Don't worry... They will be gifted a WorldSeries in under 5 years.   At least Buffalo teams never moved. Is it better to be left hanging on a leash or move?

Thank God we have an international border w/Toronto or we'd go the way of the dodo 🦤 Oakland teams in the BayArea!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Let's see if they can get that retractable roof stadium built on 9 acres. My money is on no. 

They better have a roof. Could you imagine playing baseball outside in Vegas from June thru mid-September. 

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

There is so much baseball history in Oakland. But the greedy John Fisher and the rest of MLB don't care about history. Good luck in Vegas. You're going to need it. 

Great fans and history….agreed……but Oakland itself isn’t what it once was.  And that stadium……..yikes.  Not saying greed isn’t part of this mix, but it’s not all greed.

51 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They better have a roof. Could you imagine playing baseball outside in Vegas from June thru mid-September. 

A strong possibility exists that the A's could move for 2024, playing outdoors in their Tripple A stadium until the new stadium is built. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

The City of Oakland and The A's were super close to a new stadium being built on the Pier in Downtown Oakland. Then at the last minute, the A's backed out and said the city was giving no financial aid. Total lies by the A's. 

I believe the mayor said today that they have $938m to fund their part

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Its a shame.  A classic franchise way over 100 years old has no place in Las Vegas.  

That makes no sense.

Over 100 years old in 3 different towns... Sounds like a cheating who*** to me.

Las Vegas is the perfect town.  New classic. 

Oakland stole it from KC and KC stole it from Philadelphia... What's the difference if Las Vegas now steals it?

• Vomit 1

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That makes no sense.

Over 100 years old in 3 different towns... Sounds like a cheating who*** to me.

Las Vegas is the perfect town.  New classic. 

Oakland stole it from KC and KC stole it from Philadelphia... What's the difference if Las Vegas now steals it?

Guess I missed the part where the Billionaire owner held the team hostage for Hundreds of Millions of taxpayer funds when they moved the team to KC or Oakland.  Please link the article so I can inform myself.

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Guess I missed the part where the Billionaire owner held the team hostage for Hundreds of Millions of taxpayer funds when they moved the team to KC or Oakland.  Please link the article so I can inform myself.

Let's not get all sentimental. Oakland must be declining or it's too rough there. I went to a game in Oakland once. We stayed in SanFran. 😆 

It doesn't matter... Still doing it for money. Oakland's must suck doing business there... He wants to move to greener "meadows."  Pun included.

When they left KC... KC demanded the expansion Royals in 1969.

Maybe Oakland can demand a new team?

I really don't have any sympathy for these teams. Seems the ones that move were the ones that stole from someone else.  

On 11/16/2023 at 10:27 AM, Mark80 said:

Why is it greedy? Oakland took the Athletics from Kansas City which took the Philadelphia Athletics from Philadelphia. Oakland common council had two decades to find a solution for getting the Oakland Athletics a new baseball stadium. The Oakland Athletics are drawing like 8,000 today my goodness that is pathetic the Toronto Blue Jays drew more than that in Buffalo with less population. I don’t feel sorry for the Oakland fans either they elected self serving politicians that are most likely on the take with other developers that want the land for public housing and there own vision for development on that property. The Oakland Athletics were never going to get a stadium built in Oakland. It was the right decision two decades is long enough for the Oakland Athletics there is a reason all there three major professional sports teams moved in the past 5 years you can’t do business in Oakland anymore in my opinion. Go Bisons! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Oakland had a basketball team. 
It left for SF. 
Oakland did not get a hockey team. San Jose did. 
Oakland had a football team. 
It left for Los Angeles and then again to Vegas 

People choose to see things or not see things THEN they have a narrative. 

The Raiders and VGK have had a huge success so far in Vegas. It’s working. 

On 11/16/2023 at 11:32 AM, The Jokeman said:

I totally agree as a fellow A's fan I don't like it and no matter what the Vegas teams calls itself I can't bring myself to root for it. Guess I might move on to being a Blue Jays fan. 

Oh give me a f*cking break with the whining about the Oakland A's moving. :rolleyes:

I've always admired the A's organization for a lot of things but the people of Oakland NEVER supported the team.

NEVER.

It's nothing new.

They won the WS in 1972 and 1973 and then ranked next to last in attendance in 1974 on their way to a 3rd straight WS...........something only the Yankees had done!

A's fans f*cking blow.

Thread/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh give me a f*cking break with the whining about the Oakland A's moving. :rolleyes:

I've always admired the A's organization for a lot of things but the people of Oakland NEVER supported the team.

NEVER.

It's nothing new.

They won the WS in 1972 and 1973 and then ranked next to last in attendance in 1974 on their way to a 3rd straight WS...........something only the Yankees had done!

A's fans f*cking blow.

Thread/

You know... The world's on a new kick. They hate victim shaming.  🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll be curious to see fan attendance as time passes. It’s one thing to attend an NFL game on a Vegas vacation, but do people actually want to spend part of their time at a baseball game? I don’t think Vegas itself will support an MLB team. It would be reliant on out of town visitors. 

10 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

Oakland had a basketball team. 
It left for SF. 
Oakland did not get a hockey team. San Jose did. 
Oakland had a football team. 
It left for Los Angeles and then again to Vegas 

People choose to see things or not see things THEN they have a narrative. 

The Raiders and VGK have had a huge success so far in Vegas. It’s working. 

Oakland had a NHL team

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Golden_Seals

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/18/2023 at 1:18 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

NEVER.

It's nothing new.

A's fans f*cking blow.

Thread/

You sir, are so far off base it's laughable.

As a former A's season ticket holder, the A's fans have done nothing but support the team. The issue was the stadium was once a great place to watch baseball. Then the city of Oakland caved to Al Davis and built that travesty called Mt. Davis in center field, and turned the collisseum into the worst stadium to watch a game.

The fans still came out and supported the team. When the stupid owners tarped the entire upper deck, 35,000 we're at the collisseum for pivotable games. When the tarps came off, 55,000 would show up.

Then Billy Beane gutted this team of talent all in the name of metrics, and John Fisher took that another step further and the A's fielded a AAA team against major league competition. That's why fans didn't go. The product and environment sucks. That was all a plot by John Fisher to sing a sad song to MLB in order to move. 

On 11/18/2023 at 1:18 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

NEVER.

It's nothing new.

A's fans f*cking blow.

Thread/

Almost as far off as your take that 82-80 was somehow proof of the Yankees being good due to some oddball .500 streak.  Spoiler alert:  they stunk.

Do you watch baseball or just the Yankees?  The A’s never had fans???  Shirley.  Without even going into the glory days any actual baseball fan will remember the raucous crowds they had with their marginal playoff teams not all that long ago.  Their big “star”?  Coco. Crisp.  Yet somehow the house was packed and rocking.  If you were making this claim about the Rays, I get it.  Rays and A’s rhyme so maybe you’re just making a mistake????

Sadly, IMO, with a lot of water under the bridge, the state of 2020’s Oakland, the run down stadium an other factors, moving to Vegas is probably the right move.  It’s still sad though.  And none of that, even when combined with ignorant fan bases of “marquee” teams, erases what the Oakland A’s and their fan base once were.

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

You sir, are so far off base it's laughable.

As a former A's season ticket holder, the A's fans have done nothing but support the team. The issue was the stadium was once a great place to watch baseball. Then the city of Oakland caved to Al Davis and built that travesty called Mt. Davis in center field, and turned the collisseum into the worst stadium to watch a game.

The fans still came out and supported the team. When the stupid owners tarped the entire upper deck, 35,000 we're at the collisseum for pivotable games. When the tarps came off, 55,000 would show up.

Then Billy Beane gutted this team of talent all in the name of metrics, and John Fisher took that another step further and the A's fielded a AAA team against major league competition. That's why fans didn't go. The product and environment sucks. That was all a plot by John Fisher to sing a sad song to MLB in order to move. 

Like I said........enough with that bullsh!t.

They have been near the bottom of the league in attendance since they were winning World Series titles in the 1970's.  

The only period of time when the fans showed up was during that brief "Bash Brothers" era when they were so far and away the most talented team in MLB that it was a near surety that they would win.   The Swingin' A's of the 70's weren't as dominant in the regular season so the lousy fans didn't show up as they won 3 straight WS.

So when they can't draw flies with bad teams it's idiotic to just point to the product being put on the field.         

Yeah,  their ownership is a part of the problem......it always is in any market where attendance isn't great.........but few teams have been able to draft and develop so many good players as the A's.   You've been blessed as a fan in that regard.  

Other cities would have found a way to get their 4 time WS winning team a stadium complex built and helped them have the resources to compete with the bigger markets.   Instead they got in a p!ssing match with the A's over who was going to be more invested first and AS ALL PRO SPORTS FRANCHISES DO the A's are taking their ball and going elsewhere if that's how it's gonna' be.   

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They have been near the bottom of the league in attendance since they were winning World Series titles in the 1970's.  

The only period of time when the fans showed up was during that brief "Bash Brothers" era when they were so far and away the most talented team in MLB that it was a near surety that they would win.   The Swingin' A's of the 70's weren't as dominant in the regular season so the lousy fans didn't show up as they won 3 straight WS.

So when they can't draw flies with bad teams it's idiotic to just point to the product being put on the field.         

Yeah,  their ownership is a part of the problem......it always is in any market where attendance isn't great.........but few teams have been able to draft and develop so many good players as the A's.   You've been blessed as a fan in that regard.  

Other cities would have found a way to get their 4 time WS winning team a stadium complex built and helped them have the resources to compete with the bigger markets.   Instead they got in a p!ssing match with the A's over who was going to be more invested first and AS ALL PRO SPORTS FRANCHISES DO the A's are taking their ball and going elsewhere if that's how it's gonna' be.   

^^^^^^^^
Clueless

No Bash brothers, no Reggie, Rollie or Rudi:

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Keep living in your fantasy world. I was at a good amount of games, with 15,000 people, and 55,000 people. I'm vastly more qualified to be talking about this than you are. You are wrong, and that's the final word. 

Edited by Draconator

4 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Keep living in your fantasy world. I was at a good amount of games, with 15,000 people, and 55,000 people. I'm vastly more qualified to be talking about this than you are. You are wrong, and that's the final word. 

Have you considered that he is a Yankees fan and they are simply better?  

13 minutes ago, Draconator said:

No, your feels aren't the "final word" pal.........that is the actual American League attendance figures:

10 times dead f*cking last

5 times second to last

7 times 3rd to last

7 times 4th to last

:lol:

The A's are an organization that has made the playoffs in over 40% of the seasons of their existence in Oakland,  won 4 damn world series titles, have always had some of the best uniforms and gear in the league and the community has just never fully embraced what they had.......and could have.........if they stopped being so fickle.    With all the wealth in the nearby area of Northern California it's nobodies fault but the region itself that they lost a baseball team.    It should be more of an embarrassment than anything.   

• Disagree 1