Perhaps McDermott dosn't have enough time.

gjv

It's been obvious since the end of the Miami game that the Bills skill players on offense have been flawed in fundamentals, inconsistent, and have made far too many mistakes. In addition to the downturn performance of those players,  our special team play has also deteriorated. On the other hand, our injury-riddled defense has been able to play at a reasonably high level. Could it be, with the injuries to the defense that coach McDermott has had to spend a disproportionate amount of time scheming, hands-on coaching, and defensive gaming planning to compensate for the downgrade in starting talent on the defense? Thus the lack of detail and consistency by our offensive skill players and special teams is a result of McDermott's lack of time with those two groups.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Well when he spends 80% of the money on defense it doesnt hurt as much when you lose players. 

We have hindered this offense for too long. This whole regime was invest in the defense and hope Josh can cover up the clear weaknesses on the offense....ive been screaming for good offensive lineman 5 freakin years. 

They wanna blame Allen....but if you take him away the pieces around him are mediocre.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, gjv said:

It's been obvious since the end of the Miami game that the Bills skill players on offense have been flawed in fundamentals, inconsistent, and have made far too many mistakes. In addition to the downturn performance of those players,  our special team play has also deteriorated. On the other hand, our injury-riddled defense has been able to play at a reasonably high level. Could it be, with the injuries to the defense that coach McDermott has had to spend a disproportionate amount of time scheming, hands-on coaching, and defensive gaming planning to compensate for the downgrade in starting talent on the defense? Thus the lack of detail and consistency by our offensive skill players and special teams is a result of McDermott's lack of time with those two groups.

Welp, if he needs more time then let's give it to him. As a matter of fact I'd be ok if he needs to "step away to refresh".

Nope. The reality is the message is stale. And the ONLY unit that has any sense of depth built into it was the defense as they really prioritize that unit. 

however typically when your depth on defense is playing meaningful snaps your Special teams tends to suffer. 

the offense IMO has regressed because OF McD meddling and getting his Yes man in Dorsey. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

i just want to add something here that is not being talked about.  there is a lot of this aww shucks the defense is hurt and they try hard stuff.

Well, if you really watch the game last night Denver didn't even attempt to challenge the defense.  They knew they were outmatched and on the road so they ran it a ton and accepted punting.  They also buried themselves with drive killing penalties.  In effect the defense had to stop the run.  They did a good job of it.

Over the next few weeks teams are going to throw it all over when we play KC, Dallas, Chargers and even philly.  Last nights game was winnable because of Denver taking that philosophy.  The next few weeks will be different.  The flip side is we are going to face the same defensive look.  The thing with those teams and the jets this week is that they can play the two deep look and even drop 7 guys into coverage and still get pressure unlike Denver.   Denver couldn't get pressure really at all last night rushing four and they were totally fine with it.  The jets can stop the run with their defensive line its so good...same for KC, Philly and Dallas.  

Its going to be a long road to the end of the year.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nope. The reality is the message is stale. And the ONLY unit that has any sense of depth built into it was the defense as they really prioritize that unit. 

however typically when your depth on defense is playing meaningful snaps your Special teams tends to suffer. 

the offense IMO has regressed because OF McD meddling and getting his Yes man in Dorsey. 

Totally agreed.  Process this process that and we can’t count to 12. 

I've actually wondered this, but he made the call to be the play caller/D coordinator. He should know as well as anyone the time and energy it takes to do that. Frankly, he is out of excuses. This whole operation is of his design, he has had plenty of time to get the coaches he wants/needs. He makes the hiring decisions, he makes the game day roster, he designs the gameplans. This team should be humming and walking into the playoffs year after year and right now, the way this team is playing, I'm not sure they win another game 

25 minutes ago, gjv said:

I'd go even farther and say it all started when he decided to take over the DC role in addition to the HC role.  

He simply has spread himself too thin and all of these same issues were there starting off the season(even in pre-season to some degree), but they have snowballed over time. So many of these attention to detail/focus/preparation/things slipping thru the cracks things that are happening to a normally very buttoned up team that doesn't make those type of mistakes can be looked at from him not being able to spend the time on those things that he used to as just a HC.  It's not a coincidence this is happening in his first year pulling dual roles.

If he doesn't see that he needs to hand off the DC role to someone else then maybe Beane needs to step in and have a long discussion with him to kind of force his hand. I think that would be the biggest thing that could have an immediate positive impact on this team.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

I'd go even farther and say it all started when he decided to take over the DC role in addition to the HC role.  

He simply has spread himself too thin and all of these same issues were there starting off the season(even in pre-season to some degree), but they have snowballed over time. So many of these attention to detail/focus/preparation/things slipping thru the cracks things that are happening to a normally very buttoned up team that doesn't make those type of mistakes can be looked at from him not being able to spend the time on those things that he used to as just a HC.  It's not a coincidence this is happening in his first year pulling dual roles.

If he doesn't see that he needs to hand off the DC role to someone else then maybe Beane needs to step in and have a long discussion with him to kind of force his hand.

Fine he wants to be DC. 

make it easy for him Terry Hore a HV and demote him

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Well when he spends 80% of the money on defense it doesnt hurt as much when you lose players. 

We have hindered this offense for too long. This whole regime was invest in the defense and hope Josh can cover up the clear weaknesses on the offense....ive been screaming for good offensive lineman 5 freakin years. 

They wanna blame Allen....but if you take him away the pieces around him are mediocre.

There's a sick part of me that hopes Allen can't start a game this year (not that I want him hurt, of course). 

Some people on this board deserve to see what this team looks like with Kyle Allen as it's QB.

I can assure you it will be the clusterf--- of the McDermott era. Possibly even worse than the Peterman debacle. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I've actually wondered this, but he made the call to be the play caller/D coordinator. He should know as well as anyone the time and energy it takes to do that. Frankly, he is out of excuses. This whole operation is of his design, he has had plenty of time to get the coaches he wants/needs. He makes the hiring decisions, he makes the game day roster, he designs the gameplans. This team should be humming and walking into the playoffs year after year and right now, the way this team is playing, I'm not sure they win another game 

Tough to find wins left on the schedule the way the team has been playing 

Going into this year everyone knew we had to stack wins early because the back half is so brutal. Well here we are at the back half and the piper is calling to get paid.

This team almost needs to completely implode right now. I fear it will take something very dramatic to move Terry off Sean and we dont have too many Josh years left to waste on McD.

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If he doesn't see that he needs to hand off the DC role to someone else then maybe Beane needs to step in and have a long discussion with him to kind of force his hand. I think that would be the biggest thing that could have an immediate positive impact on this team.

Right...just like the last play of the game, he didn't have time to see who was out on the field or count how many players were out there because he was doing....other Head Coaching things. OK. 

7 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Right...just like the last play of the game, he didn't have time to see who was out on the field or count how many players were out there because he was doing....other Head Coaching things. OK. 

I mean sure, it's the HC fault overall since it's his team, but his ST coach let him down big time in that moment.  

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean sure, it's the HC fault overall since it's his team, but his ST coach let him down big time in that moment.  

McD let himself down as well. Nobody was stopping him from making sure we were prepared and had the right guys on the field at that moment, and it was the last play of the game, there was nothing else to look at. 

The guy is a joke. I can't stand Dorsey but McD threw him under the bus last night for this as well saying we "scored too fast" when we didn't even pass the ball and Denver still had 2 timeouts I believe and the 2 minute warning when we were inside the 10. They were going to have enough time regardless. The guy just has no idea what's going on or anything about game management and he's been a Head Coach for what, 7 years now? 8? 

He's a clown that's being exposed right now when talent isn't masking who he is anymore. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Good news is we won’t be seeing McSd out coached in prime time soon enough. 

1Pm games with the Z coverage teams incoming in 2024. 

last thing i said to my wife before i tried to go to sleep at 1130 last night  "next year we'll be back to 1pm"

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

This can be statistically demonstrated.  Only 4 teams had passer ratings over 100 last season. If one arbitrarily says a game with a passer rating over 100 is an elite QB performance, the Bills have had 18 such games out of 43 played including playoffs. In those 18 games, the Bills are 16-2.  In the other 25 games they are 13-12.   BTW 18 of 43 games is a high percentage of elite performances.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.