2024 Salary Cap

Mikie2times

I have never played with the salary manager tool in spotrac.  Playing with this for a bit and it would seem White, Morse, Poyer, Hines, and Bates are likely out next year. Those moves in conjunction with one or multiple restructures appear to get us near the number. So while some people are saying full on rebuilding mode I don't know if it's that drastic. Then the following year Von seems much more expendable.  

Enjoy the tool, it's fun and gives some perspective on the cap challenges ahead. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/2024/

image.thumb.png.5364e92194535278f7f16b404031d1d8.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I have never played with the salary manager tool in spotrac.  Playing with this for a bit and it would seem White, Morse, Poyer, Hines, and Bates are likely out next year. Those moves in conjunction with one or multiple restructures appear to get us near the number. So while some people are saying full on rebuilding mode I don't know if it's that drastic. Then the following year Von seems much more expendable.  

Enjoy the tool, it's fun and gives some perspective on the cap challenges ahead. 

Bates is Morse’s replacement so we have to keep one of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Bates is Morse’s replacement so we have to keep one of them.

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Who do you have as our SS and FS in your scenario?

I think we would likely be moving on. Hyde would get consideration I would assume. I don't think we give Bates the keys. He's awfully meaty for cap savings. We will see on it I guess. I REALLY don't think Morse is here next year though. I think that one is more clear than Bates.  

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Miller's out the moment they can afford to dump him.  From Spotrac it seems that it would be a bigger cap hit for us to cut him than to keep him, but nearly $10M.  So he'll be around.  

It did not like simulations on certain players. He was chief among them.

Just now, Mikie2times said:

I think we would likely be moving on. Hyde would get consideration I would assume. I don't think we give Bates the keys. He's awfully meaty for cap savings. We will see on it I guess. I REALLY don't think Morse is here next year though. I think that one is more clear than Bates.  

Right, but if we don’t have Bates, we still have to find someone and pay them to play Center.  Bates is at a pretty good price for what we’d have to pay a decent center from elsewhere, unless we find someone in the draft.  I don’t think we will want to re-sign Hyde bc of age and Poyer might be done too, but we will still need FS and SS replacements, so didn’t know if you had contemplated who that might be.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Right, but if we don’t have Bates, we still have to find someone and pay them to play Center.  Bates is at a pretty good price for what we’d have to pay a decent center from elsewhere, unless we find someone in the draft.  I don’t think we will want to re-sign Hyde bc of age and Poyer might be done too, but we will still need FS and SS replacements, so didn’t know if you had contemplated who that might be.

If we moved on from both we would be forced into a vet back up and a premium draft pick. 

Not sure at safety. I haven't looked at FA safety's. You have to think McD will look at the draft if we lost both Poyer and Hyde. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with Rasul Douglas. I believe he's a 9M cap hit next year...with no guarantees. Maybe an extension lowers that number a fair amount...or if he doesn't do well the rest of the year we can walk at no cost.

I got the sense that trade was done with the long term in mind just as much as the short term.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I really don’t care anymore. Somehow the Eagles, Chiefs and 49ers and trade for players and sign free agents and we are always maxed to the cap. I give up

Not having a 5 plus year QB deal at over a 40 million dollar cap hit helps.  What’s Purdy cost about 900K?

Hurts kicks in next year you can sense the urgency with them.  

And soon Burrow and Herbert will kick in.  

So yea we missed the rookie contract window we are now in we need an elite offensive HC mode that can hire great DCs mode - DCs that will get HC jobs and get us draft picks like the 49ers.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I didn’t know that Spotrac had one. I usually use overthecap’s. I like that it shows running cap space totals for current and future years . Just click on where it says “cut pre 6/1” to change to restructure, etc. Here is the link:

https://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Not having a 5 plus year QB deal at over a 40 million dollar cap hit helps.  What’s Purdy cost about 900K?

Hurts kicks in next year you can sense the urgency with them.  

And soon Burrow and Herbert will kick in.  

So yea we missed the rookie contract window we are now in we need an elite offensive HC mode that can hire great DCs mode - DCs that will get HC jobs and get us draft picks like the 49ers.  

We never really had that rookie window because it took Josh two whole seasons to become a franchise QB. Meanwhile, Burrow goes to the SB in year two. That’s the problem with drafting a project, and Beane keeps drafting projects.

• Vomit 1

I think Josh might get an extension with that restructure.

Taron Johnson is another good extension candidate. 

A Douglas extension is likely and will save some money. 

Curious what they do with Dawkins. $16M is over values next season. But we don’t have much money and he’s “good enough”. He could be a cut/trade candidate. But he could also get extended at a value closer to his worth to lower his cost to the cap. 

The tough part I have with Poyer/Hyde is that you have to replace them. We don’t have money, and I’d like to commit the first 3 picks of the draft to WR, OT, and C. I think they’ll likely keep one and give Rapp and extension for the other. 

We will have to draft a pass rusher or two somewhere. 

Edited by Mango

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

The tough part I have with Poyer/Hyde is that you have to replace them. We don’t have money, and I’d like to commit the first 3 picks of the draft to WR, OT, and C. I think they’ll likely keep one and give Rapp and extension for the other. 

I'm not even sure I'd be confident that Poyer or Hyde would be able to give you a full season next year. I'm afraid Poyer's arm is going to fall off every time he makes a tackle, and Hyde seems like he could be one unlucky hit away from being done for good (and luck has not been on our side as of late). 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.