What of Elam now??

JMM

15 minutes ago, BRH said:

And why exactly would Beane tell anyone he tried to trade him?  What does that do for the team?

Another one. Yes, then, of course he was lying to all of us because the outcome didn’t meet your suspicions. 

When the know-it-alls are right? “Called it, told y’all.”

When the know-it-alls are wrong? “He’s obviously lying. My vast experience of sitting on my couch watching football and trolling message boards proves this.”

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BRH said:

And why exactly would Beane tell anyone he tried to trade him?  What does that do for the team?

Oh now now, you can't use non linear thinking and logic here pal, that just confuses and upsets people. If BB said they didn't trade him, then that's the absolute truth and is not to be challenged.  Fall in line fella..🙄🙄🙄

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JMM said:

Oh now now, you can't use non linear thinking and logic here pal, that just confuses and upsets people. If BB said they didn't trade him, then that's the absolute truth and is not to be challenged.  Fall in line fella..🙄🙄🙄

only one confused here is you pal. 

He didn’t just “not trade him.” He flat out said teams made inquiries and he told them he wasn’t interested.

Keep going though with your insane obsession to prove yourself right in the face of everything 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

My my defensive aren't we? Why would that be? 🤔

Let's see if you can keep up. You believe that BB told the truth. Fair enough. Let's say he DIDN'T (SHOCKING), what would be the reasons for that? Explain and elaborate what purpose he would have to do so.

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

He didn’t just “not trade him.” He flat out said teams made inquiries and he told them he wasn’t interested.

Keep going though with your insane obsession to prove yourself right in the face of everything 

Hmm, perhaps you want to ask yourself why you are so engaged in trying to prove me wrong? Is it an " insane obsession "? You sure are in hook line and sinker fella.  Hmm...🤔🤔

1 minute ago, JMM said:

My my defensive aren't we? Why would that be? 🤔

Let's see if you can keep up. You believe that BB told the truth. Fair enough. Let's say he DIDN'T (SHOCKING), what would be the reasons for that? Explain and elaborate what purpose he would have to do so.

you want me to assume Beane’s lying? I don’t believe he’s lying, which you obviously do. I’m not going to assume your position and then provide my own speculations to support you. Like I said I try not to speculate but you go ahead you’re doing great so far.

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

you want me to assume Beane’s lying? I don’t believe he’s lying, which you obviously do. I’m not going to assume your position and then provide my own speculations to support you. Like I said I try not to speculate but you go ahead you’re doing great so far.

I didn't think you could. But hey, hypotheticals, they be real complicated huh? Thanks for playing though. 

1 hour ago, JMM said:

I didn't think you could. But hey, hypotheticals, they be real complicated huh? Thanks for playing though. 

None of us really have time to play in the fantasyland of your mind where you think you know the business of football wherein you state, in the very first sentence of this thread “Obviously the Bills tried to trade him.” All I tried to tell you was no, that’s possible, but not obvious. Not to everyone. And all reports since then suggest that you were dead wrong, and now you can’t accept that. Know who else acts that way? Children. 

Edit: and since we all now know Beane is a liar since his statement didn’t align to JMM’s baseless assertion, why not supply some secondary sources from the NFL rumor mill or insiders? Did any of them report prior to the trade deadline actual team interest in Elam that the Bills were listening to and considering? Were there picks or other compensation discussed? Cuz I didn’t see any. 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I imagine Buffalo keeps him on the roster through the rest of the season.  Next off-season, I think they'll try to trade him again.  Whether or not they succeed s anyone's guess, but I think the odds are better for a trade.  Why?  Teams looking to acquire players in the middle of the season are looking for immediate help to make a playoff run.  With the questions surrounding Elam, he doesn't give that.  In the off season, however, trades are made for team building.  Immediate production is not the criteria that it is in mid-season.  Teams acquiring players in the off season have all of training camp to get new players acclimated to their system.  Under those circumstances, Elam could have some value to a team that plays mostly man coverage.  NY Giants maybe?

IMO, they didn't want to and won’t trade him. One of the main reasons why, I believe, they brought in Norman to help him learn the D and learn how to really play Zone. He has the physical attributes to be a very good CB and we did see flashes at the end of last season. White was busy working on himself and I don't think McD really has time right now to provide enough support and we don't/didn't have the experience from others to step in and help. I also believe that Douglas will be able to help him over the next several months. I think adding those 2 as "mentors", it could really aide to his improvement and ascension to being the CB we were expecting. Some people just need more time and support. I'm going to go out on a limb (could absolutely be wrong!) and say, Elam will be our #1 CB next season and (unfortunately) be White's replacement. 

OK, I'll take off my rose colored glasses now.😁

• Thank you (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

IMO, they didn't want to and won’t trade him. One of the main reasons why, I believe, they brought in Norman to help him learn the D and learn how to really play Zone. He has the physical attributes to be a very good CB and we did see flashes at the end of last season. White was busy working on himself and I don't think McD really has time right now to provide enough support and we don't/didn't have the experience from others to step in and help. I also believe that Douglas will be able to help him over the next several months. I think adding those 2 as "mentors", it could really aide to his improvement and ascension to being the CB we were expecting. Some people just need more time and support. I'm going to go out on a limb (could absolutely be wrong!) and say, Elam will be our #1 CB next season and (unfortunately) be White's replacement. 

OK, I'll take off my rose colored glasses now.😁

Well beane defended him as analogous to Douglas;s development. Out of nowhere we heard about his “ankle injury” and sudden plays for ir.  This helps relieve weekly questions , keeps a small return this  season possible, negates beans admitting his rash  ,mistake w the pick, and gives another cheap year on his rookie contact as they evaluate Douglas.  Would have never gotten any trade value. Very intelligent moves by beane to avoid any chance of another player  thriving Elsewhere like a certain brownie ol. Plus its another chance to save face w pagula regarding a missed first round pick. Many receivers peak in their third  year so nothing is lost but developmental time on a young athlete.  

Living in Florida tho and catching gator games , i thought he was very overrated as he was good but on a comparably badly coached team. It’s really about beane saving face,,,,he has done well this year but his RBs drafts and free agent WRs this year are very underwhelming. We’re not 5-3 brimming w depth as the injuries have exposed the d and let me know when josh;s support at wr shows up with  Kincaid as his sole standout addition offensively regarding a target for josh. Even that has been offset but Knox reverting back to his undependable hands at crtical times.  Thank gosh he dropped motor who was always a fumble or crucial drop waiting as well.  

And i will praise beane for letting the always soft edmunds go who was always supported by those saying what he never allowed , as opposed to a true playmaker like Bernard. All those Edmunds apologists like the content providers who snobbishly always told fans and thumbed their noses saying we could never understand his value because they are such experts just because they spout opinions on YouTube. Blank  the “king: was the most arrogant , yet no admitting how wrong his analysis was,,,,just ask bears fans.  I digress , but it was 5 years of spewing that crap and arrogantly demeaning Any other suggestion.  Humility is a good character trait….try it occasionally “king” , but that self title speaks its Own delusional ideation.   He who laughs last…….haha!

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

None of us really have time to play in the fantasyland of your mind where you think you know the business of football wherein you state, in the very first sentence of this thread “Obviously the Bills tried to trade him.” All I tried to tell you was no, that’s possible, but not obvious. Not to everyone. And all reports since then suggest that you were dead wrong, and now you can’t accept that. Know who else acts that way? Children. 

Edit: and since we all now know Beane is a liar since his statement didn’t align to JMM’s baseless assertion, why not supply some secondary sources from the NFL rumor mill or insiders? Did any of them report prior to the trade deadline actual team interest in Elam that the Bills were listening to and considering? Were there picks or other compensation discussed? Cuz I didn’t see any. 

You might want to as they say " do your research ", as to the possible teams that were interested and compensation that was discussed.  Hint: it's right on this board.  But again thanks for playing there are several nice parting gifts for you.  Bye bye  now👋 

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Both Hyde and Poyer used to be CBs.

That's right that Hyde started out as a nickel corner w the Packers.  I honestly knew nothing about Poyer before he came to the Bills.  

Both have been great players and professionals for the Bills.  I wish all our free agent signings turned out close to what those two have meant to the team.  At best they each probably have one year left after this season.  Would love to see them go out as champions.  

39 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

How did I miss the Elam injury? I don’t remember seeing it anywhere. 

He has a nasty bruise ... He got it last week. 

A very nasty bruise to his ego after getting benched in favor of the severely washed up Josh Norman

• Dislike 1

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think he is heading to Ir

You called it. Now my question for the board is this: when did he get injured. And could it have hampered his ability to play effectively this season? 

9 minutes ago, damj said:

He has a nasty bruise ... He got it last week. 

A very nasty bruise to his ego after getting benched in favor of the severely washed up Josh Norman

okay I just read this. SO if he really wasn't injured previously the answer to my question would be NO 

Elam is a potential example of the high cost of missing on first round picks.  We traded a 4th round pick to move up in the first round to select him and we needed to use a 3rd round pick to find a replacement for him this year (mitigated by receiving a 5th round pick back).  We also need to consider the opportunity costs of selecting Elam instead of selecting a more productive player with that pick.  

I understand that Benford has been able to hold down the CB2 spot and the acquisition of Douglas really is to replace White, but it would be a reasonable expectation for Elam to be at least be CB2 at this point (and not inactive for a number of games in his second year).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.