The vibe of the team - they don't play loose anymore

HomeskillitMoorman

I think to me that's one of the biggest glaring aspects about this team that is so visibly obvious. I know people have even mentioned her that their wives who don't really even pay much attention have noticed and remark about this - they don't look like they're having fun anymore. 

This is where I think things are different than 2 years ago when we fell to 7-6...the team still seemed very close-knit and it still felt like we could go on a run. 

Things have changed. This team plays much more tight, much more afraid to fail. It's just not really fun anymore. Maybe it's that the honeymoon is over and now they're facing real pressure and the stuff about the window is factoring in and they feel like they're up against it. 

McD has just lost every facet of this team whether it's on the field or intangibly. We need a new voice, maybe just someone competent who isn't a part of all the chokejobs and can bring a fresher and more confident feeling. 

I've wanted him gone since 13 seconds but this is the first time I've felt he absolutely HAS to go. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Although I still think there's other issues at play here(playcalling, scheming, personnel, etc. ) I definitely agree with this.  It's a completely different ballgame when you are a young team on the rise after being a dumpster fire for 17 years, everything is all roses and gravy and I'm sure the atmosphere felt very fun for the players.  But now after too many disappointments and the years going by with early exits in the playoffs, the pressure begins to mount.  Expectations rise...it does feel like this is a team that really struggles with pressure and expectations.  It just doesn't look like they play with a real confidence anymore even though they still say all the right things in press conferences.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I get the vibe that there is a feeling within the building that they are cursed.  We went on a magical run two years straight and we were very lucky.  Winning close games Josh couldn’t throw a red zone interception if his life depended on it and most importantly we were remarkably healthy.  And these last 2 years seems like we are cursed and we aren’t playing the same way we used to.  They don’t look like they are having fun anymore it looks like they are trying not to make the mistakes that the pundits say they make.  And in doing so they are playing slower and not as free.  I’ll be the first person to say Dorsey is a huge problem but there is something else going on there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Although I still think there's other issues at play here(playcalling, scheming, personnel, etc. ) I definitely agree with this.  It's a completely different ballgame when you are a young team on the rise after being a dumpster fire for 17 years, everything is all roses and gravy and I'm sure the atmosphere felt very fun for the players.  But now after too many disappointments and the years going by with early exits in the playoffs, the pressure begins to mount.  Expectations rise...it does feel like this is a team that really struggles with pressure and expectations.  It just doesn't look like they play with a real confidence anymore even though they still say all the right things in press conferences.  

I have to agree.

I think part of these real poor first halves the team played the last two weeks is due to nerves/tightness.  When the team loosened up in the 2nd half they play/played better.  I mean last week they got away with it.  Not this week 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

but I think the play calling, scheming etc… goes hand in hand with the atmosphere and energy around the team. 

remember how the guys used to talk about daboll, or their WR coach? 

im not a guy that thought daboll was the greatest ever but I do generally think that the offense is missing a cohesive identity that everyone more or less buys into. I don’t think Dorsey has created that on or off the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Business like. Remember the team we had back when we stomped Dallas on turkey day? That team had fun. They were playing lights out and enjoying the moment. 

Then the expectations started and the team stopped being loose, fun and playing free. 

Let’s be completely honest though… even that team lost the playoff game against the Texans in close to the worst possible way 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

but I think the play calling, scheming etc… goes hand in hand with the atmosphere and energy around the team. 

im not a guy that thought daboll was the greatest ever but I do generally think that the offense is missing a cohesive identity that everyone more or less buys into. I don’t think Dorsey has created that on or off the field. 

Yes that's a fair point too 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He has not and he will never do it because he’s the biggest waste of oxygen on this coaching staff. 

Agreed.  The fun was time in 2021.  Last year was a struggle for a variety of reasons.  On field disasters, off the field nonsense before the Bengals  game yielded drama that infected the off-season.  I really feel like the stupid London trip wore them out, and everything is hard now.   Gotta be looser in offense—try some trick plays, do something different, whatever just to make it interesting for the guys.  And, McD is wound pretty tight and I wonder if it’s just getting old.  

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

More worried about urgency than playing loose.  Stop killing drives by running plays for guys who can’t catch or running our 190lb RB up the gut.  Going to Kincaid good first step but it takes too long for the offense to adjust.  

I’m with you - play fast.  If I see another 2nd and seven run next week I will lose my mind. 

There is no sense of urgency in the first 2-3 quarters anymore. It is like they finally wake when they realize they just might lose the game. You can’t live on the fairy tale comebacks every week. It is the offense that lacks that energy. So it has to be Dorsey. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.