If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

Gugny

If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

On 10/18/2023 at 4:21 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I’m at. I’m firmly in the “yes” category here. He did a nice job rebuilding the culture but that is now settled. I’m not impressed by his record. His record has not exceeded the talent imo. That’s how I judge coaching. “Is your record better than if __ was coaching here?” I don’t see it with McDermott. There are dozens of guys that could have produced the exact same results with these rosters. They need someone that can elevate them to the next level. I said it before the year and I’ll say it again, unless they take the next step it’s time for a change while you still have prime Josh Allen.

Someone on here once made a brilliant comparison calling Sean, Doug Collins for those early Bills teams. He had Jordan and they became contenders. Once they moved on to Phil Jackson, they became 6-time champions. That really stuck with me and feels like such a fair comparison. We need more from our coaching staff than we are currently getting.

I disagree. His first year was one of the best coaching performances I ever saw. He took a 5-11 roster, made them a 9-7 team and made the playoffs. Yes, they backed in and were lucky to get there but that team should not have been close. That's why I am impressed with his record. Despite the talent he has had the last 5 years

16 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I disagree. His first year was one of the best coaching performances I ever saw. He took a 5-11 roster, made them a 9-7 team and made the playoffs. Yes, they backed in and were lucky to get there but that team should not have been close. That's why I am impressed with his record. Despite the talent he has had the last 5 years

He did a great job building the culture in the first year. They cleaned house in year 2 and built the roster back up in 2019.

I just think that a lot of people could take this roster and win 11 games and (almost) 1/2 of their playoff games. Their ceiling has been Super Bowl Champ for the last 3 years imo (4 Including this year). They have yet to appear in the game. I know that it isn’t easy but if you aren’t reaching the ceiling (like Doug Collins) get me someone that will. The Bills cannot continue to come up short during Allen’s prime. This isn’t 2017 when they are trying to break the drought. This is when they need to capitalize.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:59 PM, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills go 4-13 like Arizona did McDermott and Beane are in trouble. But it would take that sort of disaster for Pegula to fire them after this season IMO.

That's kind of the point tho

A team w Allen at QB isn't going to go 4-13

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Negan said:

I'd take Harbaugh in a heartbeat if McDermott isn't the guy, considering he's trying to get back into the NFL especially after the sign stealing fiasco

Is he trying to get back into the NFL. I thought Michigan was his dream job.

Good topic question

im not happy with how the bills are playing 

BUT I am happy with a few things.

1 Defense has played admirable despite the adversity.  Really they have.  

aside from Elam in London really they played “the prince” pretty well.  He’s a threat at QB and a playoff team for sure - I feel we beat them in the USA for sure.

offense struggles in week 4-6

what?  Why do you like that?

they have time to fix it!  I have seen this time and time again with chmapship teams - even Mahomes and the chiefs.  Little slump then start upward and get stronger and better together.

now they have to change and they have to adapt.  We will see if they are championship caliber in the coming weeks but I still believe they beat the chiefs and the cowboys and the bengals in the coming weeks - even feel they beat the Eagles.  Yeah they may lose one in there somewhere those are great teams but feel they win a big majority

So I feel they make the AFCCG

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He did a great job building the culture in the first year. They cleaned house in year 2 and built the roster back up in 2019.

I just think that a lot of people could take this roster and win 11 games and (almost) 1/2 of their playoff games. Their ceiling has been Super Bowl Champ for the last 3 years imo (4 Including this year). They have yet to appear in the game. I know that it isn’t easy but if you aren’t reaching the ceiling (like Doug Collins) get me someone that will. The Bills cannot continue to come up short during Allen’s prime. This isn’t 2017 when they are trying to break the drought. This is when they need to capitalize.

I'm still skeptical that a lot of people can. I'd take McDermott over a guy like Brandon Staley right now. I feel like that guy could hold this team back. I do think coaching matters and there are worse coaches than McDermott that can take the franchise backwards 

43 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Good topic question

im not happy with how the bills are playing 

BUT I am happy with a few things.

1 Defense has played admirable despite the adversity.  Really they have.  

aside from Elam in London really they played “the prince” pretty well.  He’s a threat at QB and a playoff team for sure - I feel we beat them in the USA for sure.

offense struggles in week 4-6

what?  Why do you like that?

they have time to fix it!  I have seen this time and time again with chmapship teams - even Mahomes and the chiefs.  Little slump then start upward and get stronger and better together.

now they have to change and they have to adapt.  We will see if they are championship caliber in the coming weeks but I still believe they beat the chiefs and the cowboys and the bengals in the coming weeks - even feel they beat the Eagles.  Yeah they may lose one in there somewhere those are great teams but feel they win a big majority

So I feel they make the AFCCG

We didn't have any offensive struggles in week 4. Only the last 2 weeks

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

So explain the playoff game. They were tired?  They were distraught?  Give me a break. 

Trevor Lawrence and Zack f*cking Wilson look like prime Joe Montana and our offense can’t keep up with them?

Let me guess. Jet lag!?

We’ve been making excuses for too long. 

As I said earlier … one common denominator. 

why did the mighty eagles lose to Zack? 
their coach ***** sucks. 

I vote no because I don't think Terry Pegulas has made that specific expectation clear. If he has, then sure, fire the man based on the fact that clear expectations were not met.

My personal expectations (as a fan with zero responsibilities to the team and nothing on the line) are simply to be entertained, which Allen does more than any other QB in the league...hell, more than any other PLAYER in the league. For my personal needs, Allen's prime years are not being wasted at all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm still skeptical that a lot of people can. I'd take McDermott over a guy like Brandon Staley right now. I feel like that guy could hold this team back. I do think coaching matters and there are worse coaches than McDermott that can take the franchise backwards 

We didn't have any offensive struggles in week 4. Only the last 2 weeks

Let me ask it differently. What do you think the ceiling is/has been? If you think 1 championship game appearance is it, then you should be satisfied.

I’m not at a point where I’m worried about “it could be worse.” That’s where I was with Tyrod and that’s because the team was bad for a generation. I was of the belief that the high floor was good at that time. Now, it is not acceptable to me to get bounced in the Divisional Round. I believe that this team is/has been Super Bowl Caliber. He isn’t getting his team where they belong. You don’t get “Josh Allen’s” very often. You better take advantage of his prime.

Another example that I think works is Dwayne Casey. He won the Coach of the Year and was fired that offseason!! His team won the title the next year. Don’t settle for “it could be worse” while you have Josh Allen in his prime.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let me ask it differently. What do you think the ceiling is/has been? If you think 1 championship game appearance is it, then you should be satisfied.

I’m not at a point where I’m worried about “it could be worse.” That’s where I was with Tyrod and that’s because the team was bad for a generation. I was of the belief that the high floor was good at that time. Now, it is not acceptable to me to get bounced in the Divisional Round. I believe that this team is/has been Super Bowl Caliber. He isn’t getting his team where they belong. You don’t get “Josh Allen’s” very often. You better take advantage of his prime.

Another example that I think works is Dwayne Casey. He won the Coach of the Year and was fired that offseason!! His team won the title the next year. Don’t settle for “it could be worse” while you have Josh Allen in his prime.

Sean McDermott is a million times better a HC than Tyrod Taylor is a QB. Slight hyperbole but it isn't close.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I love when people say something like this. The 2016 bills went seven and nine and were in the playoff hunt until week 16(ot loss to Miami and Rex resigning fired).  He took the 16th ranked offence to 29th and the defence  was pretty much the same.  Yep got some breaks and Andy Dalton got them into the playoffs.

Then came Allen.  

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sean McDermott is a million times better a HC than Tyrod Taylor is a QB. Slight hyperbole but it isn't close.

You’re missing the point if that’s what you took out of it. Tyrod was fine for a team that was perennially bad. He could get you to average. He did and broke the drought. McDermott was exceptional to take a bad team and stabilize them. That doesn’t mean that he’s the guy to take them to the promised land. If he can’t get them to their ceiling they need someone else.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Casey is a perfect example.  Come playoffs he crumpled.  And now the Raptors too moved on from Nurse.  

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

You’re missing the point if that’s what you took out of it. Tyrod was fine for a team that was perennially bad. He could get you to average. He did and broke the drought. McDermott was exceptional to take a bad team and stabilize them. That doesn’t mean that he’s the guy to take them to the promised land. If he can’t get them to their ceiling they need someone else.

They were an average team, not bad in 2016.  Heck outside wins/losses they were better in almost every aspect.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sure. But it was a bad comparison.

McD has 5 issues to fix and overcome this year.  If he doesn't he should be shown the door and we don't look back.

This is a must to do list this for the rest of this season.  Doing this equates to AFCCG and a superbowl appearance.

1) You have to beat Andy Reid.

2) You have to beat Zac Taylor

3) You have to beat Doug Pederson

4) You have to beat Mike McDaniel

5) You have to beat Robert Saleh

Any more losses to anyone of these teams is a bad omen.  We are 1-2 right now against these teams and there is a strong possibility we lose every other game against these teams too. Until we beat them when it matters you can not say that the Bills are the AFC team to beat.

We all know McD has never beaten Andy Reid in the playoffs when it matters,  same thing for Zac Taylor.

Doug Pederson and Mike McDaniel are going to be a problem this year for sure unless injury hits these two teams "Tua" or "Lawrence"

The Jets are learning to win, Zach Wilson is learning to win too,  and they have beaten us already.   Zack Wilson will not be the same crap QB we saw and faced in game 1.  Hell Aaron Rodgers might be back under center when we play them again.

Buffalo will not win the AFCE this year.  The offense has no stability and is way too inconstant.  To many swings from really good to head scratching really bad.

Doug Pederson has McD figured out and will be a problem in the playoffs,  Mike McDaniel will not lose our next game in Miami and could beat us in the playoffs.    None of these teams will lose to us in our remaining games against them,  with this team playing this erratic unsustainable offense as of late, even at 4-2 we have games upcoming that if we play at this mediocre level we will lose, the playoffs will be just wishful thinking.

We still have to beat KC, Cinci, Dallas, Philly, NYJ, Miami, and the LAC.  But McD and Dorsey do not exude any confidence going against these teams.

There is not one team on this list that is a pushover or a guaranteed win. This has the potential of adding up to 7 more loses to the two we have already.

9-8 or 8-9 is real possibility because of McD and Dorsey.

Until this team figures out how to play at a sustained performance level that is = to how a SB contender should play, they are more pretenders vs contenders under McD.

During McD's tenure the Bills have lost every important playoff game to get to the next level,  getting past the AFCCG and ultimately the Superbowl is only next step I will accept for him not to be fired.

It's time for him to put up or get the hell out of WNY.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I believe the ceiling is a Superbowl and I do in fact believe McDermott can get us there. I am willing to give him a little bit longer. The only way, I believe it should even be remotely discussed that he gets fired, is if he is a one and done in the playoffs. The only way he should actually be fired, is if he misses the playoffs entirely. If he is a one and done. I give him one more shot, if he fails again, then we can move on

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.