Former assistants overachieve vs the team they left plus travel schedule

Albany,n.y.

I wasn't surprised the Bills had problems with the Giants last night.  Brian Daboll knows Josh better than just about anyone else in the NFL.  Assistant coaches who return as head coaches to play the team he was an assistant with seem to overachieve against their former team.  I'll cite 2 recent coaches who left NE to coach other teams.  Both got fired before their 4th seasons.  Matt Patricia was bad in Detroit, yet he still was able to beat NE when the 2 teams met.  Brian Flores lasted 3 seasons in Miami & was 4-2 vs NE.  Now lets add Josh McDaniels who after yesterday is 2-0 with Las Vegas vs NE.  The record vs NE for these 3 recent coaches is 7-2 vs future HOF coach Bill Belichick.

So, lets hit the brakes on the Bills falling apart.  The last 2 weeks they traveled to London to play a team that had been there the week before & stayed there, then they came back to play vs a former assistant who is very familiar with the Bills.  I remember a time when the week after a game in Europe, the NFL gave the teams a bye the next Sunday. 

I'll attribute the 2 showings to travel and coming back to play a coach who knows them better than just about any other head coach in the league.  Until proven wrong, I'm giving the team a break for the past 2 weeks, one of them a victory, which is more than I can say for Bill Belichick's recent  games versus his former assistants where he's 0-2 the last 2 times he faced Josh McDaniels and 0-3 the last 3 times he faced Brian Flores.  Add in the Patricia loss in 2018 and the last 6 games vs these 3 former assistants Bill is 0-6. The only one he's beaten is Flores in 2 of 6 games over 2019-2021, with 1 win each in 2019 & 2020.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

-Jets make elite QB's look bad excuse.

-London travel to play an acclimated team excuse.

-Travel back from London to play our former OC excuse. 

I mean, honestly.. all valid.  However, we're six games in and making excuses for the Offense being terrible in half of them isn't going to be acceptable to many, even those in the building.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is definitely an aspect of that playing out. Honestly, I just don't think "how you look" this time of year matters much, it's all about what the win-loss column says.  It matters how you look going into the playoffs and that you should be peaking at the right times.  2021 taught us this...Bills had one of the greatest single postseason offensive performances of all time in those 2 games, including the only perfect game in NFL history, but their offense was not "up to par" with what we have come to expect for much of that year and it was a big reason we went 11-6.

In week 6, it simply doesn't matter "how you looked", just that you find a way to win, no matter how that is.  It only matters that you've gotten things figured out and are heading into the playoffs with positive momentum.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I wasn't surprised the Bills had problems with the Giants last night.  Brian Daboll knows Josh better than just about anyone else in the NFL.  Assistant coaches who return as head coaches to play the team he was an assistant with seem to overachieve against their former team.  I'll cite 2 recent coaches who left NE to coach other teams.  Both got fired before their 4th seasons.  Matt Patricia was bad in Detroit, yet he still was able to beat NE when the 2 teams met.  Brian Flores lasted 3 seasons in Miami & was 4-2 vs NE.  Now lets add Josh McDaniels who after yesterday is 2-0 with Las Vegas vs NE.  The record vs NE for these 3 recent coaches is 7-2 vs future HOF coach Bill Belichick.

So, lets hit the brakes on the Bills falling apart.  The last 2 weeks they traveled to London to play a team that had been there the week before & stayed there, then they came back to play vs a former assistant who is very familiar with the Bills.  I remember a time when the week after a game in Europe, the NFL gave the teams a bye the next Sunday. 

I'll attribute the 2 showings to travel and coming back to play a coach who knows them better than just about any other head coach in the league.  Until proven wrong, I'm giving the team a break for the past 2 weeks, one of them a victory, which is more than I can say for Bill Belichick's recent  games versus his former assistants where he's 0-2 the last 2 times he faced Josh McDaniels and 0-3 the last 3 times he faced Brian Flores.  Add in the Patricia loss in 2018 and the last 6 games vs these 3 former assistants Bill is 0-6. The only one he's beaten is Flores in 2 of 6 games over 2019-2021, with 1 win each in 2019 & 2020.   

Albany, you know I think the world of you.  As far as the bye post London, that was the Bills choice.  They specifically asked for a later bye.  It’s been on WGR a bunch of times.

im frustrated too.  I’m also not giving up on our offense.  Let’s hope this week is the get right game and we destroy the patriots.  As much as I like Tampa as I live here, I want to beat them convincingly as well.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There is definitely an aspect of that playing out. Honestly, I just don't think "how you look" this time of year matters much, it's all about what the win-loss column says.  It matters how you look going into the playoffs and that you should be peaking at the right times.  2021 taught us this...Bills had one of the greatest single postseason offensive performances of all time in those 2 games, including the only perfect game in NFL history, but their offense was not "up to par" with what we have come to expect for much of that year and it was a big reason we went 11-6.

In week 6, it simply doesn't matter "how you looked", just that you find a way to win, no matter how that is.  It only matters that you've gotten things figured out and are heading into the playoffs with positive momentum.

Spot on post.

Right NOW, the immediate impact after that dreadful loss of a game and how they looked "mattered" but after the next game we do look good, it will be a distant memory.

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Albany, you know I think the world of you.  As far as the bye post London, that was the Bills choice.  They specifically asked for a later bye.  It’s been on WGR a bunch of times.

im frustrated too.  I’m also not giving up on our offense.  Let’s hope this week is the get right game and we destroy the patriots.  As much as I like Tampa as I live here, I want to beat them convincingly as well.

It doesn't mean they made the right choice.  The choice to leave on Thursday isn't looking so good.  Maybe they just messed up the entire London thing.  

London has nothing to do with last nights ugly game.

The Bills played poorly. Full stop.

Something is wrong with this team and it clearly shows. I bet we lose to NE. If so, heads better roll!

I hope we beat them bad but I just don't have any confidence in this team anymore.

• Eyeroll 1

Tell me was anyone impressed with the KC offense on Thursday night? Outside of Kelce (see Diggs) and Pacheco (see Cook) they weren't all that great. Yet I know, they're better because they have Andy Reid and we just the horrible Ken Dorsey or wait it's because he was facing a guy totally familiar with his offense Sean Payton not Brian Daboll. Would I want to have the Miami offense now sure? But you know what I'd rather have the Bills offense and Bills defense now all things considered. 

14 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It doesn't mean they made the right choice.  The choice to leave on Thursday isn't looking so good.  Maybe they just messed up the entire London thing.  

When I see this, in the context of Benford’s shoulder and Rousseau’s foot, I just think if they left earlier in the week they’re basically ruling them out on Monday because they won’t have access to their facilities for appropriate rehab. I could be wrong… that may have been the plan to leave later in the week all along and the injuries may have had no bearing on it.

Regardless, if I see Goodell in the street I’m gonna beast mode him with my driver’s side mirror. 

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I've seen too much elite October football the last 3 years to care about looking that way right now. This is exactly right. Stack wins, work on everything, get everything on tape. And go ballistic when you have to. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Harbaugh brought the Ravens to London early (Tuesday I think) specifically because the Ravens lost so badly the last time they played in London.   I think we'll see more teams start coming earlier in the future.

15 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

London has nothing to do with last nights ugly game.

The Bills played poorly. Full stop.

Something is wrong with this team and it clearly shows. I bet we lose to NE. If so, heads better roll!

I hope we beat them bad but I just don't have any confidence in this team anymore.

Actually, London had a lot to do with how poorly the Bills played last night IMO.  Both Knox and Kincaid were "questionable" for the entire week because of injuries they suffered in the London game because the Bills have morphed from a team that seldom used 2 TE sets to one that goes primarily with 2 TEs.  Knox was able to play, but Kincaid is still in concussion protocol, which limited how effective the Bills could be in 2 TE sets since their #3 TE is Quinton Morris who has caught all of 10 passes in his 2 year NFL career.  Now, Morris did catch the game winning TD, but Morris isn't Kincaid, and who knows how well Knox could catch the ball with a bad wrist?   

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

who knows how well Knox could catch the ball with a bad wrist?   

Based off of past experiences, without a wrist injury, his drop in a we really need a play to be made by you, is par for the course...

All kidding aside, the lack of a bona-fide WR2 who can run a full route tree and quickly get off the line hurts this team more than anything else right now

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I've heard that playing the week directly after the London game has also had issues for teams.  It's why the NFL apparently offers all teams playing in London a bye he next week.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I've heard that playing the week directly after the London game has also had issues for teams.  It's why the NFL apparently offers all teams playing in London a bye he next week.

According to the NFLN Insiders, since teams could choose to have a bye or play a game after returning from Europe, the teams that played the week after coming back from Europe have won 9 out of 13 games.  

19 minutes ago, SoTier said:

According to the NFLN Insiders, since teams could choose to have a bye or play a game after returning from Europe, the teams that played the week after coming back from Europe have won 9 out of 13 games.  

How do you explain that? 

19 minutes ago, SoTier said:

They have also trailed in the fourth quarter of all 13 of those games.  So there's that.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Albany, I'm terribly disappointed in you. As a long-standing TBD member, you should know that nothing is acceptable other than a hysterical, irate, sky-is-falling-fire-the-coaching-staff-and-tank-for-the-number-one-pick post when the Bills win by anything less than 51-3.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Harbaugh brought the Ravens to London early (Tuesday I think) specifically because the Ravens lost so badly the last time they played in London.   I think we'll see more teams start coming earlier in the future.

Actually, London had a lot to do with how poorly the Bills played last night IMO.  Both Knox and Kincaid were "questionable" for the entire week because of injuries they suffered in the London game because the Bills have morphed from a team that seldom used 2 TE sets to one that goes primarily with 2 TEs.  Knox was able to play, but Kincaid is still in concussion protocol, which limited how effective the Bills could be in 2 TE sets since their #3 TE is Quinton Morris who has caught all of 10 passes in his 2 year NFL career.  Now, Morris did catch the game winning TD, but Morris isn't Kincaid, and who knows how well Knox could catch the ball with a bad wrist?   

That has nothing to do with "London". That has everything to do with a player(s) getting injured. Could have happened in Cleveland for all we care. London has nothing to do with how they played last night. So is London the reason they were injured??? C'mon man. Poor excuse.

Funky 50/50 knuckleball games happen all the time in the NFL. The Bills got into a dog fight and won "ugly" take the win and move off. If Josh and Harris are OK then the team got out without any major injuries too (and Dane Jackson and Kincaid got a weeks rest too both returns should help both sides of the ball). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.