Williams and Bernard

Success

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Do we have to? Personally,  I'd like to see more 4-3. And if Milano and Williams can cover in pass plays, it'd be nice to have the extra LB against the run as well. I know it's not our base D, but... TB, Milano and Williams... I like the thought. 😁

Then you take Taron off the field, also a solid player 

19 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I was ok with Williams. He needs time and there is a definitive drop off from Milano to Williams. Hopefully he continues to improve and learns to play smarter.  Where we were really hurting on D is the loss of Daquan Jones.  The Cincinnati playoff game was when I really noticed his impact. He just quietly makes everyone around him so much better. The D-line barely got pressure on Tyrod. ONE SACK on a team that gives up 5-6 a game. That was pitiful.  Phillips has him moments, but he just doesn't command the attention that Daquan does. Ford was not good. I can see why he was an inactive. 

The same goes for Elam. Missing Dane Jackson really hurt the secondary. Elam is brutal and we need to figure out what to do at corner. If we make any trades, CB has to be the top target.  A good #2 WR is next.

I think Taylor was just playing fast. Much faster than Jones, so the ball came out quicker, leading to fewer pressures/sacks. 

Jones holds onto the ball (when he isn’t fumbling it) much too long. If he was in there, I think you’d see that D performance you were expecting IMO

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Dorien Williams was in the screenshot of nearly every play either in on the tackle or close to the tackle

He had several good plays in the game. He also had a couple of dingers like the runs that were given up for big yards to Barkley.

5 solo tackles 10 combo, I like his instinct.

From today's Buffalo News:

"Bernard wasn't just pumping up his teammate when he said that. Williams did, indeed, turn in several impactful tackles. In the second quarter alone, Williams either made a solo tackle or assisted in bringing down Barkley four times on plays in which the Giants' star running back gained 2 yards or less, including one for a loss of 2 yards and another for no gain on a second-and-1 run.

In the third quarter, Williams again stopped Barkley, with help from A.J. Epenesa, after a gain of just 2 yards on a first-and-10 play, and also limited a scramble by Giants quarterback Tyrod Taylor to just a 3-yard gain on third-and-14. In the fourth quarter, Williams forced a Taylor incompletion by getting pressure on a third-and-1 play from the Bills' 11-yard line, leading to the Giants kicking a field goal."

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Then you take Taron off the field, also a solid player 

Arguably the best well rounded slot in the league ... Tough in run support ..  can blitz off the edge .... Physical man corner and adept in zone 

That's why we are base nickel ... It has everything to do with Taron 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

From today's Buffalo News:

"Bernard wasn't just pumping up his teammate when he said that. Williams did, indeed, turn in several impactful tackles. In the second quarter alone, Williams either made a solo tackle or assisted in bringing down Barkley four times on plays in which the Giants' star running back gained 2 yards or less, including one for a loss of 2 yards and another for no gain on a second-and-1 run.

In the third quarter, Williams again stopped Barkley, with help from A.J. Epenesa, after a gain of just 2 yards on a first-and-10 play, and also limited a scramble by Giants quarterback Tyrod Taylor to just a 3-yard gain on third-and-14. In the fourth quarter, Williams forced a Taylor incompletion by getting pressure on a third-and-1 play from the Bills' 11-yard line, leading to the Giants kicking a field goal."

Also...  "It was great," Williams said of the experience. "The fans kept giving us energy throughout the game. Obviously, got some things to clean up and play better next week." That part is also true. Williams did miss a pair of tackles, according to analytics website Pro Football Focus, so it wasn't a perfect showing. One of those came on Barkley's 34-yard run in the fourth quarter – New York's longest play of the night.

On 10/16/2023 at 12:04 PM, Ramza86 said:

I want to say I noticed anything...but for the most part the Giants really did nothing all game.

Hoping part of the reason Giants couldn't do anything was that our guys had things covered enough to disrupt the Giants offense.  If they aren't all that taĺented on their offense can't hold it against s inst our defense that the did stop them when it mattered. 

Edited by AuntieEm

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Arguably the best well rounded slot in the league ... Tough in run support ..  can blitz off the edge .... Physical man corner and adept in zone 

That's why we are base nickel ... It has everything to do with Taron 

He’s kind of what the 90s era strong safety was. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Do we have to? Personally,  I'd like to see more 4-3. And if Milano and Williams can cover in pass plays, it'd be nice to have the extra LB against the run as well. I know it's not our base D, but... TB, Milano and Williams... I like the thought. 😁

Why? Genuinely asking.

On 10/16/2023 at 2:34 PM, HoofHearted said:

I know he overran his drop a couple times. I'd have to see the A22 to give a true opinion though. A lot of his faults right now are just eye discipline which will come with reps. I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far. You can't teach his speed and willingness to pull the trigger.

He definitely has the ability to pull the trigger ...  Closing speed for days .... Probably playing too fast RN which will come with the reps but a lot to like...  he bursts off the screen when he is clean and should really settle down in time vs pass... I really like his ability to finish 

On 10/16/2023 at 2:38 PM, GunnerBill said:

I think reps and just the game slowing for him. He is so fast and playing with such energy right now that at times it is just a tad frantic and he will learn that you don't have to be in perpetual motion to be effective. But agreed last night overall was encouring for him. 

He has a lot going for him ... His drops aren't there yet but that comes with snaps ... He needs more discipline 

A few overruns ...  but he is playing with speed and a quick trigger ...  so that shows he isn't thinking too much 

I would have to watch all of his snaps but he has lots of promise and I think the ball is gonna find him soon 

McDermott has an eye for modern NFL LBrs

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We should all want our young linebackers to play

They are on cost control contracts

Their ceiling is just going to continue to go up as they continue to play with more experience

It also has long lasting implications like draft selections. If we have found a Lbrs we don’t need to use those pics on other line backers they can go to other positions.

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Why? Genuinely asking.

As you can see from my avatar, I like Williams. Bernard is playing great imo, and when Millano gets back I don't think you can keep him off the field (as long as he is himself). I'd like to see all 3 of them on the field and see what they can do together. 

On 10/16/2023 at 12:06 PM, Rc2catch said:

That’s kinda how I viewed him. He’s fast, but almost playing too fast. Lot of positives in his game so far 

That’s the consensus opinion he is almost over pursuing, but has good instincts.  With playing time, he’ll settle down.  Milano is my favorite guy on defense, but he improved from 2017 and beyond.  You don’t get the finished product from a rookie as they grow in time.  I believe he’s doing a nice job given the few starts.  Bernard on the other hand is doing great, but he was raw as well last year.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

As you can see from my avatar, I like Williams. Bernard is playing great imo, and when Millano gets back I don't think you can keep him off the field (as long as he is himself). I'd like to see all 3 of them on the field and see what they can do together. 

For the life of me I don’t understand why Taron Johnson couldn’t move to outside CB in this scenario. I’ve brought this up before when discussing a 3 safety look. The Ravens had the best slot CB in football in Marlon Humphrey, but would move him outside when needed. Now he’s full time outside.

The Panthers did run a lot of 3 LBs with McDermott as DC when they drafted Shaq Thompson.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

For the life of me I don’t understand why Taron Johnson couldn’t move to outside CB in this scenario. I’ve brought this up before when discussing a 3 safety look. The Ravens had the best slot CB in football in Marlon Humphrey, but would move him outside when needed. Now he’s full time outside.

The Panthers did run a lot of 3 LBs with McDermott as DC when they drafted Shaq Thompson.

I'm not sure Johnson has the speed to play outside. I believe he's a 4.5+ guy and I think he is quicker than fast which I think makes him very good in the Nickle role. Humphrey has the length and speed to play outside and if I remember correctly,  he was projected to be an OCB. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Humphrey is 6ft, has 32 and 1/4 inch arms, runs a 4.41 and played outside corner in college. He also always played outside corner in Baltimore in base, but then he'd go inside in nickel and they'd bring another boundary corner in. Similar to how Denver used to use Chris Harris back in the day. 

Taron Johnson is 5ft10 with 30 and 7/8 inch arms, runs 4.50 and has never played outside corner ever. I love him as a slot. He is one of the best 3 or 4 slot corners in football. But he just doesn't have the length or speed to play outside for me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Why does that make us better I guess is what I’m really asking?

9 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Why does that make us better I guess is what I’m really asking?

At this point in time it's just conversation with Milano being out. But if we were to get into some weather games, I think it would be better against the run game to have the 3 of them on the field. As it sits now, nickel is probably our best option. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.