Are the Pats tanking?

stuvian

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

The Patriots were never the same team year-to-year. 

That’s why BB deserves credit as a GM. 

He knew which castoffs and vets to acquire at the right time. And - more importantly - he knew when to get rid of them. 

I get that most Bills fans hate to hear it … but he’s a better GM than the Bills have ever had and he’s a better HC than anyone has ever had. 

Period. 

Respectfully agree to disagree. Belichick sans Brady scares no one. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well BB currently is the same coach he was in Cleveland. An average coach with limited talent. Too soon?? He abused the Bills.. wasn’t real humble, got all the calls including the tuck. So he’s bad and so is his team.

I hope Kraft ( who suddenly isn’t getting shown 20 times a game) hangs on to him. They are not good and getting worse. Hope he coaches for 5 more years🤷🏻‍♂️

On 10/12/2023 at 9:03 AM, starrymessenger said:

Mac Jones is terrible in the NE O. But he'd probably be very good in San Fran. He has pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses as Brock Purdy.

Mac is dreadful. Shanny the arrogant got lucky with Purdy. Let’s wait before we anoint him as Montana. Shanny is not able to win the big game. 

On 10/12/2023 at 9:46 AM, High Football IQ said:

Sure hope not. Caleb Williams is one of the best QB prospects in the last 20+ years, some already saying the next Mahomes so definitely don't need that in this division especially on the Patriots. 🤢

Think we have heard this about several QB’s. I’ll see with Williams. The NFL is full of players who are not 3 stars vs 5 stars. Like the fact his not painting his nails w F Utah this year. That’s growth.. since they beat him twice. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PBF81 said:

His defenses got worse over time and he's supposed to be a defensive guru. 

They won very few playoff games because of their defense after Brady's early seasons. 

I’m not sure what your point is. 

Here is mine: BB did a great job building a team around a top tier QB. 

He is the best in-game head coach in the history of the game. 

He knows the rules better than anyone on the planet. 

And he led the teams that he built to six championships. 

There’s really no choice but to admire and respect a résumé like that. 

They were a middling roster then they had a bunch of injuries.  Idk that they’re tanking I think they’re just that bad talent wise at this point 

Deciding to tank in the midst of the season is pretty tough cuz the players are all playing for future contracts. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Well BB currently is the same coach he was in Cleveland. An average coach with limited talent. Too soon?? He abused the Bills.. wasn’t real humble, got all the calls including the tuck. So he’s bad and so is his team.

I hope Kraft ( who suddenly isn’t getting shown 20 times a game) hangs on to him. They are not good and getting worse. Hope he coaches for 5 more years🤷🏻‍♂️

Mac is dreadful. Shanny the arrogant got lucky with Purdy. Let’s wait before we anoint him as Montana. Shanny is not able to win the big game. 

Mac Jones and Trey Lance have, or have been thought to have, different skill sets. Mac Jones and Brock Purdy have pretty much the same skill set. They both have average arms, are good but not great athletes, are accurate, are good at reading defences, going through their progressions and making good quick decisions. Purdy is still better than Mac but the difference in outcomes is largely due to what they have to work with and what they are asked to do.  Kyle says he came within a whisker of drafting Mac at the top of the draft. Sure he's terrible in NE. I think he'd have had a much better career so far in San Fran and should be able to do a lot of what Purdy has done. This is also why I say I hope that whatever teams drafts Maye or Williams they know how to develop them and put them in a position to succeed.

Not comparing Purdy to Montana but he has the skills to be very successful in Shanny's offence and I don't think that's going to change.

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’m not sure what your point is. 

Here is mine: BB did a great job building a team around a top tier QB. 

He is the best in-game head coach in the history of the game. 

He knows the rules better than anyone on the planet. 

And he led the teams that he built to six championships. 

There’s really no choice but to admire and respect a résumé like that. 

BB has only done it with Brady, never with any other QB on the surrounding teams (aka Bledsoe and Cassel in adjoining seasons), and had been miserably poor in ten other seasons overall without Brady, while Brady has gone on to duplicate it under, at the age of 43 even, Bruce Arians. 

10 other seasons, two playoff appearances, 1-2 in them with his only victory over the Bledsoe leg Pats, ironically, getting hammered in the other two, never advancing past the divisional round.   There's absolutely nothing but extremely mediocre to abysmal performance there, argue as anyone may.  

And this season, ... LOL

Hope that clears things up.  🙂

16 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

BB has only done it with Brady, never with any other QB on the surrounding teams (aka Bledsoe and Cassel in adjoining seasons), and had been miserably poor in ten other seasons overall without Brady, while Brady has gone on to duplicate it under, at the age of 43 even, Bruce Arians. 

10 other seasons, two playoff appearances, 1-2 in them with his only victory over the Bledsoe leg Pats, ironically, getting hammered in the other two, never advancing past the divisional round.   There's absolutely nothing but extremely mediocre to abysmal performance there, argue as anyone may.  

And this season, ... LOL

Hope that clears things up.  🙂

Let’s compare Bill Belichick (GM and HC)  with Brady in his first 5 seasons as a starter vs. McDermott and Beane with Allen for his first five seasons. 

Three Super Bowls - three rings. 

vs. 

One AFCCG appearance. 

Hope that clears things up. 😘

11 hours ago, PBF81 said:

His defenses got worse over time and he's supposed to be a defensive guru. 

They won very few playoff games because of their defense after Brady's early seasons. 

I’d argue their defense played a large part in the Falcons comeback and the Rams Superbowls. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’d argue their defense played a large part in the Falcons comeback and the Rams Superbowls. 

On the former, sure, it's arguable, but I'd argue that it was more Brady's 466 passing yards and NE's 546 total yards that was responsible for the win, and not the Pats' defense which allowed the Pats to get into a 21-0 hole to start the game.  

As to the latter, sure, there's always a single data point in myriad of contrary examples.  

Kind of like using the fact that we only allowed the Ravens to score 3 points in our divisional playoff game in 2020 as a basis for the suggestion that our defense has been anything but bad in the playoffs allowing an average of 30 points, 25 1st-Downs, and 402 yards of offense in the other 6 games.  ... which includes having held the offensively bereft Patriots to 17 points in '21.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Let’s compare Bill Belichick (GM and HC)  with Brady in his first 5 seasons as a starter vs. McDermott and Beane with Allen for his first five seasons. 

Three Super Bowls - three rings. 

vs. 

One AFCCG appearance. 

Hope that clears things up. 😘

Great!  Let's move on from McD then.  

Otherwise, I'll defer to a 10-season career with some notable QBs BTW, Testeverde among them,

with a .467 winning %,

78-89 record,

1-2 in the playoffs with two combined losses tallying 76-26, an average loss of 38-13,

only three winning seasons in 10,

two playoff appearances in those 10 seasons,

and never a division win.  

Yeah, couldn't have been Brady who took Arians, an underachieving coach that had a single divisional round playoff win, to his only notable postseason play in his career with a Super Bowl win in his first season with Arians now, could it be.  ;) 

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Great!  Let's move on from McD then.  

Otherwise, I'll defer to a 10-season career with some notable QBs BTW, Testeverde among them,

with a .467 winning %,

78-89 record,

1-2 in the playoffs with two combined losses tallying 76-26, an average loss of 38-13,

only three winning seasons in 10,

two playoff appearances in those 10 seasons,

and never a division win.  

Yeah, couldn't have been Brady who took Arians, an underachieving coach that had a single divisional round playoff win, to his only notable postseason play in his career with a Super Bowl win in his first season with Arians now, could it be.  ;)

The Bills are definitely worse at cheating...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:31 AM, uninja said:

You honestly think that BB would willingly tank a season to set up his kid and not chase the all time wins record from George Halas? BB has 299 wins and needs 20 more to beat the record. He's gunning for it and you better believe it.

Maybe he doesn’t think he can get there between this season and next as is, and with Kraft’s approval is throwing this season to get an actual Qb, instead of being mediocre this season and next and subsequently losing his job. 

• Agree 1

On 10/14/2023 at 9:35 AM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They were a middling roster then they had a bunch of injuries.  Idk that they’re tanking I think they’re just that bad talent wise at this point 

Deciding to tank in the midst of the season is pretty tough cuz the players are all playing for future contracts. 

Agreed! It really hurt on Defense we lost our #2 CB Jones today so now they have JC Jackson and our 5th CB. Then add in losing Judon, and our pass rush is not that good anymore.  

Them there is the O which has not had the starting 5 O lineman play 1 full game together.. not 1. 

So while Mac looks gawd awful and I’d love get a shiny new QB who suppose to be good I’d be happy with Hairston JR or heck a nice competent OT. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.