What was the first R Rated movie you saw?

BillsPride12

Movies had competition from TV which used a different system which resulted in movie system revised.

https://www.filmratings.com/History#:~:text=The current rating system emerged,new parent-focused rating system.

The current rating system emerged in 1968, when MPAA chairman Jack Valenti replaced the earlier moral censorship guidelines, known as the Hays Code, with a revolutionary new parent-focused rating system. While the Hays Code authorized a movie for distribution based on whether it was deemed “moral” according to an exhaustive list of rules, the current movie rating system was born out of the simple notion that the movie industry wouldn’t approve or disapprove what audiences should see, but instead would focus on “freeing the screen” and educating parents to help them make movie-going decisions for their family. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Success said:

"Jaws" when I was 10.   I sat in the front row.

I was afraid to go in the deep end of a pool for a few years after that.  And to this day, when I swim in the ocean, I'm always looking around for a fin.

EDIT:  I'm kind of shocked - I just checked, and online it says "Jaws" was rated PG. Which is pretty surprising.

I think the 1st R I saw was Alien, then.  A crazy one to watch when I was that age, but the violent scenes didn't stick w/ me like "Jaws" did.

Saw Alien at the movies. When the "pod" exploded onto John Hurt's facemask, everyone jumped out of their seats (was all adults) and also jumped when it broke out of his chest later.

Edited by Wacka

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Tommy"  lol... I was 7 in 1975.

My older siblings and cousin were supposed to watch me. Probably why I am so effed up. 😆 

Behind the green door didn't work for you?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Tommy"  lol... I was 7 in 1975.

My older siblings and cousin were supposed to watch me. Probably why I am so effed up. 😆 

I'm a big fan of The Who and Tommy is one of my favorite albums, but that movie was really bad. It had a couple of good scenes, like Elton John doing Pinball Wizard, Tina Turner singing the Acid Queen, and a scantily-clad Ann-Margret in a tub full of baked beans, but outside of that, it was unwatchable. I thought the Broadway musical was good, though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I'm a big fan of The Who and Tommy is one of my favorite albums, but that movie was really bad. It had a couple of good scenes, like Elton John doing Pinball Wizard, Tina Turner singing the Acid Queen, and a scantily-clad Ann-Margret in a tub full of baked beans, but outside of that, it was unwatchable. I thought the Broadway musical was good, though.

elton john makes it unwatchable but getting buzzed before the midnight movies made most of Tommy the main choice... usually it was either that or rocky horror. Good times, good days, good puss...

in 1980 a movie named "Fame" was released. It was rated R.  The movie pertained to a performing arts high school. 

Anyway fast forward to 2000 and I see it is being shown on cable. So I watched it with my kids and 2 of their friends

Mom of friends was NOT happy I showed her kids an R rated movie.   OOPS. 

There were some harder R's  than others. I didn't think that movie was that bad at all .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1st ever was "Hamburger: The Motion Picture" when my neighbor's older sister and her boyfriend were "babysitting" us.  Truly awful movie.

1st in a theater was "Hard to Kill" to kick off my middle school Steven Seagal phase: "I'm gonna take you to the bank, Senator Trent -- to the blood bank!"

On 10/14/2023 at 3:32 PM, Augie said:

My Dad took me to see Dirty Harry when I was maybe 11-12. I guess he wanted to see Dirty Harry, and I enjoyed the brief nudity quite a bit more than the shoot ‘em up part.

Remember, I was 11-12. 

Is it not both sad and amusing at how mesmerizing nudity is to young men? Well probably all men. 😂  

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Brief nudity was the greatest simple pleasure in life as an 11 or 12 year old boy 

At that age I’d take a flash of flesh over going blind trying to see the scrambled Playboy Channel! Then again, at that age I’d take whatever I could get….. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.