Israel and the Slaughter in Gaza

3 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

lighten up Francis.  I thought if it were actually him he'd find it funny.  And his brother too.  They would have laughed when I knew them.  Didn't see either at a recent informal reunion. No one there had seen him in years.  I'm happy to hear of his accomplishments.  Your update makes me proud and thankful of them.  And I'd tell them.  The tree story was directly relayed to me by the older brother shortly after it occurred. I heard the fort Niagara story from the source as well.  I should have added he stated "please provide your own flotation devices" for the D day re enactment.  He had a sense of humor. He was a good friend.  Their dad wrote me a letter of rec for a Naval med school scholarship.  Been to each others childhood houses many times. Finally, the history you provided makes my speculation about Tony being Sherpa almost reasonable....one last thought:  you seem to know Lewiston.  So you know it's generally (or was) establishment R's.  So was I but I changed.  So have the

-- "Lighten up, Francis": ok, fair enough, I'll give you that one. Good point.

-- To be frank: I was bit in the azz by your blithe, earlier ref to them as "tin soldiers," though I realize the context was as Fort Niagara reenactors.

-- Why ticked? Their ~1910s immigrant family (uncles, cousins) has served in every major US military operation since eligible. One uncle: 173rd Abn, WW2 and Korea. Another uncle: Green Beret, with tours in Vietnam and other counter-insurgencies, retired Colonel w 82nd Abn. Cousins: many, many deployments over multiple conflicts, from peacekeeping, to combat engineer, to counter-IED, to XYZ. I've already provided what the brothers themselves did.

Point is: theirs is a military family that has gone way above and beyond the call for their country. I hope you realize that use of "tin soldier" (no matter context) anywhere in their vicinity really chafes. Maybe it's just me.

-- Yes, I'll agree with you that the stories are funny. But the Capt G. "tree incident" needs context. He definitely had solid reason to toss the m'fer!

-- Last: Anthony (nobody calls him Tony) is most definitely not @sherpa!!

Ok, 'nuf said.

Edited by Dukestreetking
Grammar policing
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I really have no idea how this should all play out, but it seems that beyond the obvious —the time for peace was before the attack and slaughter of Israeli citizens, but perhaps Bernie should recognize there’s been 20+ days to release all the hostages and definitely did not. 

48 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

-- To be frank: I was bit in the azz by your blithe, earlier ref to them as "tin soldiers," though I realize the context was as Fort Niagara reenactors.

-- Why ticked? Their ~1910s immigrant family (uncles, cousins) has served in every major US military operation since eligible. One uncle: 173rd Abn, WW2 and Korea. Another uncle: Green Beret, with tours in Vietnam and other counter-insurgencies, retired Colonel w 82nd Abn. Cousins: many, many deployments over multiple conflicts, from peacekeeping, to combat engineer, to counter-IED, to XYZ. I've already provided what the brothers themselves did.

Point is: theirs is a military family that has gone way above and beyond the call for their country. I hope you realize that use of "tin soldier" (no matter context) anywhere in their vicinity really chafes. Maybe it's just me.

-- Yes, I'll agree with you that the stories are funny. But the Capt G. "tree incident" needs context. He definitely had solid reason to toss the m'fer!

Ok, 'nuf said.

I’ve been confused by this post.  You seem to know this family of which Fergie speaks, who are they?  

2 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

Ok, 'nuf said.

fair enuf.  tin soldier was definitely in ref to his old fort days.  he never told me the details about the tree, just that it happened.  I agree with the insensitivity of "Tin Soldier.  I'll edit it out.  Anthony was younger than me and not really a close friend but L was. btw, his dad wrote a 1 sentence letter in support of my application.  did more harm than good.  Got turned down supposedly over an elevated White Blood cell count on 2 separate draws.  when I applied to the air force i didn't ask again.  But yes, the family is very worthy of honor.  I actually had a patient whose son knew Anthony well in the Navy.  he sent a message back that he'd tell Tony Hi for me so somebody called him that.  Anywho, it was an awesome place to grow up.  Go Bills!

and you write well-Citadel?

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Also in the article and probably a more balanced response.

Czech Foreign Ministry says UNGA resolution missing 'several key elements'

The Czech Foreign Ministry posted a more moderate statement on X, explaining its decision, including the absence of a Hamas condemnation, the lack of demand that Hamas release the hostages  and the failure to mention Israel’s right to defend itself.

“The resolution doesn’t provide assurances that the delivery of the urgent humanitarian assistance is not abused by Hamas and other terrorists. If we are not clear about the need to stop terrorism, we are not making progress towards the desired peace in the Middle East,” the Foreign Ministry said.

“Czechia is firmly committed to the two-state solution, which remains the only vital perspective to ensure Israel’s security and to fulfill the Palestinian desire for their own statehood," it said. "Both Israelis and Palestinians deserve to live in peace, security, and dignity.”

6 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ve been confused by this post.  You seem to know this family of which Fergie speaks, who are they?  

Also confused, but I finally figured it out. Paraphrasing, briefly:

1. Several days ago, Sherpa makes insightful comment on naval issues.

2. Joe Ferg acknowledges, then wonders--b/c info so good--if Sherpa is actually a real life Navy ADM he knows, "Anthony". I won't use his last name.

3. Ferg makes follow-on posts re this ADM, then brings in stories re his brother, a fmr Army Captain.

4. Nobody would ever know who Ferg is talking about, but he brings them up again! It just so happens that I do know them, very well.

5. A little pissed, I finally ask what is going on with these obscure references. Since, again, I actually know them.

6. The brothers, and extended family members, have served this country faithfully.

That's about it...back to regular programming.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dukestreetking said:

Also confused, but I finally figured it out. Paraphrasing, briefly:

1. Several days ago, Sherpa makes insightful comment on naval issues.

2. Joe Ferg acknowledges, then wonders--b/c info so good--if Sherpa is actually a real life Navy ADM he knows, "Anthony". I won't use his last name.

3. Ferg makes follow-on posts re this ADM, then brings in stories re his brother, a fmr Army Captain.

4. Nobody would ever know who Ferg is talking about, but he brings them up again! It just so happens that I do know them, very well.

5. A little pissed, I finally ask what is going on with these obscure references. Since, again, I actually know them.

6. The brothers, and extended family members, have served this country faithfully.

That's about it...back to regular programming.

Thank you…do you know Fergie as well, or is the story he referenced some local legend? 

That’s my last question, and I don’t want to know more about Fergie, Sherp or you—beyond knowing you hung out with Bruce  and Terry at the beach at Stocktons Wing, of course. 

Just unusual you know the same folk. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

beyond knowing you hung out with Bruce  and Terry at the beach at Stocktons Wing, of course.

Freaking great! I think we discussed that once.

Anyway, not sure if I can answer a question re "local legend(s)", as I did not grow up in the area. However, I suspect Lew-town residents, 50+ yo, would know about the brothers.

Do not know Fergie...as far as I know (!)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

Freaking great! I think we discussed that once.

Anyway, not sure if I can answer a question re "local legend(s)", as I did not grow up in the area. However, I suspect Lew-town residents, 50+ yo, would know about the brothers.

Do not know Fergie...as far as I know (!)

Ask L about the groundhog he killed and fixed on the spit and left in the glands....inedible.  Again, Kudos on your writing!  Liberal Arts?

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1

18 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I really have no idea how this should all play out, but it seems that beyond the obvious —the time for peace was before the attack and slaughter of Israeli citizens, but perhaps Bernie should recognize there’s been 20+ days to release all the hostages and definitely did not. 

Sanders is thinking of the innocent civilians of Gaza who had nothing to do with any attack. You think the children of Gaza are guilty of terrorism? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Sanders is thinking of the innocent civilians of Gaza who had nothing to do with any attack. You think the children of Gaza are guilty of terrorism? 

They will be when they grow up.  Whack them all out now before they causes any trouble.  

Anyone wanting to help the Palestinian people should be protesting against Hamas. Muslim extremism is a dead end ideology that only leads to more suffering for the Palestinians. Until they understand that, the suffering will continue. After WW II, Germany and Japan learned the lesson. Once Hamas is severely weakened, maybe then the Palestinians will be open to peace negotiations again. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You ask really silly questions. 

Sanders spoke for 6+ minutes and offered platitudes and nothing else.  My point originally, which you chose to ignore, was that instead of yammering on about deaths "per capita" (what a creepy thing to say), was simply that the time to release hostages was immediately after they were taken.   This old fool spent more time saying nothing about something than you often do--and you're very good at that. 

He couldn't bring himself to demand an immediate and unconditional release of all the hostages by Hamas.   No, instead he lectured Israel about the hazard of being enraged about their innocent men, women and children being butchered. 

https://nypost.com/2023/10/30/news/shani-louk-kidnapped-at-israeli-music-festival-found-dead/

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

Anyone wanting to help the Palestinian people should be protesting against Hamas. Muslim extremism is a dead end ideology that only leads to more suffering for the Palestinians. Until they understand that, the suffering will continue. After WW II, Germany and Japan learned the lesson. Once Hamas is severely weakened, maybe then the Palestinians will be open to peace negotiations again. 

I can only only assume that @Tiberius would have suggested that the allies in WW2 stand down and allow the German and Japanese peoples safe space to reflect as they pushed forward with their chosen leaders pursued a reign of terror across the globe. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You ask really silly questions. 

Sanders spoke for 6+ minutes and offered platitudes and nothing else.  My point originally, which you chose to ignore, was that instead of yammering on about deaths "per capita" (what a creepy thing to say), was simply that the time to release hostages was immediately after they were taken.   This old fool spent more time saying nothing about something than you often do--and you're very good at that. 

He couldn't bring himself to demand an immediate and unconditional release of all the hostages by Hamas.   No, instead he lectured Israel about the hazard of being enraged about their innocent men, women and children being butchered. 

This is not true. He talked of a proposal. You missed that. You call my question silly yet you can't even get simple facts straight 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

This is not true. He talked of a proposal. You missed that. You call my question silly yet you can't even get simple facts straight 

Your question was silly because I commented on Sanders comments, and that lead you to ask if the children of Gazans were terrorists.   "Silly" was me being kind to you, and for that you are welcome.

He lectured for 6 minutes.  He could have demanded the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages, but he didn't, for reasons unknown.  Based on his love of cold war Soviet-style government, one can only assume. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Your question was silly because I commented on Sanders comments, and that lead you to ask if the children of Gazans were terrorists.   "Silly" was me being kind to you, and for that you are welcome.

He lectured for 6 minutes.  He could have demanded the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages, but he didn't, for reasons unknown.  Based on his love of cold war Soviet-style government, one can only assume. 

But you were wrong about what he said. Not silly because you acted like all Palestians were responsible, which IS silly 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

But you were wrong about what he said. Not silly because you acted like all Palestians were responsible, which IS silly 

The Palestinians voted Hamas into office.  All have blood on their hands.  Nuke 'em.  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Of the three parties to this conversation--Sanders, Tibs, and me--the only person who brought up the collective responsibility of all Palestinians was you.  Why, I cannot say. 

Even now, you're fixated on that subject and even refuse to acknowledge the truth and common sense of what I stated:  Bernie Sanders should have demanded the immediate and unconditional response of all hostages.  The time was not "now", the time commenced on 10/7 and has repeated daily until this very moment. 

Why are you against the immediate and unconditional release of the hostages?  In fact, would you not agree that the innocent citizens of Gaza should be joining the rest of the free world in demanding their immediate release? 

Some things are not complicated, Tibs. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Of the three parties to this conversation--Sanders, Tibs, and me--the only person who brought up the collective responsibility of all Palestinians was you.   

Not true 

28 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Even now, you're fixated on that subject and even refuse to acknowledge the truth and common sense of what I stated:  Bernie Sanders should have demanded the immediate and unconditional response of all hostages.   

He did. Get your facts straight 

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Not true 

He did. Get your facts straight 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You are one stupid idiot. 

Do you smoke human sh it or something? 

You're coming unglued, Tibs.  I think you're conflicted.  I think you know that the hostages should be returned immediately, no questions asked and Sanders should have said so.  I think you think that Hamas releasing them weakens their negotiating position and in the end, you're pro-Palestinian and that includes quiet support for the actions of Hamas.  That's not to say I think you're pre-terror, I just think you've rationalized the actions of Hamas and Palestinians as...necessary.    

I think you're all sorts of turned around, and people like Bernie Sanders gives you cover to proceed with your support of actions you should condemn.  

What I may/may not be smoking is completely irrelevant to your actions, but damn you really know how to supersize the creep factor on things to smoke!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You're coming unglued, Tibs.  

No, that's you, accusing people of stuff you only wish they believed. That's what idiots do. 

I'm calming responding to your idiocy. No sweat of my brow

Crazy stuff 

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-10-30-23#h_76166b7d40c52307181d55ebbcb44e45

47 min ago

Hamas releases new hostage video showing 3 women 

From CNN’s Eyad Kourdi, Lianne Kolirin, Amir Tal, Hadas Gold, Adam Levine, Stephanie Halasz and Richard Allen Greene 

Hamas on Monday released a short video showing three women who are believed to be captives held by the Palestinian militant group since its terror attack on Israel on October 7.

The hostage video is only the second released by Hamas since more than 200 people were taken into Gaza. It appears as intended to undermine Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with pointed criticism over his leadership by the detained women.

The video shows them seated in plastic chairs facing the camera, while the woman in the middle addresses Netanyahu directly with increasing fury. 

She makes reference to a press conference by families of the hostages “yesterday,” suggesting it was filmed on Monday.

The video comes just days after progress in hostage negotiations fell through, a fact referenced by the speaker who mentions a supposed “ceasefire.” Israeli leaders Friday dismissed talks of a breakthrough in talks as a rumor as they announced an expansion of the ground campaign.

The woman speaks fluently and does not appear to be reading from a script, but because the women are hostages, the statement could have been made under duress. 

“You promised to release us all,” she says, suggesting she is aware of hostage negotiations. She finishes with a demand to “free us all,” screaming: “Now! Now! Now!”

Relatives of the hostages have named the women as Elena Trupanov, Danielle Alony and Ramon Kirsht. Aloni is the speaker. 

The women do not show visible signs of physical mistreatment, but CNN is unable to verify anything about their circumstances or well-being. 

Netanyahu’s office confirmed the names in a brief statement, addressing the women, "who were kidnapped by Hamas who commits war crimes."

"I hug you. Our hearts go out to you and the other abductees. We are doing everything to bring all the kidnapped and missing people home," the office statement read.

Israeli television channels 11 and 12 are showing a still from the video on air. Channel 13 is not, saying on air it is honoring a request from the relatives.

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Crazy stuff 

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-10-30-23#h_76166b7d40c52307181d55ebbcb44e45

47 min ago

Hamas releases new hostage video showing 3 women 

From CNN’s Eyad Kourdi, Lianne Kolirin, Amir Tal, Hadas Gold, Adam Levine, Stephanie Halasz and Richard Allen Greene 

Hamas on Monday released a short video showing three women who are believed to be captives held by the Palestinian militant group since its terror attack on Israel on October 7.

The hostage video is only the second released by Hamas since more than 200 people were taken into Gaza. It appears as intended to undermine Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with pointed criticism over his leadership by the detained women.

The video shows them seated in plastic chairs facing the camera, while the woman in the middle addresses Netanyahu directly with increasing fury. 

She makes reference to a press conference by families of the hostages “yesterday,” suggesting it was filmed on Monday.

The video comes just days after progress in hostage negotiations fell through, a fact referenced by the speaker who mentions a supposed “ceasefire.” Israeli leaders Friday dismissed talks of a breakthrough in talks as a rumor as they announced an expansion of the ground campaign.

The woman speaks fluently and does not appear to be reading from a script, but because the women are hostages, the statement could have been made under duress. 

“You promised to release us all,” she says, suggesting she is aware of hostage negotiations. She finishes with a demand to “free us all,” screaming: “Now! Now! Now!”

Relatives of the hostages have named the women as Elena Trupanov, Danielle Alony and Ramon Kirsht. Aloni is the speaker. 

The women do not show visible signs of physical mistreatment, but CNN is unable to verify anything about their circumstances or well-being. 

Netanyahu’s office confirmed the names in a brief statement, addressing the women, "who were kidnapped by Hamas who commits war crimes."

"I hug you. Our hearts go out to you and the other abductees. We are doing everything to bring all the kidnapped and missing people home," the office statement read.

Israeli television channels 11 and 12 are showing a still from the video on air. Channel 13 is not, saying on air it is honoring a request from the relatives.

Damn. media is publishing terrorist hostage videos, and someone believes the words the captives are saying.

you don't negotiate with terrorist.  They are not a militant group no matter how many times the same voices try to legitimize terrorism.

Glad the families of them don't have to watch that horrible propaganda.

Well, this will sure move the world forward 😟

More children killed in Gaza than in global conflicts annually over past 4 years, Save the Children says

From CNN Staff

The number of children reported killed in Gaza during Israel’s military campaign over the past three weeks has surpassed the annual number of children killed in armed conflict globally in each of the past four years, according to Save the Children.

More than 3,000 children have been reported killed in Gaza since October 7 by the enclave's Hamas-controlled health authorities. 

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-10-30-23/h_4ca9897b094d242a3994b1e7b901ebf1

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Well, this will sure move the world forward 😟

More children killed in Gaza than in global conflicts annually over past 4 years, Save the Children says

From CNN Staff

The number of children reported killed in Gaza during Israel’s military campaign over the past three weeks has surpassed the annual number of children killed in armed conflict globally in each of the past four years, according to Save the Children.

More than 3,000 children have been reported killed in Gaza since October 7 by the enclave's Hamas-controlled health authorities. 

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-10-30-23/h_4ca9897b094d242a3994b1e7b901ebf1

Sorry but will need proof of this. 

• Thank you (+1) 1