Zack Moss revisited

Sierra Foothills

14 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The Bills drafted running back Zack Moss in the 3rd round (86th overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft. At the time I liked the pick and thought of him as a good physical back. He flashed at times as a Bill but was mostly a disappointment partly because of his inability to stay healthy and partly because of his general ineffectiveness. He never seemed to resemble the player he was at Utah.

Finally last Halloween we traded him to the Colts for fellow running back Nyheim Hines. Besides swapping him for Hines, we acquired two physical runners (Damien Harris and Latavius Murray) to provide that ruggedness that Moss was supposed to bring us.

By the time he was shown the door he was pretty much a whipping boy for members of this forum. It hasn't been spoken of much around here but Moss has quietly resurrected his career.

Here are his stat lines from his last 5 regular season games with Indy:

Zack Moss last 5 Regular Season Games with the Colts
Date ATT YDS YPC
12/17/22 24 81 3.38
12/26/22 12 65 5.42
1/1/23 15 74 4.93
1/8/23 18 114 6.33
9/17/23 18 88 4.89
AVERAGE 15.4 84.4 5.48

I'm curious if anyone here has any insights as to what has changed to make him a seemingly effective NFL running back. Health? Scheme? Also would you say his improvement has vindicated the Bills decision to draft him in the first place?

Other factors in this are running styles. I have not analyzed him to say it’s so….

a good example of this was Herschel Walker in a big trade from cow oup YS to Vikings. He was an utter bust in minnesota, what Dallas got help them go on the 1990s Super Bowl run.  Reason was Walker was one running style thst minnesota running system in play design was the opposite style needed. Minnesota style relied on backs thst coukd shift and get to gaps while Walker relied solely on sn open gap to run without having to shift or cut .

this trade and a few others proved the point of system fit is necessary in nfl talent where just because player is great on one team makes him great for all.

Edited by djp14150
  • Like (+1) 1

Other factors in his play are things like…

1. if you feel you have to do a big play to try and prove yourself you can try to hard snd not do well.

if you know going in you won’t get benched because of a fumble or unsuccessful run snd you can play the full game you relax snd likely perform better becsuse you don’t have to constantly watch over your back.

yiu see this in other sports like hockey rookies/ young players being called up or make opening roster or September call ups in baseball where the coaches say relax we will let you play the next 7-20 games and we understand mistakes might be made.

Edited by djp14150

For me NO i never liked the pick he was basically the same size as the backs the Bills had already had on the team & other backs that were in the same draft as him were bigger & weighed more so i for one would ask if you want a back for more of a short yardage, tough yards, goal line back .

Wouldn't you rather have a guy that is bigger & weighs more than a smaller one ?

This week the Bills will see first hand one back that i really wanted the Bills to pick up in the draft that is with the Washington team Brian Robinson his size, weight, strength & running ability has shown him to be exactly what i thought the Bills have needed for a long time but i'm only a fan .

There also have been others that i wanted the Bills to get like AJ Dillon, Antonio Gibson but again i'm only a fan but any of them would fit the bigger back profile that the Bills now have which makes me think our running game will be much better than it has even though i liked Motor a lot .

I'm glad he is doing better but i'm really glad he is no longer on the Bills roster because if he was still here we wouldn't have who we do now ... 

Edited by T master

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills were 1st in yards per carry in the NFL by RB's in 2022.

Which is the more pertinent stat to the discussion anyway.  (You are correct that they were 2nd in overall in ypc to the Bears because of Justin Fields running exploits).

The issue isn't that yards per carry isn't a great stat.   I mean there is out-of-the-box rationale and then there is just off-target and the idea that a full season ypa isn't a great stat is the latter.

Some fans just think that you should always be able to run the ball at will whenever you want to.......which isn't how it works in the NFL......so when the Bills have a less effective day on the ground some just can't maintain that perspective.   Even great running teams sometimes have mediocre-to-pathetic games on the ground.   

Even Thurman had at least one bad game.  I can't recall one off the top of my head which tells me he never had such a terrible game that it stands out as some painful old wound.  Yet I'm sure he had a bad game in a Bills uniform at some point.

21 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Zack Moss last 5 Regular Season Games with the Colts
Date ATT YDS YPC
12/17/22 24 81 3.38
12/26/22 12 65 5.42
1/1/23 15 74 4.93
1/8/23 18 114 6.33
9/17/23 18 88 4.89
AVERAGE 15.4 84.4 5.48

Nice table! I've tried inserting them here, but I was not able to do different widths for columns like you did. There isn't an option for that (or is there?) How did you do that?

This is what TBD shows me:

table.jpg

Edited by chongli

13 minutes ago, chongli said:

Nice table! I've tried inserting them here, but I was not able to do different widths for columns like you did. There isn't an option for that (or is there?) How did you do that?

This is what TBD shows me:

table.jpg

I let "it" autosize the cells... I didn't attempt to control their sizes but it proportioned pretty well by itself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bills fans tend to overreact for the positive and negative

He always had talent but was the guy that needed Carries, more than five a game to be effective

And he basically had the same role as singletary.. but being his back up

In fairness, I think most fan bases do the exact same thing

• Like (+1) 1

I am excited with the RB room the Bills have now, but I for one am happy Moss is finding success with the Colts....was a big fan of his when he played in college and thought he would be the feature back here in Buffalo.

30 carries for 122 yards plus a 17 yard receiving TD in today’s win vs. the Ravens.

Keep up the good work, Zack!

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, FireChans said:

Did you vote for Eisenhower in the last election?

No, but Eisenhower's corpse would be an improvement over Biden.  Guess you don't remember the wind game here when the Patriots threw it three times and beat us.

Edited by Nuncha

3 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

No, but Eisenhower's corpse would be an improvement over Biden.  Guess you don't remember the wind game here when the Patriots threw it three times and beat us.

How did that season end for them? 

I seem to recall the good QB putting the bad QB in a box and beating them by 40 in the playoffs. In Buffalo.  Throwing the football. The horror!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.