Bills missed opportunity to ditch McD and sign genius Sean Payton

4merper4mer

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I think they beat the Bears next week with relative ease. I don't think there's a worse team than the Bears. I didn't watch the Fish game yesterday, but from what I've read Wilson actually played pretty well and was let down by his receivers (drops, fumbles). Fields seems terrible to me.

I didn't watch it either...just going by them losing as home favorites to the Raiders and Commandos and then giving up 70.

Agreed that the Bears are awful.

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

By every metric, Wilson is playing better this season: 99.5 rating, 59.9 QBR, 7.6 ypa, 65.4 percent completion percentage, 6/2 TD INT ratio. His PFR rating-plus is 113, which means he's 13 percent above average in that category (he was at 91 last year).  

Take away the first 15. I haven't seen the numbers post yesterday but before yesterday the pattern was first 15 - good.... after that as bad as last year.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, 4merper4mer said:

Remember that one?

Lol

Don’t look now but Payton’s Broncos have beaten the Chiefs, Bills, Browns and Vikings… all in a row.

They were one of the worst teams in the league last season and now they’re knocking on the door of the playoffs.

Great coaching matters… even if it takes a quarter season to get the kinks worked out.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2023 at 9:44 PM, Einstein said:

Don’t look now but Payton’s Broncos have beaten the Chiefs, Bills, Browns and Vikings… all in a row.

They were one of the worst teams in the league last season and now they’re knocking on the door of the playoffs.

Great coaching matters… even if it takes a quarter season to get the kinks worked out.

Any updates on this?

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/18/2023 at 8:48 AM, Ramza86 said:

I still think McD is a trash can lol.

I would take any good offensive mind to be the coach of this team.

I'll die on that hill as well.  As long as we have Allen, get an offensive minded HC in here.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Any updates on this?

Payton had a great season.

- Won 7 of their final 11 games.

- Took the Broncos offense from 16.9ppg last season to 21.4 with Payton.

- Took the Broncos defense from 26th in NFL (points) last season to 14th this season

The Broncos were horrible last season and Payton made them respectable in 1 offseason. 

Great job (and no, I don’t desire him in Buffalo).

Anyone laughing at what Payton did in Denver over the past 10 months is just being ignorant.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Payton had a great season.

- Won 3 more games than Hackett did with the Broncos last season.

- Took the Broncos offense from 16.9ppg under Hackett to 21.4 with Payton.

- Broncos defense went from 26th in NFL (points) to 14th.

- Won 7 of their final 11 games.

The Broncos were horrible last season and Payton made them respectable in 1 offseason. 

Great job (and no, I don’t desire him in Buffalo).

Anyone laughing at what Payton did in Denver over the past 10 months are just being ignorant.

The best thing he did was pull the plug on Russ Wilson. That was a boil that needed lancing. And he didn't delay. 

He did in a bit of an ass like way... but that is Sean Payton for you. His conviction that Wilson was the problem not the solution was correct.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The best thing he did was pull the plug on Russ Wilson. That was a boil that needed lancing. And he didn't delay. 

He did in a bit of an ass like way... but that is Sean Payton for you. His conviction that Wilson was the problem not the solution was correct.

Agreed, and that’s honestly just the latest good decision. He is a really good coach and pulls no punches. I respect that. I won’t be surprised if Denver is a playoff team next year.

On 9/18/2023 at 8:48 AM, Ramza86 said:

I still think McD is a trash can lol.

I would take any good offensive mind to be the coach of this team.

It’s a good thing you don’t get paid to think 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agreed, and that’s honestly just the latest good decision. He is a really good coach and pulls no punches. I respect that. I won’t be surprised if Denver is a playoff team next year.

The Bills are a playoff team THIS year.

Just now, Einstein said:

All depends if they can find a Quarterback doesn't it? Payton is one of those guys who can get serviceable play out of below average QBs - Bridgewater, Winston, late career Wilson, even arguably final season Brees. But to win he needs a QB. 

They don't have many assets to trade up for one. Maybe they take the 4th or 5th best guy in the class at #14 or wherever they pick. Maybe as rumoured they fancy Kirk Cousins. They are one of the more intriguing question mark teams for the offseason. But in the AFC if Payton is going to make the Broncos any sort of contender he will need to find an answer to that conundrum. 

Otherwise there was some good and some bad in his first year. But as an offensive playcaller he is second only to Andy Reid in his generation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.