Josh has lost confidence… reasons why.

Toledo Bill

13 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

A couple of years ago Josh would confidently stand in the picket and throw. Yes, he would still break out and run when needed but I remember sometimes thinking… wow, he had great protection.

I can only guess what has led to a now skittish, frustrated quarterback.

1. of course the offensive line seems to have regressed terribly.

2. Have defenses basically figured Josh (and our play calling out)?

3. Poor coaching

I am interested in opinions. Hopefully this is fixable.

Figured him out in that let's make him be patient as he can't.  He will for awhile, but then as others stated the hero ball and arm arrogance takes over.

Maybe he needs to hear/read more in the media ripping him about these things to take it to heart.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Bills should have a pre-recorded post game interview for when Josh plays bad. It's always the same thing...

"I need to play smart and learn to limit my mistakes and take what the defense gives me and be smart with my body and not take those hits. The best ability is availability!"

Derp. Thanks Josh.

How about the media does their job and we actually ask the TOUGH QUESTIONS?:

So how are you going to actually FIX these things? Are you going to study this film and make adjustments?

"I don't watch a lot of tape, the teams play us different and I want to be able to react."

That doesn't sound like a good idea Josh. Surely you will be taking care of your body so you are available for your team.

"I'm not a big workout guy. I like to give my body time to recover and that's what works best for me."

Uhhhhh Josh, this doesn't sound good. I hope you will be eating well and getting some good sleep.

"My favorite wings are Bar Bill. I'm a big fastfood guy, love Chick-fil-A. I'm a whisky guy." (You were hammered last night - Kyle Allen) "I can neither confirm nor deny."

Josh, it sounds like you are doing absolutely nothing right and just relying on your athleticism to run around and make wild plays and you throw the ball up into danger and take big hits. I don't think you are taking this seriously.

"Ok...."

josh-allen-ok.gif

Stop telling the world you're going to fix them when you don't.  Very disingenuous.

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Figured him out in that let's make him be patient as he can't.  He will for awhile, but then as others stated the hero ball and arm arrogance takes over.

Maybe he needs to hear/read more in the media ripping him about these things to take it to heart.

They have been riping him. Cowherd constantly talks about his reckless play although today's topic was more about how much Josh misses Daboll.  Josh needs "arm arrogance" therapy and Dorsey/ McD aren't the guys to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

They should have Josh study Tom Brady and Pats.  Brady post Randy Moss was a high efficiency, dink and dunk passer, churning first down after first down, and winning Super Bowls.

Tom didn’t play hero ball.  Yet he has more rings, and most consider him greatest QB ever.

Brady was Joshs hero growing up.

• Agree 1

I'd like to chime in.

Defenses started playing Mahomes...AND ALLEN with alot more shell cover 2.  The pct of that d being played has gone WAY up in the last 2 seasons. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/defenses-are-slowing-down-great-passing-attacks-your-move-chiefs-and-bills/

The Chiefs adjusted to it by taking what the D gives.  Mahomes YPA, AYPA all that, way down, but still was efficient because he and the coaches were able to reign in the idea that the deep shots were there.  They weren't.  The lack of deep passing by KC last year was stunning.  Teams play the Bills this same way and Allen keeps taking deep shots when better options are out there.  Last night was a great example of this.  

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/2/8/23591100/patrick-mahomes-development-boring-chiefs-eagles-super-bowl

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I'd like to chime in.

Defenses started playing Mahomes...AND ALLEN with alot more shell cover 2.  The pct of that d being played has gone WAY up in the last 2 seasons. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/defenses-are-slowing-down-great-passing-attacks-your-move-chiefs-and-bills/

The Chiefs adjusted to it by taking what the D gives.  Mahomes YPA, AYPA all that, way down, but still was efficient because he and the coaches were able to reign in the idea that the deep shots were there.  They weren't.  The lack of deep passing by KC last year was stunning.  Teams play the Bills this same way and Allen keeps taking deep shots when better options are out there.  Last night was a great example of this.  

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/2/8/23591100/patrick-mahomes-development-boring-chiefs-eagles-super-bowl

Pretty much what a lot of this board seems to think. Allen just hasn't shown he has the discipline to take what is available. Of course, Mahomes is helped by the presence of Reid and Kelce. Our OC hasn't shown a great ability to scheme guys open. A lot of the Bills passes seem to be a struggle where the receiver is blanketed and a pinpoint throw is required for a completion

Edited by buffblue

12 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I'd like to chime in.

This is the answer.

Anyone who watches game film will tell you, the problem is not Ken Dorsey.  The easy plays are there for Josh, but he's JUST NOT TAKING THEM.

Bottom line is that he's impatient.  Instead of taking what the defense gives him, he's always looking for the big play and the kill shot.  And when the game starts spiraling out of control, he's starts pressing even MORE and the mistakes start compounding.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 9/12/2023 at 6:22 AM, oldmanfan said:

The line is better than last year.  They held up OK against a great D line last night overall.  Dorsey made some head scratching calls, but Josh had guys open and didn’t take the easy throw.  And I don’t think defenses have figured things out.

Defense figured out Josh will not take the easy throws.  Last year he could blame it on arm injury making certain throws difficult.

• Agree 1

On 9/12/2023 at 6:45 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

When do we blame Hailee Steinfield?

now.  right now! 

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

This is the answer.

Anyone who watches game film will tell you, the problem is not Ken Dorsey.  The easy plays are there for Josh, but he's JUST NOT TAKING THEM.

Bottom line is that he's impatient.  Instead of taking what the defense gives him, he's always looking for the big play and the kill shot.  And when the game starts spiraling out of control, he's starts pressing even MORE and the mistakes start compounding.

well, it is and isn't Ken.  On the one hand, Ken is calling plays that fit the underneath passing system, and JA is missing them.  On the other hand, why can't Dorsey get through to Josh that he needs to make these passes.  

I hate to recommend this because it's insane, but Dorsey needs to pull the leash on JA at some point if he keeps playing like this.   He does not follow the system and is arrogant that he can solve everything with a long pass.  Perhaps being humbled a bit will help.  He is not helping the team overall when he plays like this.  

15 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

So next week if the Bills win, will it be blasphemous to speak criticism of Josh again?

depends.  Do we win the same way we did last year or in the Dolphins games, namely, with a bunch of bonehead JA plays?  AT this point, I need to see a long chain of smart plays by JA before I'm confident he can be "the guy" long term.  

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Stop telling the world you're going to fix them when you don't.  Very disingenuous.

They have been riping him. Cowherd constantly talks about his reckless play although today's topic was more about how much Josh misses Daboll.  Josh needs "arm arrogance" therapy and Dorsey/ McD aren't the guys to do it.

Personally I think Daboll may be getting too much credit here.  I think he may have got out of town just in time before teams figured Josh out and would have been the same issues even if he were still here.

Agree the fall out in the media since Monday has been rather brutal.

48 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

well, it is and isn't Ken.  On the one hand, Ken is calling plays that fit the underneath passing system, and JA is missing them.  On the other hand, why can't Dorsey get through to Josh that he needs to make these passes.  

I hate to recommend this because it's insane, but Dorsey needs to pull the leash on JA at some point if he keeps playing like this.   He does not follow the system and is arrogant that he can solve everything with a long pass.  Perhaps being humbled a bit will help.  He is not helping the team overall when he plays like this.  

This is professional football.  There is only so much a coach can do.

All the teaching in the world means nothing if the player refuses to apply it in game situations.

One of my kids is very similar.  He's got a temper problem, and has a real tough time controlling himself when things get heated.

When he finally calms down, I can sit-down and reason with him.  He completely understands how his behavior needs to change.

But when he gets upset, the same problems start rising up again.

Now in Year 6, I'm afraid we may need to accept that Josh Allen isn't going to change.  In the middle of a fast-moving, high-pressure NFL game... he just can't control himself from going nuts and trying to single-handedly take over.  Even in his greatest games, you rarely see him play smart and efficient from the pocket for 4 full quarters.  It's mostly big throws down the field, scrambling around the backfield and lasers in-between defenders.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

This is the answer.

The problem could be a little bit Ken Dorsey. I've read that we have a deep to shallow passing progression, where Allen is supposed to look deep, then intermediate, then short for a dump off. If the deep stuff is never going to be there, then this offensive philosophy is flawed and will have Allen standing in the pocket too long.

I think we're going to need more than 1 game against an elite defense (probably top 3 with the Cowboys and 49ers) to know for sure. By the midway point of the season we'll see if the TEs are actually getting more involved.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.