Around the NFL Week 1

HappyDays

35 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

“Vaunted defense” was non existent against the chargers - they have massive problems on defense and were exposed

jist so happens the chargers defense decided to not show up

Like others have said - like the Baltimore debacle - I’m not buying what the dolphins are selling 

Ok no

again what about how horrible the dolphins defense was?  Absolutely horrendous 

only plus I saw for Miami was McDaniel actually being smart at football game management - that’s it

Nothing else was overly impressive 

like Baltimore how do you let tyreek behind you that many times ?  Would never happen against a legit defense 

That team is overhyped and I’m not buying 

Over hyped by who? The Jets are getting all the hype. 

It was a shootout brother. Think about the KC Philly SB or the Bills vs KC 13 sec game. 

Both defenses will have better days. 

I disagree with your postm

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No the Chargers defense showed up, they're just terrible.

For a defense having two of the three largest salaries for a defensive player in the league, you would expect better. For that amount of $ you then add Derwin James… Yeah. Very disappointing. 

$69m a year is bonkers for 3 players. With Herbert, those 4 players make up nearly half your amount a year at $120m…

🤯🤢

Count me in as being impressed w Miami.  All summer when the Jets hype machine was in full gear, I told my Bills friends it's Miami that we should be worried about.  And yesterday did nothing to change my mind.   The only thing that will derail Miami is injuries to their main guys.   If they stay healthy,  the Phins will be in the mix and be a playoff problem for some teams.

Edited by zow2
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, BBFL said:

For a defense having two of the three largest salaries for a defensive player in the league, you would expect better. For that amount of $ you then add Derwin James… Yeah. Very disappointing. 

$69m a year is bonkers for 3 players. With Herbert, those 4 players make up nearly half your amount a year at $120m…

🤯🤢

It really is.  After 2 seasons and 1 game, I really I don’t see anything redeeming about qualities about Staley as a HC.  He got the job because he was Aaron Donald’s DC for one season.  He doesn’t call defensive plays and he makes blunder after blunder.  I was very happy when they retained him.

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Part of it I do put on his coaching. It doesn't seem he's been taught very much since being drafted. The other part....now understand this comparison I make is NOT talent wise....but he seems to almost have a JP Losman vibe about him

He reminds me of Kirk Cousins....or Phillip Rivers.

2 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

He reminds me of Kirk Cousins....or Phillip Rivers.

Couldn't disagree more on both.

Kirk and Rivers are both very verbal...emotional leaders/players. As much as I dislike Kirk and was neutral on Rivers they both have that fire inside. 

Herbert is very...beige as far as his play. Like I said, elite physical gifts but doesn't not seem to have that elite drive inside him. He's Buffalo Bills era Kyle Orton if Orton had arm talent. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

It was a 5th rounder in 2023 because he was reinstated but the 2nd rounder depends on him signing a long-term extension.  It can be a 3rd rounder based on playing time.  But that's all because he was suspended indefinitely at the time of the trade.

Here are the terms per NFL.com

“Should Ridley be reinstated past a certain date, the 2023 fifth-round pick will turn into a sixth-rounder, per Rapoport. If Ridley makes the team in 2024, the second pick will be worth at least a fourth-rounder. A playing-time milestone converts the pick into a third-rounder and the Jaguars will give up a 2024 second-round pick if the team strikes a long-term deal with Ridley.”

Plus his $11M cap hit this year.

They are unable to move their 2024 second, third or fourth right now as they are potentially involved in this trade. Ridley is not under contract in 2024, so they are going to have to pay him or let him walk (and save the picks.) Saying they got him for a “fourth and fifth” is disingenuous.

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not bad for what looks like WR1. Can you imagine him on the Bills with Diggs and then Davis could excell as the WR3. Wow. 

No not bad at all, but with the rash of suspensions for gambling over the last 2 years it was hardly a no brainer.

Do I wish we traded for Ridley knowing what I know now?

Yes.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

No not bad at all, but with the rash of suspensions for gambling over the last 2 years it was hardly a no brainer.

Do I wish we traded for Ridley knowing what I know now?

Yes.

Agree. He wouldn't have fit into the Bills high character culture McD has built. 

Personally, I think the Ridley suspension was too harsh but I get the NFL has to protect its integrity. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Couldn't disagree more on both.

Kirk and Rivers are both very verbal...emotional leaders/players. As much as I dislike Kirk and was neutral on Rivers they both have that fire inside. 

Herbert is very...beige as far as his play. Like I said, elite physical gifts but doesn't not seem to have that elite drive inside him. He's Buffalo Bills era Kyle Orton if Orton had arm talent. 

It's not the details of their playing styles.  To me, Kirk and Rivers both have great stats and great ability...but when you look at their record it's meh.  Always seem to win less than they should.  Yes, part of that is team and coaching...but there also seems to be something missing that is hard to pinpoint.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, zow2 said:

Much like the Browns took Baker Mayfield #1 overall and *Should have* taken raw, unproven super athlete Josh Allen...  I think Carolina will regret taking Bryce Young over super raw, big, athletic Anthony Richardson. 

Not that Young won't be decent,  but Richardson has the look of a QB that could be really really good in the near future.

I would have taken Richardson. Go big or go home. He has huge potential

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.